Issues of purchasing games, and Steam.

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Issues of purchasing games, and Steam.

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hey how is it going?

Yes I am going to talk about games, and why I am feeling the early cramps, and frothing at the mouth because of having to deal with something I loathe more than having a diarrhea attack after munching hard on some 2 week old hotdogs I forgot about.

Since I started making my game purchase list, I have found my old enemy popping up everywhere which is of course Steam (Valve).

What in the name has happened with the gaming industry? Steam is like that old ogre standing at the end of that bridge you wish to cross, and there isn't much that can be done about it.

Like it, join in, and take part, or do you turn around, and moon that company for all it's worth?

I damn Valve for crating Steam to introduce Half-life 2...

So your thoughts on Steam?

:(
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Re: Issues of purchasing games, and Steam.

Post by Gudadantza »

I use it but I must say is problematic. I am not very confortable with their concept.
It is great because you can get great discounts from time to time for modern titles not yet on shops.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Your right about the concept.

Just think, it was Steam that created all of what we have today in the way of online activation for games.

Imagine, this was all due to a Valve employee who released the beta source because he had a falling out with Valve... bloody putz!
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

I use Steam and have had no problems with it. When I bought a new computer, all I had to do was re-download the games I'd already purchased.

I don't play much on Steam anymore, since SOW took over all my gaming time, but I once played Day of Defeat a lot.

Every once in a while I'll fire up Red Orchestra 2.
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Yesterday. Days without using Steam due to SoW addiction An humongous new update for Shogun 2 TW is out for me.

The update is installed and then, because Steam is in the mood my installation goes wrong and I can not unninstall nor update the client. an Error about a cache archive. The correct way to solve it was reistalling Steam. But there were issues. Apart you should reinstall perhaps hundreds of Gb

2 hours later I could Solve my problem in a house made way.
Problem.

Sometimes Steam does not want to connect and of course to enable the offline beta mode you must be logged. Problem.

Resuming. I do not like Steam. They should be more flexible with the way it works. If they have a competition against pirates, please, let me live, that is not my problem.

But when Steam works and no solar storm is out there the app works fine. Intrusive, but at least does not disturb :cheer:

Greetings.
Last edited by Gudadantza on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

What kind of hot dogs are you eating? Mine are good for at least 6 months after you open them.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Which is less perishable than my Steam install :dry:
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

i wont have steam on any of my machines.mainly because if you have a poor internet connection as i have,its all but unuseable.
in the uk for those who dont know,if you live in an area that doesnt have cable your internet comes to you down the phoneline.if like me your local exchange can only put out 1 (yes one!) meg then thats all you get.

it matters not what equipment you have in your computer or what your ip says it can give you,in my case one measly meg is it and thats on a good day!

this in effect means that i cant play any steam games.more to the point soldiers i know currently seving in hm forces in places such as afghanistan who used to play tw games for example during their downtime now cant because of poor connectivity.

its a shame games companys cant provide a steam free version of their products for those of us who cant use steam through no fault of our own.

im just glad that norb never went with steam because i wouldnt have bought the game,niether would many others i know.besides having to have steam smacks of being forced into something i would not have chosen to have,and that go's right agin the grain if you see what i mean!

i used steam for hl2 when it came out,i lived somewhere different then with good speeds and it was a pain in the arse.now i dont use steam and i wont pirate as i think game developers deserve what money they get.

anyway,sorry to rant on but as you probably guessed im not a fan! cheers
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

What kind of hot dogs are you eating? Mine are good for at least 6 months after you open them.

B
Well the color green doesn't seem to stop me any.... Green is normally bad right?

Green to me means GO, GO, GO!!!

:)
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

i wont have steam on any of my machines.mainly because if you have a poor internet connection as i have,its all but unuseable.
in the uk for those who dont know,if you live in an area that doesnt have cable your internet comes to you down the phoneline.if like me your local exchange can only put out 1 (yes one!) meg then thats all you get.

it matters not what equipment you have in your computer or what your ip says it can give you,in my case one measly meg is it and thats on a good day!

this in effect means that i cant play any steam games.more to the point soldiers i know currently seving in hm forces in places such as afghanistan who used to play tw games for example during their downtime now cant because of poor connectivity.

its a shame games companys cant provide a steam free version of their products for those of us who cant use steam through no fault of our own.

im just glad that norb never went with steam because i wouldnt have bought the game,niether would many others i know.besides having to have steam smacks of being forced into something i would not have chosen to have,and that go's right agin the grain if you see what i mean!

i used steam for hl2 when it came out,i lived somewhere different then with good speeds and it was a pain in the arse.now i dont use steam and i wont pirate as i think game developers deserve what money they get.

anyway,sorry to rant on but as you probably guessed im not a fan! cheers
A good rant here, and there helps out... So go ahead, and rant!

I'm not a fan of Steam either, every time in the past I had to use Steam I normally was forced in a compromising position, and told to cough.

I think that most companies which use Steam is a way for them too pass the buck to the middle man so they don't have to deal with the complaints people may have about their product. They normally tell you to send in a support ticket to steam if you are having problems which any gamer out there knows that Steam either ignores you, or teams up on you, and take a strip off of you in public, or they just bend over, and show their hairy old arses in a not a so polite way of saying to go screw yourself...

I personally really don't like these guys, and any game that uses Steam I will never buy personally.

Now I do have games that have been bought for me for my birthdays, or at Christmas time which I won't say no too, and I don't want the people who do buy games for me not to feel bad that I loathe steam so much...

:)