Articles
Articles View Hits

'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

3 weeks 5 days ago #211 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Thank you received: 763

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Ames' Union defence scenario is a nice counter balance to the previous Reb attack scenario.
    It sort of evens itself out, regarding the final outcome.
    I think I'll settle for this. :)

Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #212 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2053

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Ames' Union defence scenario is a nice counter balance to the previous Reb attack scenario.
    It sort of evens itself out, regarding the final outcome.
    I think I'll settle for this. :)

Well, you don't have to win them all, and this one along with Early's Attack need obsessively repeated plays to find that elusive Major Victory. That's my job! I build them, then find a way to win them, not necessarily setting the bar, but I try. My main goal is to make them competitive, and your last two posts reflect mission accomplished, much appreciated.

Thanks for the Report

RB

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by RebBugler.

3 weeks 3 days ago #213 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• That's exactly my thinking Reb, well put.
    Striking the right balance is not easy I would have thought - a lot of hard design work and testing on your part.
    You always seem get it right though.

David(jolly)

3 weeks 2 days ago #214 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• That's Entertain  ment! :)
    I managed a decent co ordinated attack with the AI on this scenario. To get all three positions is not easy, even with the AI to your left progressing, it still takes a lot of management.
    Attachments:

3 weeks 2 days ago #215 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Bad formatting again - hopefully it makes some sense.

David(jolly)

3 weeks 2 days ago #216 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Bad formatting again - hopefully it makes some sense.

David(jolly)

It's OK, just shows that the cursor was after "Entertain" and before "ment" when you inserted the attachment.

3 weeks 1 day ago #217 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• That's Entertainment! :) 
    I managed a decent co ordinated attack with the AI on this scenario. To get all three positions is not easy, even with the AI to your left progressing, it still takes a lot of management.

Nice Major Victory, with a death defying positive casualty ratio considering all the artillery you went up against. You definitely beat my best effort of 5015 after three previous sub-MVbar attempts. Glad you're entertained by the necessity of a lot of management, cause there's lots more to come.

Thanks for the Report, ya finally got to show off your skills at Generaling after some lulls...

RB

3 weeks 1 day ago #218 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• It's strange, but it seems that a lot of times I actually do better on the first attempt on some scenarios. It's kind of like reacting to what is going on as you continually assess the situation in hand. Of course it can all go pear shaped as the scenario progresses, but that's the beauty of it!
    There are some that do need multiple tries of course - the real beasty ones that can sock you in the jaw and leave you out for the count! ;)

David(jolly)

3 weeks 8 hours ago #219 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB1-07btn_July1-Defending The Heights (U-Corps)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: Major General Oliver O. Howard, commanding the XI Corps
    Date: July 1, 1863

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if Ewell's CSA corps attacked the Union position at the heights south of Gettysburg, the late evening of day one of the battle.

Situation: After battling the Rebels for most of the day, we've been forced to abandon our original defensive positions and have consolidated our battered corps to the heights south of Gettysburg. We thought this day's fighting was over, as the sun sets behind the western hills and the sounds of battle have lulled. But now, we're alerted to a new threat, as the enemy is forming assault lines to our front extending east and west till they disappear into the evening haze. By all appearances, the Rebels are setting their sights on our position, the heights along two hills, Culp's and Cemetery.

Mission: Hold and defend the Culp's Hill, The Saddle, and Cemetery Hill objectives.

Objectives: The three objectives award 78 points per minute (13 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 4680 points.

Visibility: As nightfall approaches, visibility will decrease at approximately 4 to 3 minute intervals, down to 30 yards the last three minutes.

Forces Involved:
    USA - 12,204 Troops, 41 guns
    CSA - 15,641 Troops, 48 Guns
    _________________________________________________________________________________

This 'What If' scenario represents a situation in which once General Johnson's Division arrived at Gettysburg by 6:30 PM, General Ewell decided that an attack on the heights south of Gettysburg by 7:30 PM was practicable.

Earlier, Ewell had already opted out of any further pursuits after the Union defenses west and north of Gettysburg were broken. This option was presented by General Lee to Ewell between 4:30 and 5:30 as the Union forces were in full retreat to the heights south of Gettysburg -- It read, "If practicable, take the heights south of Gettysburg". At this time, Johnson's division was still an hour out from Gettysburg, making this scenario's timeline quite feasible.

For this attack, along with Johnson's division, Ewell assembles three brigades from General Rodes division, two brigades from General Early's division, and two brigades from General Pender's division of General Hill's corps. These brigades were the least depleted, largest and most available of the two Confederate corps after the day's actions.

This scenario proved to be an even tougher mission than the previous scenario. It's not only about where and who to deploy to the defense of Culp's Hill, but also how to prepare your overall defense. Don't hesitate to use every unit available, you'll need them all to keep your objectives secure.

After a week of trying to stop the Rebel offensive I scripted, suffering some bad defeats, I finally got at least a victory. At this point I was ready to declare Ewell's 'What If' decision to attack as quite plausible and practicable for a successful outcome.

But late that evening, I kept thinking of tactical mistakes I had made, and decided to give it one more shot. And glad I did, for like the previous scenario, I stumbled upon this 'just barely', Major Victory, letting Ewell theoretically off the hook historically for not opting to attack.

Still, there's more possibilities to this story. Referring to this MV result, within fifteen minutes the Rebels would have taken all three objectives, they were in the process of breaking down the doors. At the same time General Slocum's corps was moving troops to reinforce the heights. Would they have been able to dislodge the Rebels and expel them from the heights in the darkness?

Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Chamberlain, Jolly

2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #220 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB1-08btn_July1-Take The Heights, If Practicable (C-Corps)

Command: Lt General Richard S. Ewell, Corps Commander

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if Ewell's corps, along with elements of AP Hill's corps, attacked the Union position at the heights south of Gettysburg, the late evening of day one of the battle.

Situation: We thought this day's fighting was over, as the sun sets behind the western hills and the sounds of battle have lulled. But now, following the arrival of Johnson's division, our corps is again preparing to do battle. Our orders that soon will follow: Take the heights south of Gettysburg!

Mission: Capture and hold the Culp's Hill, The Saddle, and Cemetery Hill objectives within 45 minutes.

Objectives: For the last 15 minutes the three objectives will award 312 points per minute (52 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 4680 points.

Visibility: As nightfall approaches, visibility will decrease at approximately 4 to 3 minute intervals, down to 30 yards the last three minutes.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 15,641 Troops, 48 Guns
    USA - 12,204 Troops, 41 guns
    _________________________________________________________________________________

This 'What If' scenario represents a situation in which once General Johnson's Division arrived at Gettysburg by 6:30 PM, General Ewell decided that an attack on the heights south of Gettysburg by 7:30 PM was practicable.

Earlier, Ewell had already opted out of any further pursuits after the Union defenses west and north of Gettysburg were broken. This option was presented by General Lee to Ewell between 4:30 and 5:30 as the Union forces were in full retreat to the heights south of Gettysburg -- It read, "If practicable, take the heights south of Gettysburg". At this time, Johnson's division was still an hour out from Gettysburg, making this scenario's timeline quite feasible.

For this attack, along with Johnson's division, Ewell assembles three brigades from General Rodes division, two brigades from General Early's division, and two brigades from General Pender's division of General AP Hill's corps. These brigades were the least depleted, largest and most available of the two Confederate corps after the day's actions.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep at least half of your officers TC'd. For the initial movements select the brigade commander (I recommend movements by brigade), then select 'Atcommoff', double click destination, select formation, then 'tcofficers'. Don't worry about officers overlapping enemy units because all officers are scripted as 'immortal' in this scenario series. Over the years I've found that the game plays much better with immortal officers plus it improves the enemy AI competition wise.

All my test plays resulted in major victories. This one fared the best with the final 'Strength' stat at almost 10,000 troops. It proved to be an immersive tactical challenge, whereas all my officers were guided alternating 'TC On and Off' from beginning to end.

So, what's the verdict?
    Given that the Johnson's Division arrival time is accurate and this scenario's build is plausible -- Should General Ewell have reconsidered General Lee's order to "Take the Heights, If Practicable"?

Presented this 'Memorial Day', May 31, 2021...Hopefully the 'End Days' of Covid-19 as we gradually move to normality. Vaccine up, to make it so!

RB

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by RebBugler.

2 weeks 17 hours ago - 2 weeks 17 hours ago #221 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• I'm presently considering following up with at least one carryover scenario, extending the battle for 'The Heights'.  Just in case this comes to fruition I've replaced the latest scenario download, GB1-08btn, with a carryover tagged version.  It's an exact version, just carryover ready.  It replaced the original download version at 11:57 PM last night, so it's still dated as May 31.  Once downloaded, it can be identified by opening the scenario Info file and finding this statement near the top: 

Carryover Scenario to:  Scenario GB1-09btn, Major Victory required for carryover

This replacement scenario will be the key to opening GB1-09btn in the event that it is offered.  There is some doubt that it will be offered in that it will be adding another 4000 Union troops to a scenario that is already stressing performance limits.  It will also be a night scenario, of which are hard on the eyes and tend to be unpopular.  I'll have to test and test to determine its entertainment value.  Regardless, get your Major Victory with a strong remaining 'Strength' number with this replacement, just in case that it indeed comes to fruition.

Last edit: 2 weeks 17 hours ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly

1 week 5 days ago #222 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• MV on the GB2Howard scenario!
    PHEW!
    That was one hard fought one, right up to the end it was still in the balance.
    I managed to hold onto each and every one of the positions all the way through the battle, even so, it was a close run thing!

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

1 week 4 days ago #223 by Chichetr

• Thank you received: 49

• Guys, absolutely LOVING the new SR1 scenarios!

However, I just downloaded the new update 5/31 to try and play "The heights if practicable" and I get an error that says "Level not found" and then an option to Abort.

Can someone help me out? I'm attaching a screen shot of the mods:

Attachments:

1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #224 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Guys, absolutely LOVING the new SR1 scenarios!

However, I just downloaded the new update 5/31 to try and play "The heights if practicable" and I get an error that says "Level not found" and then an option to Abort.

Can someone help me out? I'm attaching a screen shot of the mods:

Easy fix, enable the 'True Ground Maps - Gettysburg - The Big Picture' mod. You probably disabled it to play something it clashed with. It must always be enabled with this mod, it's the maps, hence the 'Level not found' error.

Thanks for the kudos...

Edit: Just saw another problem as I read your attachment again...You haven't updated to the latest ' True Ground Maps ...' mod.

Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Chichetr

1 week 4 days ago #225 by Chichetr

• Thank you received: 49

• Phew! That did it, updated to newest version and she fired right up!

Now the only problem is that my sprites now look off. Some are large and some are very small? Not sure what's going on here?
    Attachments:

1 week 4 days ago #226 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Phew! That did it, updated to newest version and she fired right up!

Now the only problem is that my sprites now look off. Some are large and some are very small? Not sure what's going on here?

The 'Bloodbath' mod may be causing this issue, try disabling it and see. You don't really need it anyway as the 'TC2M SOW Infantry Mod' and the '4K Packed Artillery,Cavalry,et al' mods both add most of the bloodbath effects.

Also, that GCM Toolbar mod you have activated may be causing issues by clashing with B&F. Besides, B&F has all the commands available with the SOW engine.

If you like the Bloodbath effects better, you may try it out at a higher priority placement and maybe avoid the troop size issues, but disable it first to see if is indeed causing the troop size issues.

Good Luck

RB

1 week 4 days ago #227 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Yep, Bloodbath was causing the issue.  I prioritized it between the 'TC2M SOW Infantry SR1' and 'True Ground SR1' mods and that fixed the troop size issues. So, if you want to stick with Bloodbath, it works in that priority state. It does offer more 'blood-letting' effects, heads blown off, bodies blown to bits, all the 'war is Hell' type stuff.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chichetr

1 week 4 days ago #228 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• MV on the GB2Howard scenario!
    PHEW!
    That was one hard fought one, right up to the end it was still in the balance.
    I managed to hold onto each and every one of the positions all the way through the battle, even so, it was a close run thing!

David(jolly)

Congrats, you conquered a tough one!

The Rebel tide coming up Cemetery Hill from the north still sticks in my mind, and, can I stop it? Managed to get most of my Artillery brigade up near the Howard objective and they saved the day, along with nightfall.

1 week 3 days ago #229 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• One ploy of mine was to use a couple of Brigades on both flanks to try and 'pull away' some of the attacking Rebels, thus decreasing their attack force. A lot of artillery movement too, trying to maximize them to the full.
    Keeps you busy! ;)

David(jolly)

1 week 2 days ago #230 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• The ' Bloodbath VI ' mod may be added to enhance the blood-letting effects of battle that are already provided in a 'lite form' when enabling the 'TC2M SOW Infantry Mod' and the '4K Packed Artillery,Cavalry,et al' mods.

'Bloodbath VI' must be prioritized between the 'TC2M SOW Infantry SR1' and 'True Ground SR1' mods to function properly and display all its gory effects:

Attachments:

5 days 21 hours ago #231 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB1-09btn_July1-Holding the Heights, after Nightfall (C-Corps)

Carryover Scenario from: Scenario GB1-08btn, Major Victory required for carryover
    Carryover Scenario to: Scenario GB1-10btn, Victory required for carryover

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if Ewell's corps, along with elements of AP Hill's corps, attacked and gained the Union positions along the heights south of Gettysburg, the late evening of day one of the battle.

Situation: Morale is high, we've captured the heights. But our victory is not complete as word has come that enemy reinforcements have arrived in the darkness and we must now prepare to defend against a counteroffensive.

Mission: Continue to hold the Culp's Hill, The Saddle, and Cemetery Hill objectives.

Objectives: The three objectives will award 78 points per minute (13 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 4680 points.

Visibility: 225 yards, Full moon, partly cloudy.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 15,641 Troops, 48 Guns (before carryover)
    USA - 16,128 Troops, 41 guns (before carryover)

This 'What If' scenario represents a situation in which once the heights south of Gettysburg were taken by the Confederates, a Union counteroffensive would result. Historically, it appears most plausible that General Geary's division of Slocum's corps would be the most likely unit to reinforce and lead this counteroffensive because General Candy and General Greene's brigades of Geary's division were already en route to the heights by the late evening.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep at least half of your officers TC'd. For the initial movements select the brigade commander (I recommend movements by brigade), then select 'Atcommoff', double click destination, select formation, then 'tcofficers'. Don't worry about officers overlapping enemy units because all officers are scripted as 'immortal' in this scenario series. Over the years I've found that the game plays much better with immortal officers plus it improves the enemy AI competition wise.

Suggestion...
    Toward the end of this scenario set up your troops to get ready for the next one. The next CSA scenario ('carryover from' this one) will be a 'carryover=3' version, whereas the ending positions for this scenario will be the beginning positions for the next one.

Again, all the test plays were Major Victories. This one proved the best when I got brave enough to advance my artillery brigades into the darkness and toward the fighting. My previous attempt at these movements ended in disaster for my artillery, so, use caution.

So, again, what's the verdict?
    Given that these scenarios reflect historically plausible events -- Should General Ewell have reconsidered General Lee's order to "Take the Heights, If Practicable"?

RB

Attachments:

4 days 16 hours ago #232 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• I really like the idea of this Reb, it adds new dynamics into the gameplay.
    Fine work indeed!

David(jolly)

3 days 19 hours ago #233 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• I really like the idea of this Reb, it adds new dynamics into the gameplay.
    Fine work indeed!

David(jolly)

Yeah, this 'what if set of scenarios' is proving to be an entertaining and plausible journey. And, to add to its plausibility I found this LINK . Before I found this link I just threw in the full moon visibility as another 'what if' premise. But now, according to the link, the visibility distance of 225 yards was indeed right on for a 'full moon, party cloudy night' on July 1, 1863. In fact, it was a Supermoon, closest distance to earth, so, the best 'moon phase' setting of the year for night fighting visibility.

2 days 19 hours ago #234 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB1-10btn_July1-Holding the Heights, Nightfire (C-Corps)

Carryover Scenario from: Scenario GB1-09btn, Victory required for carryover

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if Ewell's corps, along with elements of AP Hill's corps, attacked and gained the Union positions along the heights south of Gettysburg, the late evening of day one of the battle.

Situation: Morale remains high, after capturing the heights we've just repulsed a counterattack. But we fear more attacks will come as reports have just been received that more enemy reinforcements are en route to our position. It appears that our mettle will be tested once again.

Mission: Continue to hold the Culp's Hill, The Saddle, and Cemetery Hill objectives.

Objectives: The three objectives will award 78 points per minute (13 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 4680 points.

Visibility: 225 yards, Full moon, partly cloudy (During 1863 there were 13 full moons whereas the full moon on July 1 was closest to Earth -- a Supermoon)

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 15,641 Troops, 48 Guns (before carryover)
    USA - 21,051 Troops, 41 guns (before carryover)

This 'What If' scenario represents a situation in which once the heights south of Gettysburg were taken by the Confederates, a Union counteroffensive would result. Historically, it appears most plausible that General Geary's division of Slocum's corps would be the most likely unit to reinforce and lead this counteroffensive because General Candy and General Greene's brigades of Geary's division were already en route to the heights by the late evening.

Since General Humphreys' division of the III Corps was the closest unit it's probable that they would be called up next to take back the heights.

The aftermath...
    As seen in the background, Carter's artillery brigade somehow endured the Union onslaught, my other two artillery brigades were virtually destroyed.

Not an easy win! Lost the Culp's Hill and the Saddle objectives for a while but managed to get them back before the end. Regardless of points, that was the important point of this scenario -- Securing the heights for the Confederacy!

And yet again, what's the verdict?
    Given that these scenarios reflect historically plausible events, also, with the aid of a Supermoon -- Should General Ewell have reconsidered General Lee's order to "Take the Heights, If Practicable"?

RB

Attachments:

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy