Have you heard of SweetFX and JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
HarveyKrumpet
Reactions:

Have you heard of SweetFX and JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler?

Post by HarveyKrumpet »

Hello Everyone,

Just purchased SoW GB last week so I'm newly minted. I've tried to read much of the forum history so I can catch up on SoW history. One issue that I haven't seen mentioned is the program "SweetFX". SweetFX is a free post processing graphics enhancement program. Since it's post processing you don't take the FPS hit that you take with with AA etc. It also has color enhancements, effects, etc that you can set up as a profile. The changes can range from subtle (is it even working?) to more obvious. I use it in IL2 Cliffs of Dover (Battle of Britain) Silent Hunter V and enjoy the enhancements. You can get the latest version at

Guru3d forums :
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=381912

Another program that may interest you as war gamers is "JoneSoft's Generic Mod Enabler v2.6.0.157", also free. It is a separate mod enabler almost exactly like the SoW Mod program except that as you add mods it alerts you as to any overwrites, or possible conflicts that the two mods may have functioning together. I have used it to inject SweetFX into SoW before SoW's Mod program injects its mods. I am currently experimenting to see it it matters whether injecting all mods through JoneSoft's Generic Mod Enabler makes any difference. If this doesn't thrill you with its use in SoW you may find a use for it in other games. There are many copies out on the web, but the latest version that I have come across is the one I mentioned above.

I should warn you that I have ventured far from my knowledge base and what you see above is about the extent of my knowledge of the two programs, except that you may enjoy them.

I hope I haven't violated and forum rules mentioning the 2 programs, but if I have it was with the best intentions, and a small effort to pay back for this fantastic game.

Very sincerely,

Bill Jarrell

PS Believe these will work in WATERLOO equally well
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Have you heard of SweetFX and JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler?

Post by Saddletank »

Interesting news. I am taking a look.

The SweetFX Configurator link:

"Download SweetFX Configurator with SweetFX 1.5.1 included here"

Is broken though - could you fix it please, or offer another link?

Thanks.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
HarveyKrumpet
Reactions:

Post by HarveyKrumpet »

Try: http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/?p=137.

Glad you you are taking a look. Lot of profiles. Some for image enhancement only and many with color tweets.

Bill
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I know JSGME from the Silent Hunter games, it is excellent but not the other one.
HarveyKrumpet
Reactions:

Post by HarveyKrumpet »

If you Google it you'll be amazed.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Try: http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/?p=137.

Glad you you are taking a look. Lot of profiles. Some for image enhancement only and many with color tweets.

Bill
Thanks, I got it.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Hi HarveyKrumpet

Just tried out SWEETFX in single play.

Works really well, even with mods activated. MP might be more of an issue but I expect I will try that out soon.

I took some comparison screen shots but I expect posting them here would not show the effect off to the full. I still need to play around with it more to get the best settings. Also, I need to check out FPS hit.

I found this vid very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v21m_p7d2A4

Big thanks :)
HarveyKrumpet
Reactions:

Post by HarveyKrumpet »

This site explains some of the mysteries of SweetFX

https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... der-suite/

HK
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Grog, please let me know your settings, I installed it as well but saw little difference other than slightly saturated colours. Given that SoW almost exclusively uses low-res 2D sprites I doubt this software would have much effect. I did think the 3D model building textures looked a little crisper.

Two downsides: I think it gives me an FPS hit in MP and it also crashes SoW if I alt-tab out in MP, giving a DirectX 9 error which is odd as my PC has DirectX 11 installed - is SoW DirectX 9 based?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Is SoW DirectX 9 based?
Tank - I think that it is based on DX9 and DX10 - probably not DX11.

Click on the Scourge of War directory - it should have some of the dll files listed.

I added a lot of dll files to that directory so I'm not sure which files were already there, adding files neither help nor seem to hurt so I left them there years ago.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!