Battlefield Re-cycling

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Re: Battlefield Re-cycling

Post by BOSTON »

Shirkon wrote:
I can't see any of this being applied to a game in progress. It's more apt to be applied between battles or during a campaigne. The most that could happen during a game is for some of the units that have come close to routing to rally and return to the battle lines and that is already in the game. Routed units unfortunately all either head to Washington (Union) or Richmond (CS).
Do routed units come back in carryover scenarios?
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Yes they do.
Taiaha
Reactions:

Post by Taiaha »

Shirkon wrote:
I can't see any of this being applied to a game in progress. It's more apt to be applied between battles or during a campaigne. The most that could happen during a game is for some of the units that have come close to routing to rally and return to the battle lines and that is already in the game. Routed units unfortunately all either head to Washington (Union) or Richmond (CS).
I agree. I like the mopping up idea, but I'm not sure how significant would be the effects on unit effectiveness. I could at a pinch see the difficulty of incorporating relatively unskilled troops into a more veteran unit having some effect. But I don't think the reverse situation (vet troops joining a trained unit) would have much effect. There's really not much time to do a lot of teaching of noobs when you are in the middle of a firefight!

Then after the battle, presumably men would rejoin old unit, yes?
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

At the end of a carryover game, a certain number of casualties are added back to the unit. Strays, minor injuries, etc.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

norb, I have some questions about carryover scenarios.

1) Which scenarios are carryovers (i.e., have their OOB impacted by prior scenarios -- and what scenarios are they impacted by)?

2) If you play the carryover preliminary scenario multiple times, which outcome is used to impact the subsequent scenario?

3) If the latest outcome is used to impact the subsequent scenario, couldn't one game the thing by seeing (a) which units were in the subsequent scenario and (b) moving them completely out of the battle area in order to preserve them, even if it means giving up a major defeat in the process? I mean, if you have already beat the scenario with a major victory, I would think such behavior would be rewarded in the subsequent scenario.

4) Does the carryover effect impact both sides? I.e., could I game a subsequent scenario's oob by (a) retreating all my units I need for the later scenario and (b) focussing everyone else on tearing up the enemy units that will appear in the subsequent scenario?

Just wondering. Not trying to be gamey, but wondering how all this works.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

1) Hopefully Mark or one of the other guys will be able to answer this.
2) Everytime you win a scenario, it becomes the new base for carryover
3) Location is not carried over
4) Yes

Hope that I got it all right, but I'm pretty sure those are the correct answers.
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

MrSpkr wrote:
1) Which scenarios are carryovers (i.e., have their OOB impacted by prior scenarios -- and what scenarios are they impacted by)?
Manual -> page 14.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

ADukes wrote:
MrSpkr wrote:
Manual -> page 14.
So I guess I should RTFM?

My bad!

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

norb wrote:
1) Hopefully Mark or one of the other guys will be able to answer this.
2) Everytime you win a scenario, it becomes the new base for carryover
3) Location is not carried over
4) Yes

Hope that I got it all right, but I'm pretty sure those are the correct answers.
All but number 3. What I am asking is, couldn't someone game the system buy determining what key units will be in a subsequent carryover scenario, and moving them to a far corner of the board out of harm's way in order to minimize casualties? Conversely, couldn't one go after key enemy units, attempting to destroy specific brigades in order to make subsequent cross over scenarios easier?

Steve

ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

You could if you wish.