Bugles & Flags XIX

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Martin James
Reactions:

Re: Bugles and Flags v10

Post by Martin James »

Always impressive B) We played a great game with your flags mod last weekend and I'm working on a scenario using your flags as well for the near future. They add so much versatility and flavor for scenarios it really makes them feel realistic.
I'd like to strongly endorse that. I too have been working on a scenario for the HITS & Couriers group. It's set in the Trans Mississippi, and also makes much use of your wonderful flags. IMHO they improve the atmosphere & immersion no end.

Many thanks Reb

Martin
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Post by 4thMissInf.Co.F »

Dear RebBugler, or whomever can help. Forgive the stupid question, I just purchased this game yesterday and LOVE the bloodbath and flag mods! My question is how do I use this mod with the original scenario's? My favorite brigade in Gettysburg is Brockenbrough's so I like to play that original scenario. I did read (and searched both this site and via google) that I rename the original or something like that, but I simply am too computer illiterate or cannot find them.

Reb, I hope I don't make you mad, I will try to learn, but I sure could use some help.

Thank you for your time!
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Ha, you didn't make me mad, you made me laugh...and I needed a good laugh, as I have been battling some points with the team all evening...and I lost. :angry:

If you try to find the answer first, you're cool in my book. It's the ones that just look for handouts and make no effort to problem solve that get my goat. I'm a former teacher, and promoting problem solving is ingrained in me...so it's no doubt that I come off ornery at times.

There is a list of renamed stock scenarios available somewhere in mod form. I'll take a look. Check back later and maybe I'll have a link. Thanks for playing, and apologizing for bugging me...I'm still laughing. :lol:

Edit: Try this link, I haven't checked them, so you'll have to ask questions on that thread:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... de-of-post
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to thread
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Ha, you didn't make me mad, you made me laugh...and I needed a good laugh, as I have been battling some points with the team all evening...and I lost. :angry:

If you try to find the answer first, you're cool in my book. It's the ones that just look for handouts and make no effort to problem solve that get my goat. I'm a former teacher, and promoting problem solving is ingrained in me...so it's no doubt that I come off ornery at times.

There is a list of renamed stock scenarios available somewhere in mod form. I'll take a look. Check back later and maybe I'll have a link. Thanks for playing, and apologizing for bugging me...I'm still laughing. :lol:

Edit: Try this link, I haven't checked them, so you'll have to ask questions on that thread:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... de-of-post
Thank you very kindly, sir. I do try to find the stuff first, but I really have to tell you this game is so advanced. Up to yesterday I was still playing Sid Meier's Antietam. This game here boggles my mind and I'm just lost.

I went to the link and it requests a password and username so I will contact the original poster and see if I can get this straight.

I really want to thank you for your time again, but more than that, for the great mods. As I said, I just came from SMGB and SMA and I was shocked when I added your mods. The 28th NC flag is incredible. I truly love it.

Thank you my friend.
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey 4thMiss, DL the SDK, thread link below. I think it has all the stock scenarios included. You can rename them and copy them to the B&F Scenarios folder, then find them in User Scenarios to play with mods.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... dk-14-beta
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Hey 4thMiss, DL the SDK, thread link below. I think it has all the stock scenarios included. You can rename them and copy them to the B&F Scenarios folder, then find them in User Scenarios to play with mods.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... dk-14-beta
That's the answer solver RebBugler. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time for me/us. I need to learn this stuff so maybe I can contribute to the community, too.

Thanks again my friend!
My Ancestors:

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

4thMissInf.Co.F
One other thing, once you rename the scenarios you want to play with mods, also check out which ones are carryovers. Some scenarios will be impossible to play, because the 'carryover from' scenario's name has been changed.

So, your first modding assignment is:

If a scenario is blocked because of the renaming process, open it's Scenario.ini file. You will see the carryover info data along with the 'carryover from' scenario's name. Rename that name to match your new name you assigned said scenario. Then simply Save and Close...fixed. Of course, you must have also achieved the minimum score requirements to carry over.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a goof
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

4thMissInf.Co.F
One other thing, once you rename the scenarios you want to play with mods, also check out which ones are carryovers. Some scenarios will be impossible to play, because the 'carryover from' scenario's name has been changed.

So, your first modding assignment is:

If a scenario is blocked because of the renaming process, open it's Scenario.ini file. You will see the carryover info data along with the 'carryover from' scenario's name. Rename that name to match your new name you assigned said scenario. Then simply Save and Close...fixed. Of course, you must have also achieved the minimum score requirements to carry over.
Thank you RebBugler! I believe I definitely understand exactly what you are teaching here. Thanks a lot. Wow, so much difference from playing SMG and SMA for 12 years. I didn't even know these games existed. I found this site only by doing more searches on Antietam Orders of Battle and found a thread with MarkT (Tewes) in it. Again, I'm still in the past and have a lot of computer stuff to learn, but I hope more people learn of this game...it's incredible.

Reb, does Davinci's "Confederate Uniform Mod" from TCSM that Little Powell put up work with your flag & blood mods? Yes, I did a search, first, and even replied in a thread concerning another possible mod in the future. I don't want to do anything that would "break" your mods as I could not play without them.

Thanks for your time!
My Ancestors:

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks for the Thanks,

Regarding Davinci's "Confederate Uniform Mod", I'm pretty sure it won't work at all. I may be wrong, but seems like this was a work in progress and had bugs. Then, once we packed the sprites, patch 1.4, it was dead in the water. It was a good idea, giving the Rebs more variety of uniforms, but it also was a drain on CPU resources...too many different sprites, and bam, crash city, for too big of battles, Corps and up.

Anyway, maybe Divinci will revisit his mod one day, he's had lots of requests.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Regarding Davinci's "Confederate Uniform Mod", I'm pretty sure it won't work at all. I may be wrong, but seems like this was a work in progress and had bugs. Then, once we packed the sprites, patch 1.4, it was dead in the water.
I think that if I'm remembering this correctly….. Certain patch updates kept on interfering with the mod , but I was able to sort them out.

Finally, I think that I just kept the mod separate from the updates, and didn’t compress them into the new way of doing the files.

Also, I’m not convinced that the new way of doing them has any effect on the fps , at least it doesn’t help me , but every system is different.

But, for the record, I can't remember since way back when that I haven't played the game without the uniforms from the previous game.
The attachment A1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment A2.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
A2.jpg
A2.jpg (225.67 KiB) Viewed 205 times
A1.jpg
A1.jpg (250.95 KiB) Viewed 205 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!