Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

Playing with 1 Gb RAM

11 years 9 months ago #1 by radno

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Playing with 1 Gb RAM was created by radno
    I downloaded the demo because the screenshots looked irresistible and I loved TC2M. But my system is pretty antiquated and only has 1 Gig of RAM, so I had little hope of being able to play it - imagine my surprise when I fired up the demo and the game played perfectly on default settings - no lag, no stutter, nothing. The only time it slows down a little is when I zoom out and fly round the battlefield at a great height. I've played through the tutorial about 5 times now with no problems. One question I do have though - the tutorial has about four or five brigades on the field - a division apiece in other words. If I bought the whole game and played corps sized battles, would it still work? As I said, all the eye candy is up at default settings, so it could be turned right down...
    As well as that, I like the game so much I'd be happy to stump up for another Gig of RAM. Any advice, or other similar experiences would be welcome. Don't want to shell out for the game, excellent though it is, and find I can never play more than a division.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 9 months ago #2 by Nikolaj

• Thank you received:

• Replied by Nikolaj on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    I have 3 gigs of ram and I was able to play the demo just fine. However, after buying the game it started to stutter a lot in the first battle, which isn't much larger than the one in the demo. Playing around with the settings helped a bit, but I've yet to try out the larger battle scenarios. In any case, I don't think you'll get very far with only 1 gig, even if the demo played fine.

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #3 by bedbug

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 3

• Birthdate: 22 May 1946
  • Replied by bedbug on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    A certain amount has to do with your video card......and weather its on the motherboard or not..... but there are a ton (two pages) of Option settings and in-game hot keys to help.

My advice is start with the medium sprites (low-res but all uniforms) and use the "T" key to cycle through some terrain sprite settings. My machine is over 3 1/2 years old and I can play most everything but the Corp fights with some terrain sprites turned on.
    Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by bedbug.

11 years 9 months ago #4 by Rich Mac

• SOW Lt General
  • SOW Lt General

• Thank you received:

• Replied by Rich Mac on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    I also play with 1 gig of ram. I had the exact same concerns as you did. I can tell you that the full game plays just fine.

I have the graphic settings turned down, especially trees off the map and drawing distances. I also have on map trees reduced to 75%. Furthermore, I have low detail on the uniforms. Today I plan on upping the uniform detail to see what that does, but I'm afraid that will really slow me down. I like eye candy, but I don't need all of it to enjoy this game.

Also, I have been messing around with some big scenarios just to get a an idea of performance and it runs smooth as silk.

11 years 9 months ago #5 by Kerflumoxed

• Retired FB Coach, History & Pol. Sci. Professor

• Thank you received: 32

• Hey Bedug...as I mentioned several months back, "I am a computer illiterate!" As I watch the various contributors discuss computer options, I become paranoid! :huh:

I have downloaded the tutorial on my old desktop and it works remarkedly well, with an occasional "stutter step." Have a new computer being built as we speak and am hopeful it will meet the needs of GB.

Processor([== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU)
    Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD])
    Memory(8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module
    Video Card(ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - Single Card)
    Motherboard(ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO -- AMD 785G Hybrid CrossFire Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 2 PCI-E MB)

It is my understanding that the motherboard has a built-in video card but will be replaced with ATI Radeon HD 5850. Will this be sufficient?

Thanks

J

Jack Hanger
    Fremont, NE
    [/size]
    "Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade

11 years 9 months ago #6 by ADukes

• SOW General
  • SOW General

• Thank you received: 92

• Replied by ADukes on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    It will be. Make sure that you get a 64bit OS as well.

11 years 9 months ago #7 by DrMike1997

• Thank you received:

• Replied by DrMike1997 on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    This game and the next one from Norbsoft will fly with that rig!

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #8 by Slick Wilhelm

• Thank you received: 2

• Birthdate: 24 Oct 1965
  • Kerflumoxed wrote:

It is my understanding that the motherboard has a built-in video card but will be replaced with ATI Radeon HD 5850. Will this be sufficient?

Oh boy, will it! Everyone here is probably drooling. :P
    Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Slick Wilhelm.

11 years 9 months ago #9 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 251

• I am also playing with one gig of RAM. Gameplay is fine but the graphics are screwed. There is no ground. I have blue ground, no streams, no roads and see-thru hills with floating rocks. Very odd. My graphics card is a ATI Radeon 9250 with 128 Mbs. TC2M rails on this rig so I'm wondering if something else is going on. Drivers are all updated also. Have played around with the "Options" pages but no change. Any ideas out there?

Sic Semper Fidelis

Jack O'Neill/bfrusa :)

American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"

11 years 9 months ago #10 by ADukes

• SOW General
  • SOW General

Disable "Full Screen" and try again.

11 years 9 months ago #11 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Roger that. Will do and advise.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"

11 years 9 months ago #12 by Kerflumoxed

• ADukes wrote:

It will be. Make sure that you get a 64bit OS as well.

Yep...thank you! Do have that covered with Windows 7, 64 Bit.

Thanks, all.

J

Jack Hanger
    Fremont, NE
    [/size]
    "Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade

11 years 9 months ago #13 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Negative ADukes,

No change. Have also ramped up all the graphics to best. Got more trees, some rocks and now have fences but thats it. Have some kind of purple-ish area now where the streams are sort-of supposed to be but thats it. Also, my graphics card is a 3D card.
    Interogative - perhaps this post should have been in the Tech Support area? Sorry, not thinking.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"

11 years 9 months ago #14 by Hancock the Superb

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Winnie Boy

• Thank you received: 70

• Birthdate: 22 Feb 1995
  • bfrusa - you and I are in the same situation, I think.

I also tried the non-fullscreen and didn't find anything different.

What is fullscreen, and what isn't?

bfrusa: I'm able to keep all the terrain stuff on high (uniforms on minimum) and the game runs just fine (with the exception that I can't see the ground). So, with all the fences and objects, I can sortof play the game (I must say, I did rather well on the 1st Scenario - Buford). I PM'd norb, and he said that the problem likely is that you need 256mb of RAM on your videocard, and that is probably the reason why the ground doesn't show up.

Hancock the Superb

11 years 9 months ago #15 by Kerflumoxed

• I am right with you with my current machine. At first, I thought that GB had been moved to the slopes of the Rockies with "snow-covered" ground and "purple" streams!

J

Jack Hanger
    Fremont, NE
    [/size]

11 years 9 months ago #16 by Tacloban

• Thank you received: 25

• Replied by Tacloban on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    I am playing with Pentium M 1GHz and 1 Gb RAM, 128 mb Radien video card. I can play small/medium battles with medium uniforms and no trees off map. Some occasional stuttering, but I can live with it. I couldn't play hi res or large battles in TC2M either.

11 years 9 months ago #17 by 7th Wisconsin

• Thank you received: 2

• Pentium 4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM 128MB FX5200 Video card.
    Demo had so much lag, it was unplayable. Every option was turned down to minimum.
    Good to see some low end machines playing fine! Back to TC2M for me!

Who is John Galt?

11 years 9 months ago #18 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Gentlemen,

Yes, Norb's comment makes sense. Ebay has a bunch of 9250/256 MB cards. Wanted to upgrade my other computer's vid-card anyway so this is the perfect time. Will keep this computer for TC2M and transfer SOWGB to the other one. Ordered one up for less then I paid for the 9250/128 MB card last month. Again, gameplay was fine. Scored a 2958 on the demo tutorial. So, in a couple of days I'll be ready to go, again.
    See you all out there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Jack O'Neill/bfrusa B)

"Molon Labe"

11 years 9 months ago #19 by norb-1

• Banned
  • Banned
  • There is a time for everything

• Thank you received: 561

• Birthdate: 30 Nov 1968
  • Replied by norb-1 on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    This is one of the reasons that we would not release the game before the demo and packaged them both together. We wanted to make sure that people had a chance to play and see how it performed before they spent their money.

NSD Programmer/Producer
    "Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.

11 years 9 months ago #20 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• And a wise call it was too. Let's me know what to do and slam in a fresh vid-card which I wanted to do anyway. 3-4 days and we'll know if that did it or not. Then, somewhere, I've got to find $45.00 for the real game. LOL!

Sic Semper Fidelis

Jack O'Neill/bfrusa B)

"Molon Labe"

11 years 9 months ago #21 by modifish

• Thank you received: 3

• Replied by modifish on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    I was a little worried that this game would finally push my rig over the edge, but I haven't had any significant issues yet. Some stuttering when new units appear and when a melee occurs but not much worse than the earlier titles. I run an AMD Athlon 2200xp cpu at 1.8 ghz with just one gig of corsair ram (1x512,2x256) on an Epox 8rda+ mobo(I built this in 2003). Video card is an 8x agp ATI x1300 with 512 megs of ddr2 ram. nothing in my box is newer than three years old(last upgraded the video card 4 years ago to play Oblivion) but the game runs well enough at default settings and I can even use the best unit quality setting without much more degredation of game play. The video card ram helps a great deal.

Thanks Norb and team, for the great game. I have spent many hours on the actual Gettysburg battlefield and I am truly impressed with the accuracy in the game. The town is amazing ( I can almost see John Burns sitting on his porch !). I've studied this battle for 30 years, and I can see myself using this game as a learning tool.A small thing and not complaining, but I don't see the quarry at the northern termination of McPherson's Woods where it meets Willoughby Run, represented in the game. The quarry had an impact on Confederate troop movements during the first day's fight as an obstacle to keeping formation while attacking Mcpherson's ridge. Small detail I guess, but I visit that area when I hike the field and I was looking for it in the game.

Thanks again!

11 years 9 months ago #22 by Jim

• NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team

• Thank you received: 262

• Replied by Jim on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    Do you have any additional info about this stone quarry? How big, how deep etc? If we are going to put it in, I want to have it correct.

It is not indicated on either the 1867 Warren map nor in Gottfried's Maps of Gettysburg. It does show up on some of the maps in the Laino atlas, but that came out very late in the dev process.

-Jim

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863

11 years 9 months ago #23 by Zeke

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 303

• Replied by Zeke on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    7th Wisconsin wrote:

Pentium 4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM 128MB FX5200 Video card.
    Demo had so much lag, it was unplayable. Every option was turned down to minimum.
    Good to see some low end machines playing fine! Back to TC2M for me!

Its your video card Im afraid 7th Wisconsin - 128mb card will probably struggle with SOW - time for a upgrade if you can fella! I upgraded my old rig (similar to yours a few months back for putting in the study it cost approx £200.00(approx $256.00 if you are over the pond!)

I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant

11 years 9 months ago #24 by Amish John

• Thank you received: 30

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1947
  • Replied by Amish John on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    Jim wrote:

Do you have any additional info about this stone quarry? How big, how deep etc? If we are going to put it in, I want to have it correct.

It is not indicated on either the 1867 Warren map nor in Gottfried's Maps of Gettysburg. It does show up on some of the maps in the Laino atlas, but that came out very late in the dev process.

-Jim

This may be a starting point:
    www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=1277

You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

11 years 9 months ago #25 by Jim

• NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team

• Thank you received: 262

• Replied by Jim on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    Thanks AJ, that is enough to adjust the map.

-Jim

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863

11 years 8 months ago #26 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• All right Lads, here we go,

FINALLY received my new 256mg vid card. 14 f-ing days from Canada. CANADA! Could of marched there and back. Anyway, installed it. Fresh drivers all around, blah blah, the whole bit. Everything works fine except - wait for it - still have floating rocks, no ground and such as with my first post.Gameplay is actually a bit better. Bloody Marvelous...
    So this is my rig right now -

Dell 2350 Comp
    Petium 4 single core processor CPU 2.40 ghz
    2.39 ghz
    XP Pro
    1.0 gigs RAM (Maxxed out)
    ATI Radeon 9250 256mg Vid card
    13 Gigs of free space
    All the usual bells and whistles

Back to where I started.

Thoughts, Gentlemen?

Jack O'Neill/bfrusa

"Molon Labe"

11 years 8 months ago #27 by Davinci

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• Thank you received: 760

• Replied by Davinci on topic Re:Playing with 1 Gb RAM
    bfrusa - Do you know if the Computer has an On Board Video ?

Try this links, below :

It might be a lot easier to dis-able the on board video from the Device Manager - but sometimes they require a jumper setting .

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/13477214/13769170.aspx#13769170

www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/video-card-support/281456-need-help-disabling-board-video-card-dell-2350-a.html

forums.techarena.in/monitor-video-cards/1227246.htm

davinci

The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #28 by Roberdeau Ch. Wheat

• Thank you received: 1

• Replied by Roberdeau Ch. Wheat on topic Quarries
    Here are some detailed photos of the Mcpherson/Willoughby Run area with a map which shows the positions of the quarries. Unfortunately it provides no information about their size and depth.

www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=1277
    Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Roberdeau Ch. Wheat.

11 years 8 months ago #29 by Roberdeau Ch. Wheat

• Thank you received: 1

• Replied by Roberdeau Ch. Wheat on topic Re:Quarries
    hmph, obviously i should read the whole thread before posting links which already have been posted, sorry

11 years 8 months ago #30 by ADukes

• SOW General
  • SOW General

bfrusa wrote:

Thoughts, Gentlemen?

How much RAM is in use before you start SOWGB?

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy