Open Play - Artillery Question?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Davinci
Reactions:

Open Play - Artillery Question?

Post by Davinci »

I'm not sure if this is something that I have done or if the game changed due to one of the patches.

The enemy artillery seems to move ahead of their Infantry units during battle and advance in-front of them to fire at my units.

I do remember earlier in the game when the enemy-artillery would stay deployed in the rear of their-army and fire.

Question - Is this based on the settings in the drills file, or has this changed since the earlier release of the game?

Thanks,

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
the reb
Reactions:

Re: Open Play - Artillery Question?

Post by the reb »

After playing 100's of Sandbox Battles, that happened with me, reminded me of the TS Games....The artillery more or less charged at me.....The OOB I used was the one used in Three Days in Seven Hours. I noramlly brag about how good the Ai is, not this time. Also in the same Sandbox Battle, numerous Union Corps just stayed out of the battle, did not advance? Thios allowed me to beat the crap out of the Yanks, but was not realistic.

the reb,
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

...The artillery more or less charged at me.....
LOL – That was sort of funny!
Also in the same Sandbox Battle, numerous Union Corps just stayed out of the battle, did not advance?
I noticed this to but I think that it has something to do with how the OOB is designed.

If the enemy units are controlled by the same ‘Corps Commander’ they will all stop at the same time when contact is made. I think that this has something to do with the previous game where the AI would continue to march blindly into a fight.

But, if the OOB has them in different Divisions with no Corps Commander – the other divisions will continue marching after contact is made.

It took ‘me’ years to finally see that that was happening, and to redesign the OOB….But that is just ‘My’ opinion on this.

davinci
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I agree that it's probably how the OOB is designed. I just started a new Sandbox Battle and once again, the artillery charged foward, retreated, but no infantry. This may be what the The RebBugler was trying to explain to me.

the reb....
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Also in the same Sandbox Battle, numerous Union Corps just stayed out of the battle, did not advance? This allowed me to beat the crap out of the Yanks, but was not realistic.
This is why the enemy units need to be in different Divisions but not under a Corps Commander the other Divisions will continue to advance once contact is made.

Also, a slow-maneuver-echelon attack around the direction of the enemy always seem to activate the hidden units of that division.

The reason of an echelon-attack is that the AI seems to work on some type of counting-system so if you advance your whole army they won’t attack.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

One question, how in the heck can you select two or more divisions in sandbox without having a Corps commander? I know of no OOB structure that allows or supports this, or do I know how to design one.
:unsure: I've made stupid statements before and maybe this is one again, so set me straight. :unsure:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

One question, how in the heck can you select two or more divisions in sandbox without having a Corps commander? I know of no OOB structure that allows or supports this, or do I know how to design one.
My Bad, Thanks for correcting 'me' on this, I meant one thing and said another thing.

I redesinged my OOB to get rid of the multiple-divisions under a Corps Commander and placed just one large division under four separate Corps Commanders to spread the AI out more.

This seems to stop the AI from halting the other units once contact is made.

Now the AI seems to take different roads trying to locate 'my' army so that I'm constantly encountering the different Corps all over the map.

This is better but it didn't solve the problem of the AI working together other than having two-corps using the same road.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.