Poor performance post- v1.4.

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Poor performance post- v1.4.

Post by Garnier »

@Soldier

Can you run a forested/wheatfielded map with maximum terrain and tree detail and view distance, and move the camera around without any lag?

That's what I can't do. So instead when I need smooth FPS for playing multiplayer, I use the T key.

It's not simply that the game is slow or not -- there are a huge combination of variables that determine whether it will run slow on a given machine. If you find what exactly makes it slow on yours, you can avoid it. For me, it runs slow with lots of terrain sprites showing, or when there are big (30000 man+) AI armies. It's not anybody's "fault". If they had restricted the amount of sprites and army size there could be, it would always run fast for me -- but I prefer that we get to decide what limits we have individually.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Soldier - I was just summarising my annoyance at people's general attitudes that they always seem to think its someone else's fault. It can't be the game because the game runs fine on 100s of PCs, ergo it has to be something on the PC in question.

The person's harsh demand that "the game be fixed" is equally unfair.

I was just highlighting todays blame culture, its become far too prevalent and too easy to dumnp the blame on others and not look to your own responsibility.
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

@Soldier

Can you run a forested/wheatfielded map with maximum terrain and tree detail and view distance, and move the camera around without any lag?
Well. . . as you know. . . I almost never play single-player. But I did play several GCM single-player campaign games that were decently large and I played like I always host MP games: uniforms and objects on best. And the games ran faster and smoother than MP I host, it seemed to me. I only hit the T button when I want to see in the woods or when my boys are fighting in the woods.

Perhaps I should give this thing called sandbox single-player a try and see how my computer does in a big game against the ai (yuck).
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

ha:) im sure you'll survive :)

I always found my MP performance was alot lower than my SP.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

There are different kinds of performance too -- my singleplayer in a large battle definitely runs at lower frames per second than MP, all else being equal, presumably because of the AI.

Multiplayer has the lag every time you give an order, it takes a half-second or so before the order is executed, whereas it is instant in singleplayer.

Also, if you play with someone else who has a slow computer as is often the case, multiplayer will run slow, as in the time will go slowly, BUT this should not affect your graphics frames per second -- you should be able to move the camera around just as smoothly.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Nudz
Reactions:

Post by Nudz »

Soldier - I was just summarising my annoyance at people's general attitudes that they always seem to think its someone else's fault. It can't be the game because the game runs fine on 100s of PCs, ergo it has to be something on the PC in question.
Wait. How, exactly, do you know that the game runs fine on hundreds of computers, and how do you define "fine"? To some people, 15 FPS on "Medium" draw distance and 75% trees showing is "fine". To some... not so much. :whistle:
I was just highlighting todays blame culture, its become far too prevalent and too easy to dumnp the blame on others and not look to your own responsibility.
In my honest opinion, the entire "Those damn kids these days and their blame culture and lack of responsibility and grumble, grumble, grumble..." -argument loses some impact if you take into consideration that in literally 100% of the cases I've had so far where a game performed considerably worse on my computer than it technically should, it turned out it was their fault, and not mine. So I don't think it's such a stretch of me to assume that also this particular game, already not running as well as it should on account of it not supporting multiple cores, just might be more to blame than my machine who has a history of running just about every game I've ever installed on it smoothly on max settings, except for a remote few low-budget indie-productions that turned out not to be my machine's fault to begin with, and eventually all getting fixed by patches or ATI-updates.

I'd also like to repeat one particular thing I pointed out, earlier - I'm very, very far from being a computer expert, but I would assume that if my computer was somehow incorrectly configured or infected with spyware, this would have an effect on my performance in general, not just this one particular isolated game. Of course, I'm prepared to stand corrected on that.
Last edited by Nudz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Nudz wrote:
I'd also like to repeat one particular thing I pointed out, earlier - I'm very, very far from being a computer expert, but I would assume that if my computer was somehow incorrectly configured or infected with spyware, this would have an effect on my performance in general, not just this one particular isolated game. Of course, I'm prepared to stand corrected on that.
Until you demonstrate that there is nothing amiss with your computer, you are wasting everyone's time including your own by coming here and complaining ad nauseum. Thousands of copies of this game have been sold and you are one of the very few complaining that you cannot get it to work to your satisfaction. Your solution is to accuse the author of this game of being incompetent and demand that he meet your expectations. That display of arrogance will hardly generate any help from this community. Instead, it will only make others assume that you are just another overindulged teenager. Since you only seem to have problems with, "low-budget indie-productions that turned out not to be my machine's fault to begin with", your solution is obvious; stick with the fine fare you get from the likes of Electronic Arts and their ilk.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Nudz
Reactions:

Post by Nudz »

Until you demonstrate that there is nothing amiss with your computer, you are wasting everyone's time including your own by coming here and complaining ad nauseum.
I'll gladly demonstrate (edit) it. Tell me how. - Edit: No cursing allowed on this forum, keep it civil. con20or.
Thousands of copies of this game have been sold and you are one of the very few complaining that you cannot get it to work to your satisfaction.
Just because the bug may be obscure, that doesn't mean it's not the game that causes it. The developer himself pointed out in this thread how the game is significantly behind the times in the technology department, and there were others in this thread who also had poor performance despite their hardware. The difference is that they didn't seem to have that much of an issue with this. To some people, a game running in 11 FPS is no biggie, apparently.
Your solution is to accuse the author of this game of being incompetent and demand that he meet your expectations.
Your solution is to accuse my computer of being poorly configured and full of viruses, and demand that I "prove" otherwise, borderline accusing me of lying. The reasoning behind your standpoint is that there have been few complaints, thus far. The reasoning behind my standpoint is that every game that has so far ran sub-optimally on my system, has had the fault proving to be on their end, and I don't really see what would make this one so different.
Since you only seem to have problems with, "low-budget indie-productions that turned out not to be my machine's fault to begin with"...
No, I've had problems with some indie-games. The overwhelming majority of them runs perfectly fine, just like the rest of my games.
...your solution is obvious; stick with the fine fare you get from the likes of Electronic Arts and their ilk.
I tend to, but that's beside the point.
Last edited by con20or on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Speaking for myself I saw a huge performance increase after 1.4 and it also allowed me to play the best uniform settings whereas before I had been limited to playing on medium.

Thanks everyone for the input, but please keep it civil. This is being looked at, I dont want to have to lock this post.
Barrow
Reactions:

Post by Barrow »

FYI...

I've played ~45 GCM battles over the last couple of years, but for me the V1.4 upgrade ended my
participation in the current GCM campaign. On my system the performance with V1.4 is a
giant step backwards. This applies to MP, SP, everything. Prior to V1.4 I had a game settings
that ran well on my PC, but not anymore. I've been using GameBooster. I haven't had much
time to troubleshoot this though...

-Wheel