Moddable AI formations

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
oho
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by oho »

I play mostly Single Player. I see almost only line formation when Enemy-AI controlled troops move around on the battlefield. This results after 10 Minutes of almost each scenario (sandbox or waterloo) in overlapping lines, battalion lines changing forming rings(!), and wheeling when engaged very often. This really kills immersion for me and makes the game not at all enjoyable to play.
Question: Can I change the AI behaviour by modding so that it uses column in division almost all the time, only when very close to the enemy it tries to form a line, can I prevent it from wheeling very quickly too?

I would think of something like the following examples:
- French Line Infantry, non-road movement not under threat: use formation
in column of division.
- English Guards Reaction time (start of wheeling) after discovery of new thread x seconds.
- French Light Inf wheeling time for n degrees : x seconds.
- Inf Fire value of Inf in column of division = 1/3 rd strength.
Then I would be pleased.
When do you plan to release the SDK ?
Jim
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by Jim »

We are working on it now but have a bit of a pause to help out with the new players and issues not seen in testing.

The first may be possible but will need testing. Mitra will have to comment on the middle three items. Currently the attack columns are not set to fight. That can be modded but I am not sure how the fire strength would be represented in that odd case. My understanding is that while the French moved in collone d'attaque they rarely fought out of that formation unless surprised due to the major firepower penalty.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
mitra76
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by mitra76 »

Question: Can I change the AI behaviour by modding so that it uses column in division almost all the time, only when very close to the enemy it tries to form a line, can I prevent it from wheeling very quickly too?
yes, is possible but you will need to study well before the current flow and parametrical tables in order to "hit" well where you want change in the code
- French Line Infantry, non-road movement not under threat: use formation
in column of division.
For this you can change in the unitglobal.csv the current column march formation used with the other
- English Guards Reaction time (start of wheeling) after discovery of new thread x seconds.
- French Light Inf wheeling time for n degrees : x seconds.
- Inf Fire value of Inf in column of division = 1/3 rd strength.
Yes (but the wheeling time necessary to wheel no, it is related to unit speed movement is not controlled from the AI, the AI simply order to wheel or not, you can use a switch variable in order to delay it in rapport to the gametime at example or a loop yes a loop no) but AI specialized for formation type will request you to create many new routines and unit types. If you like coding I think you will have a lot of fun with this, like I had.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Davinci
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by Davinci »

Yes (but the wheeling time necessary to wheel no, it is related to unit speed movement is not controlled from the AI, the AI simply order to wheel or not.
So this was changed, the drills.csv file no longer controls whether a unit can \ cannot wheel?

Thanks,

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by RebBugler »

Davide was referring to the speed of wheeling which can't be controlled by the AI mod system. However, it could be by changing the run speed, a no no I would think. Regarding Drills nothing has changed that I can think of, except the formations of course. So yes, one can go in and zero the column 'can wheel' on all the line formations, if they dare. Sure would put the AI at a disadvantage though because the player could still use the new 'pivot from the flank' commands located on the Grog Toolbar.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by Davinci »

OK, Thanks Reb !
Davide was referring to the speed of wheeling which can't be controlled by the AI mod system. However, it could be by changing the run speed, a no no I would think.
Well, if not too much as changed, that is probably true. I have always played the game at a slower-movement rate and the wheeling \ turning of the regiments has always been very slow, so it has to be related to the movement speed.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typing Error as usual!
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
mitra76
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by mitra76 »

Yes (but the wheeling time necessary to wheel no, it is related to unit speed movement is not controlled from the AI, the AI simply order to wheel or not.
So this was changed, the drills.csv file no longer controls whether a unit can \ cannot wheel?

Thanks,

davinci
Now I'm in the office I cannot check, but I don't remember a parameter to block the wheeling in drills.csv; there's a wheeling locked in unitattributes.csv which determine a minimal distance respect the nearest enemy and was checked inside the AI also in Gettysburg, in Waterloo I used it also.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Moddable AI formations

Post by RebBugler »

Column I - Can Wheel
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
tc27
Reactions:

Re: Moddable AI formations

Post by tc27 »

Its a good point that the battalion 'attack column' (column of divisions) was only used to close the distance with the enemy - despite perhaps what the adventures of Dick Sharpe may lead us to believe the French doctrine was to deploy into line when they had closed to within musket range

There is a problem at the moment with the AI using line formations far too much and frankly it cannot handle them very well leading to the mess we see at the moment.
Perhaps the AI should be set to use column of divisions up until the point when it is <200 yards from an enemy and them switch to line.
mitra76
Reactions:

Re: Moddable AI formations

Post by mitra76 »

Column I - Can Wheel
I see, this is checked in the hardcoded part implicitly in all the wheel commands also given from the users, so also if I give the order the formation will not wheel