Use of Forum Threads

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Use of Forum Threads

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Hi JohnVW

Just one more post on a unique thread then let's call it a day.

The guy you were castigating, NHall, for hi-jacking your thread was making his very first post on the forum. I really think a little kindness was called for in this instance.

I tried to address his problem, although at the outset I did not realise the reply would stretch to four posts. You will note that, in my final post, I did suggest that the matter be switched to e-mail or private message. So I do support your general point about cluttering threads.

I really don't think threads are the property of any one person though even if they were the very first to post. They belong equally to all members of the forum. Personally I accept criticism on my use of the forum only from the moderator ....... and I have been posting since the very early days of TCBR.

I have never liked the e-mail option for notification of replies to posts. It is no substitute for accessing the forum daily and taking interest in everybody's posts.

I have sympathy with your wanting an American Revolution mod, I do too, and I hope hope that Waterloo will finally encompass this. I have been quite vocal in my time trying to drum up interest in Mods, Boer War, Zulu Wars,the First World War Palestinian Campaign etc, all without success...... but one still hopes.

Thanks for the suggestion on use of the flash drive. Whilst Flash Drives might cost $10 in downtown USA, they cost considerably more here in rural Zimbabwe hard up against the Mozambique border .... and I am a pensioner. The DVD I can get for 20c.

The DVD, just over 3 GB content, copied to hard drive in about six minutes, and the program performs perfectly.

A good new year to you JohnVW. I would love try American Revolution with you on multiplayer and get some revenge for Cornwallis.

If NHall reads this, can you let me know please if you are interested in my offer.
Unless you are still buried under the snow somewhere !

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Use of Forum Threads

Post by Davinci »

Well Said!

I have been around since the days of CWBR also, and I can tell you that nobody has ever stayed on the topic of the original post!

We have always just let that go, which is quite unique about this forum. The Moderators really don’t have to waste too much of their time which frees them up to concentrate on the newer game.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
alessillo
Reactions:

Re: Use of Forum Threads

Post by alessillo »

I have been quite vocal in my time trying to drum up interest in Mods, Boer War, Zulu Wars,the First World War Palestinian Campaign etc, all without success...... but one still hopes.
I with Crikey, Zeke and Pom are working on a new mod about the Zulu Wars and the Mahdist Wars.

Cheers!

alessillo