GAMEY ARTY TACTICS

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
AP514
Reactions:

GAMEY ARTY TACTICS

Post by AP514 »

Afew things in Multiplay that are starting to get totally unreal.

1) Players are drive'n arty units up to within 70-100 yard range of the enemy infanty units.
No way a arty battery would do this gallop up limbered.(half the unit would be hit by the time they unlimbered) If they were already in position they would be getting ready to withdraw...
2) Art fireing CANNISTER over friendly inf heads that are barely 20 yards to the artys direct front. They were on a small slope.(if an arty battery did this the friendly unit would about face and shoot them) Has anyone seen how CANNISTER/double spreads out very quickly up/down and out ? They would be blown Holes in their own lines....

O.K. that is the big ones...

Things I think would help with this problem....
1) Arty units with in say 100 yrds of ENEMY INF should start takeing attrition(sp)Although there might be an INF unit(closer)that is the primary target. Some of the inf unit will shoot at the arty ?
2) use a CONE for LOS on arty use'n CANNISTER. or some thing that ensures there must be a larger swath/area for the arty to shoot threw.

AP514

Comments are welcome/ flames are not
larrytagg
Reactions:

Re:GAMEY ARTY TACTICS

Post by larrytagg »

AP514 wrote:
Afew things in Multiplay that are starting to get totally unreal.

1) Players are drive'n arty units up to within 70-100 yard range of the enemy infanty units.
No way a arty battery would do this gallop up limbered.(half the unit would be hit by the time they unlimbered) If they were already in position they would be getting ready to withdraw...
2) Art fireing CANNISTER over friendly inf heads that are barely 20 yards to the artys direct front. They were on a small slope.(if an arty battery did this the friendly unit would about face and shoot them) Has anyone seen how CANNISTER/double spreads out very quickly up/down and out ? They would be blown Holes in their own lines....

O.K. that is the big ones...

Things I think would help with this problem....
1) Arty units with in say 100 yrds of ENEMY INF should start takeing attrition(sp)Although there might be an INF unit(closer)that is the primary target. Some of the inf unit will shoot at the arty ?
2) use a CONE for LOS on arty use'n CANNISTER. or some thing that ensures there must be a larger swath/area for the arty to shoot threw.

AP514

Comments are welcome/ flames are not
Thanks for the observations, AP. I agree, both things are ahistorical; attacking with arty disappeared with the advent of the rifled musket. We'll discuss it.
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

Good observations but of course the difficulty in shooting the artillery lies in the inefficiency of these unmodded muskets, else the arty would immediately be annhilated by musket fire.

I like better the way of attrition as with working on other guns' morale when one is hit. If the batteries are close to one another the RGT should be able to rout them all with minimal losses.

This doesn't solve the problem of the arty limbering and routing with the gun but it's still better than have regiments destroyed by multiple cannister rounds when essentially we know what would happen with 300 rifles shooting on 60 men (15x4): instant slaughter (and survivors running). If attrition can be worked on morale, by routing a gun you will force the others to rout too as soon as they start taking losses (at that point you don't even need to mod the muskets to kill more than they do because the goal is achieved).
Hyde
Reactions:

Post by Hyde »

I know that most if not all of us have encountered and feel the similarly about the mentioned arty tactics, and I agree that some refinement is needed.

However, I would like to point out that I feel the artillery being fired upon situation is handled better here than in tc2m, despite it not being perfect.

In the old game, you could fire on a battery all day and barely cause significant casualties. At least here, you do have the chance to inflict serious damage on the opposing battery before you completely rout. I think it is really much closer to the realism we want.
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

I agree Hyde, it's much much better than it used to be in Tc2M.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

The problem is that the guns can fire canister without being targeted at all, because there are infantry closer to the enemy than the guns. That way the enemy infantry only target your infantry, leaving your arty to blast away without risk.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Geneal William D. Pender
Reactions:

Post by Geneal William D. Pender »

Main reason people have the arty so close is just because of the fact that the arty is bascily inaffective over 300 yards...its very fusterateing when the target your shooting at isnt even moving but yet at 400 yards or so you wont hit a thing.
Join Us for are campaign its 1861 and your respectable side needs you.

http://theshenandoahclub.net/