Coming Soon : Seven Years War

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
mdwn15
Reactions:

Re: Coming Soon : Seven Years War

Post by mdwn15 »

Hi Remus thank you to yours added comments...now Montcalm have to defend Quebec again...this mod look great...we can see or imagine far away on the battlefield the giants grenadiers from the <<Alte Fritz>> awaiting the enemy create fear just by showing their large size. :woohoo:

read just if you are interresting about story !!!

https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/histor ... -soldiers/

In fact:

He wanted just a guard as there were in all countries at the time (an elite regiment dedicated to guard the sovereign in peace, as the Maison du Roy in France, the Life Guard in England, the Chevaliers-Gardes in Russia, etc.). Only, it was indeed a fixette for great soldiers, and indeed he moved heaven and earth in all countries then to recruit the greatest men you can find. But now, suddenly it was right for her robes, the Guard (a regiment of barely 3,000 men) was good to remain at attention in front of the foreign personalities knowing that these giants were mostly foreign peasants who had never held a gun in their lives.

It was only for show; unlike other guards (Imperial Guard in France under Napoleon, Knights-Gardes in Russia under Alexander I, etc.) that grouped the best soldiers of a country, and therefore could be used in combat, the regiment of giants was made up of peasants, monks, bakers and other trains-slippers recruited or abducted (truthful) throughout Europe. Frederick I do not intend to fight, and the few times she actually fought it did not do much (she went to the French after Jena in 1806,) ;)
Choose man or General we are all soldiers and will make our duty
remus
Reactions:

Re: Coming Soon : Seven Years War: New Screenshots

Post by remus »

Hi all
A new set of screenshots showing new unit types for the initial OOB of the Battle of Leuthen. The first two shots are of the Grenzer Battalions that fought for the Austrian empire. These are classed as frontier troops and also known at times as Pandurs. The third is of Austrian curassiers

The next four shots are of the four variations of the austrian musketeers ie AustroHungarian, red, green and blue

The next four shots contain the Bavarian contingent these will be slightly different in the final game,and the next three are shots of the prussian fusiliers note the smaller mitre caps.

Finally the next shots are a panoramic view of a game test.

The game played played out over two hours and there was no problems. I actually had a win playing the Prussians who are outnumbered almost 2 to 1.I still have a few more additions to include. Working on the artillery at the moment. Shouldn't be too long now.

Enjoy
Remus
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hi all

This is probably the last of the screenshots I'll be posting. These two are Austrian and Prussian 12lb cannons. I'm hoping to include some 3lb battalion guns which will look similar but it depends on how the memory goes. Anyway it shouldn,t be too long now

Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Thank You Remus. I'm looking forward too this mod.

Cheers, and take care.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wenzel
Reactions:

Post by Wenzel »

Hello remus!

This looks very promising! Thanks for taking up this war that is largely forgotten by the world of wargamers! Wargaming seems to be an anglo-centric hobby, while in some parts of Europe, military history is frowned upon (I guess that - somewhat understandably - the world wars have rendered "military history" a frowned-upon hobby in Austria and Germany, for example).

I think I can call myself a Silesian-Wars-afficionado. I've been working on a giant mod (portaying the Kolin capaign in central Bohemia) for AGEOD's rise of Prussia with completely overhauled mechanics, troops, and a new map, but the huge amount of work needed to paint and image-map the map kind of defeated me (so the project is on hold for now). AGEOD has updated their forum recently, so the images are all (still) missing, but maybe you're interested:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=267&t=35358 (MOD "Silesia Inrupta")
http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=267&t=34956 (Unit graphics)

I've never really played the Scourge of War games in depth, partly because I was not interested in the topic (US civil war), partly because the mechanics seemed strange to me (the real killer for me is the lack of colisions/disorder - battalions have no footprint, soldiers simply organize themselves around the battalion's center-point, thus all units move by far too flexibly and can move through each other without any malus; it's polonaises all over the place) but your mod might raise my interest. Are you planning to expand on this mod, or will it just be an aesthetical/uniform mod? I might be interested to delve into modding game mechanics to suit my idea of mid 18th century warfare a bit more.

The models look very nice. Apart from some matters of taste regarding the uniforms (or rather the effect weather would have on them), there is only one point that really made me wonder: The horses are much too big (especially for dragoons and hussars). Is that an issue of the stock/vanilla game?

PS: Here are some of my unit icons for the WIP-mod for inspiration - I based them on period artwork, not on uniform plates à la Knötel and Osprey as most of them seem rather inaccurate to me (especially the Prussians, since they're based on the Prussian uniforms of the 1780s, not the 1750s).

If you have any questions or need period material please let me know!
Attachments
Unit_PRU_Wietersheim_grenadiers.png
Unit_PRU_Wietersheim_grenadiers.png (7.53 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_PRU_GarrisonRegVII_grenadiers.png
Unit_PRU_GarrisonRegVII_grenadiers.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_PRU_Itzenplitz_grenadiers.png
Unit_PRU_Itzenplitz_grenadiers.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_AUS_Kalnoky_hussars.png
Unit_AUS_Kalnoky_hussars.png (11.37 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_PRU_Bornstedt_infantry.png
Unit_PRU_Bornstedt_infantry.png (7.9 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_AUS_WarasCreuz_grenzer.png
Unit_AUS_WarasCreuz_grenzer.png (8.89 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_AUS_Neipperg_infantry.png
Unit_AUS_Neipperg_infantry.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unit_AUS_Neipperg_grenadiers.png
Unit_AUS_Neipperg_grenadiers.png (8.56 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Last edited by Wenzel on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hello Wenzel

Thank you for your post.Like yourself this is one of my favorite wars. The different uniforms are part of the attraction as well. Having bought and played Empire Total War and also Rise of Prussia I ended up frustrated by the lack of immersion in the period. Scourge of War was an opportunity for me to immerse myself in the research of the uniforms and also the history of the era.

As you pointed out there are problems with some of the mechanics of the gameplay but it still offers me the opportunity to see opposing armies in action, of a period I love, in a way that neither of the two games mentioned above were ever able to do. To my knowledge there is no game out there that will come close to experiencing what SOW can deliver.

My vision with the SYW period is to reproduce as much of the Battles that occurred during that time as possible. As you would know this will include battles with the French,Russians,British and minor states as well.

The mod which will be released in the near future will not be perfect either. I am an amateur and would have done this for my own satisfaction. Constraints of the engine for example will not allow me do do absolutely every uniform that units wore, so I have to work with the tools I possess.The range of horses for example are limited to me as I converted them but don't scratch build them. At least not yet. Uniforms are based on Project Syw and may or may not be totally accurate but the resource is a good one and as you have stated it takes a lot of work not only painting but preparing to put in game.

I am hoping with the release of the mod that I will get positive feedback on things that will improve it. Formations may not be perfect at the moment but others with more knowledge can input and the mod itself will evolve to a better product.

Hope I answered some of your questions
Remus
Wenzel
Reactions:

Post by Wenzel »

Thank you for your answer! If you need info on any habsburg-army-related topic let me know. Over the years, I've acquired quite a small library on AWS & 7YW related stuff and could help you out if you have any particular questions.

I've reinstalled SOW Gettysbourgh and l'm looking forward to the release of your uniforms. I've downloaded the SDK and will take a look at what's possible as far as modding the game-mechanics is concerned over the next few evenings. Right now, I'm afraid gameplay does not seem very convincing to me for several reasons, but perhaps I can tweak movement and fire-combat-resolution to my liking. It just seems so wrong to see battalions move through each other so easily and and manoeuvre flawlessly under enemy fire. But I'm not going to highjack your topic with my modding-jabber.

May I ask you how you do these sprites? You've mentioned that you use 3ds max. I'm a total noob at 3d modelling. So, you've got a 3d model and take snapshots from it from several angles and in several positions?
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Wenzel asked?

"May I ask you how you do these sprites? You've mentioned that you use 3ds max. I'm a total noob at 3d modelling. So, you've got a 3d model and take snapshots from it from several angles and in several positions?"

Hi Wenzel
Yes that is pretty much how it works. Problem is it can be labor intensive.

"but perhaps I can tweak movement and fire-combat-resolution to my liking. It just seems so wrong to see battalions move through each other so easily and and manoeuvre flawlessly under enemy fire

Anything that you could contribute in this area would be appreciated. Any feedback on SYW once its released as long as it makes for a better experience will be very welcome

Remus
Last edited by remus on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenzel
Reactions:

Post by Wenzel »

Allright! So I will open up a new thread for my experiments with mechanics (and also sounds) as soon as I've figured out what is possible and what not. Even though the core of my "problem" seems to be written in stone (units' footprints are points, not shapes, and there are no means to detect "colisions" between units) I have some general ideas how to adjust the game to be more to my liking and also a bit closer to mid 18th century warfare as I understand it.

E.g. I think of replacing "fatigue" (which is more of a long-term-factor) with "cohesion/order" (more of a short-term factor), and I will pay special attention to proper precautions for movement and surprise - if marching units loose cohesion, being caught flat-footed should be really bad - ideally, players are encouraged to screen their movements with troops that loose less cohesion on the march (medium and light cavalry, elite/light infantry such as grenadiers and grenzers). The advance guard is supposed to keep the enemy at bay until the main force is ready for battle (is deployed and has recovered fatigue=cohesion). Manoeuvering of this kind did not neccessarily play a large role in the actual big clashes (but on a large scale, consider e.g. Rossbach or Torgau, where large bodies of troops "manoeuvered" into battle), but there were many many smaller engagements throughout the war offsides the big battles (you'll get an idea by reading the "Großer Generalstab" very carefully or also the Journal of Horace St. Paul). I'm more interested in these smaller, very flexible engagements as I consider them more interesting from a gamers' perspective, and I think the SOW-maps are large enough to allow for some interesting manoeuvres.

I'm looking forward to your models! :)
Last edited by Wenzel on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

You may find that converting a version of this mod to the Waterloo engine will pay you dividends since the AI.dll file in that game allows a lot more modding options. The KS mods have abandoned 'fatigue' as a concept and opted for 'cohesion' as well. It makes a lot more sense.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.