Expanded Toolbar - Grog

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Didz
Reactions:

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

Post by Didz »

Just finished playing through the Emperor's Plan scenario again using the launch from the User Scenario menu and the mods seems to be working when its launched from there.

God kmows how you are meant to beat this scenario though. This is a view of the fighting in the kitchen garden of Hougoumont. The 1ere Legere have occupied the garden in strength and are trying to force their way into the courtyard of the farm having driven off the German defenders, but despite being surrounded and in danger of being cut-off the english will not surrender the farm house.
'There is no beating these troops in spite of their generals. I always thought them bad soldiers, now I am sure of it. I turned their right, pierced their centre, broke them everywhere; the day was mine, and yet they did not know it and would not run.' Soult 1811
Last edited by Didz on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I recently bought this game in the steam sale, and although it claims to come with this mod, whatever steam supplied does not work the way this mod currently works. So, i downloaded the version from this forum and everything seems to be working as intended, except that my French infantry are not standing in three deep line as stated in the list of features. They are still standing two ranks deep.

Is there something I need to do to make this happen?
With the Grog Toolbar French line formations are three deep, no exceptions. As they lose troops the line will shrink but the three lines deep will maintain it's integrity. I'm guessing you played a stock scenario through the Waterloo scenarios section. The stock scenarios don't work properly with mods, in fact they usually crash. I've included the stock scenarios with the Grog Toolbar mod so they can be played through the User Scenarios section with no issues. If this is your issue please try again. Thanks for the report and I would appreciate feedback on whether my guess is correct, otherwise I'll look into this matter.
I've been talking to someone on the Steam forum about mods and he has just told me pretty much the same thing.

Bit of a crock in my opinion. Why have the developers blocked mod improvements to the core game, may as well shoot yourself through the head and be done with it.

But I'll have a look tonight and see if I can find these user scenario's you mention. Normally, I wouldn't bother playing anything other than the campaign game, but if user scenario's is the only way to play with all the improvements then I'll give it a go.
Yeah, on the surface it appears to be a "Bit of a crock". However, once you understand how mods work in WL, it should be clear sailing. With the previous games not having mods affecting the stock scenarios was necessary so folks couldn't use modded files to help them achieve Major Victory scores. These scores in turn were recorded and could be eventually sent in to award players General's bars of success plus their name was listed on an elite 'Generals List'. With WL this procedural feature was axed primarily because of a pressing release deadline based on the 200th anniversary of the battle that was obviously beyond our control.
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
The Joker
Reactions:

Post by The Joker »

Hi, I have this problem with the last implementation of the toolbar.
I just bought the game from Steam, also one of the DLC.
If i run the game without the toolbar all go perfectly.
If I activate the toolbar, some times the game run ok..some others..when the first time i move a unit and then I push the kkeep formation button (the green line formation to be precise) the game crash.
This happen all the time in the same scenario that i push the button.
In others scenario I can play for hours...
It's a my mistake or some others have reported a problem like me?
Thx.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Hi, I have this problem with the last implementation of the toolbar.
I just bought the game from Steam, also one of the DLC.
If i run the game without the toolbar all go perfectly.
If I activate the toolbar, some times the game run ok..some others..when the first time i move a unit and then I push the kkeep formation button (the green line formation to be precise) the game crash.
This happen all the time in the same scenario that i push the button.
In others scenario I can play for hours...
It's a my mistake or some others have reported a problem like me?
Thx.
Attention: All SP scenarios played with this mod must be selected through the 'User Scenarios' screen, otherwise they will CTD.
Leicestershire
Didz
Reactions:

Post by Didz »

Attention: All SP scenarios played with this mod must be selected through the 'User Scenarios' screen, otherwise they will CTD.
I thought that was understood.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

C'mon guys, you can do better than that. He's obviously a new player, he just bought the game, and the game now comes with the newest grog tool bar, so there's no reason he would have come here to download it, and therefore wouldnt know about playing through the user scenario tab. It's perfectly understandable that he wouldn't have known this.

Hey Joker, the grog toolbar is designed to only work through the user scenarios tab. When you activate the grog toolbar in the modifications tab(make sure you click use selected mods as well) all of the stock Waterloo scenarios will now appear in the user scenarios tab. The DLCs automatically install in both the Waterloo battles tab as well as the user scenarios tab, so you don't need to do anything special for the DLCs.

All you have to remember is when using the grog tool bar to always play through the user sceanrios tab. Trying to play through the Waterloo battles tab can both make the game crash, as well as making many functions of the grog toolbar not work at all.

Hope this helps. Have fun
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks guys for steering Joker straight. :)

I think it's time to eliminate this issue. Providing a mod that causes crashes is never a good idea regardless of numerous 'Don't touch this button' warnings. So, how about we just eliminate the 'Waterloo Scenarios' button when the Grog Toolbar is activated. Only downside is that the player won't have access to the nice maps and selection icons eye candy.

Anyone seeing any other downsides to this change?
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Didz
Reactions:

Post by Didz »

C'mon guys, you can do better than that. He's obviously a new player, he just bought the game, and the game now comes with the newest grog tool bar, so there's no reason he would have come here to download it, and therefore wouldnt know about playing through the user scenario tab. It's perfectly understandable that he wouldn't have known this.
That's a good point, and thank you for reminding me.

In fact, does the steam version even include the User Scenario's?

I bought my version of SOWW through steam, including the Grog Toolbar, and seem to remember that not only is the version supplied by steam out of date, but it doesn;t come with the full set of User Scenario's. So, in fact I couldn't use it and had tp disable it until I found this site and managed to download an up- to day copy.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

That's a good point, and thank you for reminding me.

In fact, does the steam version even include the User Scenario's?

I bought my version of SOWW through steam, including the Grog Toolbar, and seem to remember that not only is the version supplied by steam out of date, but it doesn;t come with the full set of User Scenario's. So, in fact I couldn't use it and had tp disable it until I found this site and managed to download an up- to day copy.
Now it does, but back when you bought the game it didn't. With the release of the collectors edition/1.02 the newest grog toolbar with the waterloo scenarios already in the user scenario tab comes loaded with the game when you buy it.
The Joker
Reactions:

Post by The Joker »

Thx DarkRob,
You are right...I bought the game only two days before the post.
Fortunally I come to Your You Tube channel so I start to follow Your video and I'm learning faster.
Now I can use the Grog toolbar without crash...probably my fault that I didn't noticed that it must be used only with user scenario.
Thx again. :)
Last edited by The Joker on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.