AI Reserve Question?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Davinci
Reactions:

AI Reserve Question?

Post by Davinci »

Hey, does anybody know how the AI chooses the ratio of its reserve forces.

Does the AI choose reserve units based on individual corps, divisions, or the total men in its army.

I’m leaning in the direction that it is based on individual divisions, but I’m not sure!

This is really pertaining to the Open Play aspect of the game such as the Hunt them Down !

Now, playing with three enemy divisions I have seen the AI use parts of all three, but I’ve also seen the AI use two of the divisions while keeping the third one out of the fight.

It has to be some type of hidden-formula involved in this but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Thanks,

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
adilmalik
Reactions:

Re: AI Reserve Question?

Post by adilmalik »

Thanks for answering so quickly, I'll let him have my old license key, i'm sure he will really like the game so i'll try and persuade him to buy the 150th edition to have all the extra scenarios.

Post by con20or »

Wrong thread I think, Adil.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Actually Adils post was copy and paste from an older, existing thread - so Im guessing he might be a bot - apologies if you aren't Adil - just email support and we will reactivate you.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/40-dis ... demo#63784
Last edited by con20or on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

From what I have been able to determine, the AI will hold back ~1/3 of his troops in reserve most of the time. although it does seem to be partially based on the commanders style. The more timid he is, the more he will keep in reserve. Like most things concerning this game, it is not a hard and fast rule, but based on a probability.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

From what I have been able to determine, the AI will hold back ~1/3 of his troops in reserve most of the time. although it does seem to be partially based on the commanders style. The more timid he is, the more he will keep in reserve.
Thanks, MTG !

Have you been able to determine if it's the last units listed in the OOB , such as...the last brigades in a division?

It seems that I'm always in contact with the first, second and third brigades of a particular division, but I'm not exactly sure....I never actually documented the results.

Basically, does the AI use the 1/3 rule on a division, or a corps, or if both corps are engaged, will the AI choose to keep a third of its forces out of the fight? (i.e…such as another whole division)

I got a very good work-around by placing more regiments under a single-enemy-brigade-leader, so I’m trying to add to that by understanding how the reserve-system-works.

davinci
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Yes, the last brigade in a division or the last division in a corps is kept in reserve. That's the trick I use to get good AI behavior in using cavalry in mixed divisions. I place it last so that by the time the AI gets around to calling it up, the enemy troops are so tired and shot up, they stand almost no chance of surviving the cavalry attack.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Yes, the last brigade in a division or the last division in a corps is kept in reserve.
Thanks, I'm going to experiment with my OOB to use more enemy divisions to see if the AI will push forward more enemy troops.

davinci