Networking Failed To Launch Message

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
John Buford
Reactions:

Networking Failed To Launch Message

Post by John Buford »

LOL.. I never thought I'd have so much trouble setting up to host something. I've been trying to troubleshoot so I can narrow things down and report as specific info as possible to aid in debug but am not sure where to start, so I figured I start with this one, since this is the first show stopper.

When I go to host, either via a room or the host button, I have been intermittingly getting the message "Networking failed to launch..."

The log:

Game Launched
12:07:16 Version:SOWGB1.10
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Device Caps:
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) FogTable: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) FogVertex: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) AlphaBlend: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) BilinearFilter: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) DDRAWHasAGP: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) WBuffer: 0
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) MaxTextureWidth: 8192
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) MaxTextureHeight: 8192
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) SquareTexture: 0
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Pow2Textures: 0
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) MaxBlendStages: 8
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) MaxSimultaneous: 8
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) SeparateTextureMemory: 0
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Projected Textures: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Hardware TnL: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) ScissorTest: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) StencilDepth: 8
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Two Sided Stencil: 1
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) NPatches: 0
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Pixel Shader Profile: 7
12:07:31 PR: (WARNING) Vertex Shader Profile: 4
12:07:32 Loading Defined Lists
12:07:32 Initializing
12:07:32 SOWGB Loaded
12:07:32 12:07:32
12:07:37 Networking failed to launch.
12:07:37 Server Started...

I started with a fresh install of 1.1 full (in other words I did not patch 1.0 or 1.03 beta). After the reinstall, I was able to go via room or host button and received the "Network started" message. Yay! So I moved on to the next problem which is I can only get one person other than me to be able to connect/join, but that is for a later discussion. However this time when only one person was able to join, I left the client and looked at a few things, rebooted the modem, router and my computer based on a suggestion. Then, when restarting and trying to host either via room or host button, I received the failed to start message.

I'm hoping to get this problem fixed before I move on to the others. I am comfortable with port forwarding, setting up static IP's, allowing firewall exceptions, DMZ and all that jazz, and I've been over everything at least a dozen times.

So can anyone take some time to help me trouble shoot this? It would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

~B
Last edited by John Buford on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DMA ---> DMZ ugh.
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
- General John Buford at Gettysburg.
norb
Reactions:

Re: Networking Failed To Launch Message

Post by norb »

That's a message that is printed out as a result of RakNet returning an error code. It's something that should not happen. Not that this does you any good at all. But it's such a basic thing that should work. It just initializes raknet and if it fails it prints this message. So why would you be getting it. I'll go to raknet and see:

/// \return False on failure (can't create socket or thread), true on success.
John Buford
Reactions:

Re: Networking Failed To Launch Message

Post by John Buford »

I think I've figured this one out.

I did a complete unistall, remove game folders, reboot, reinstall (same location) trying to deal with another issue. That's when I started getting this problem.

In one of my flailing abouts, I double checked my XP firewall setting and noticed the previous entry for SOW was there. On a whim I deleted it, rebooted and recreated it.

I have yet to see the "Networking Failed to Launch message". I believe that solved it, but I dunno how or why considering it was the same executable name in the same path structure.

On to the next issues... ugh.

Thanks for your reply Norb.

~B
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
- General John Buford at Gettysburg.