The Last Full Measure

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:The Last Full Measure

Post by Kerflumoxed »

norb wrote:
I really enjoyed the books, not enough to read them over and over. But they gave me the history in a format that I could really get into. I got a good overview of the war and was able to discover the personalities. Best part of the last full measure was the end, when Chamberlain ordered his men to salute :)
If you have the time, I suggest you read Chamberlain's book "Passing of the Armies" and his account of the surrender beginning on page 248 when he receives orders "...to command the parade on the occasion of the formal surrender of the arms and colors of Lee's army." Continuing on page 258 (after 10 pages detailing the activies of the Federal army in the days leading up to Appomattox): "...all was ready for the last turn, - the dissolving-view of the Army of Northern Virginia." The narrative in "The Last Full Measure" pales in comparison to the words of Chamberlain...such as:

"Ah, is this Pickett's Division? - this little group left of those who on the lurid last day of Gettysburg breasted level cross-fire and thunderbolts of storm, to be strewn back drifting wrecks, where after that awful, futile, pitiful charge we buried them in graves a furlong wide, with names unknown. Met again in the terrible cyclone-sweep over the breastworks at Five Forks; new now, so thin, so pale, purged of the mortal, - as if knowing pain or joy no more. How could we help falling on our knees, all of us together, and praying God to pity and forgive us all!"

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

I need to get that book but after I finish reading Gone for soldiers for the third time.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
2nd Kentucky
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Kentucky »

Joshua l.Chamberlain wrote:
Very wishful indeed but that is how it would probably go but you got to add some small important things in there... Hill being killed, Lee's retreat across the potomac, bristoue station, Gordon's attack on those union forts at Petersburg, Hill suffering from his illnis at the Wilderness, Lee attempting to lead his men into the bullets, ect.

Here's a peace I thought was very exciting in the book...
...Lee saw one man holding a battle flag, the man bloody, staggering, and he moved toward him, said, "Here, son, let me..." The man looked at him, dropped to one knee, said nothing, and Lee saw now the face of a child, the sharp eyes, the bright light looking up at him , and the boy released the flag. Lee held it up high, began to wave it, catching the breeze. Now more men fell into line beside him, behind him, and they began to cheer, to yell out his name. He stared below, into the trees, was ready to ride, to move in one hard wave down into the face of the enemy, drive them out, drive them away. The flag was slapping hard around him, catching a sharp gust of wind, the horse staggering to keep straight,and he thought, Yes, we will not be beaten, you cannot take this away from us!
Behind him there was a new sound, men moving over the crest of the hill, a heavy battle line. It was Mahone's men, and all along the hill came the sound of rebel yell, high and terrible. suddenly, someone grabbed the flag, and Lee would not let go, looked at the man with hot anger, How dare you... saw the face of Mahone.
Mahone still gripped the flag, gave a firm pull, and Lee felt it slip out of his hands. Mahone said, "General this is my job."
Last Full Measure
That was a great paragraph. But one of my favorites was when one of Hood's Texas Sergeants puts Lee "under arrest" with all the soldiers shouting, "lee to the rear, lee to the rear".
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."-John Wayne
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

That part was good to.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House