Same old, same old

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

Reb, I just tried playing a game without a single mod enabled, and for the first time in three weeks the game did not crash.  But playing without any mods is, well, a little dull compared to using those great mods I've been used to over the years.

I'll check the anti-virus as you suggested.
Thank you.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Jolly
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by Jolly »

You could try adding your favourite mods one at a time to check which ones are causing any problems.
Some mods also need to be in the correct order - ie below or above others in the mod listings. Usually there is a readme with some mods, which has information on the order the mod should be in relation to others.

cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

A Ray of Hope

I played a two and a half hour game today, and it did not crash. Actually, I just got my troops on their way, then set the speed on high and left them alone. I used three mods:  B&F XIX, Peninsula Campaign of 1862, and NGCM 1.

If those three mods work consistently, then I won't need to try any others. I'll try MP in a few days and see how it goes, but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Many thanks, Reb, for all your help. Wish me luck!
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

After many game crashes I took my old computer, which had died a painful death, to a computer guru. He brought it back to life, so I tried playing SOWG solitaire. No problem. Everything worked. 
The attachment SOWGB.log is no longer available
Then I tried MP with my friend. Each game we tried lasted 11-13 min. and then kicked us out. So I got an IT guy, he tinkered with my computer, and last night I set a MP game for 40 min, just to see if we could get past that 13 min. limit. And we did. I felt very good until I looked at the log. Looking at it, I don't see how we lasted 40 min. 
Reb, please take a look at the log. Would love your input. Thanks.
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

Same old, same old suggestions...

Update B&F and ditch the GcmRandomMaps4 mod, it's probably causing the terrain errors. I found the download thread for GcmRandomMaps4 and it requires a companion mod to run correctly. At that point you had supposedly gotten things in hand so I didn't share this find.

The Bad Formation Error is most likely an OOB error. By the number of errors the OOB has possibly been corrupted by an added or deleted column in the OOB file.

That's all I've got, Good Luck
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

More on the 'Bad Formation' error...

Possibly you used an old, pre-2010, OOB that never got the 'mod' column added that occurred with a later SOW update.  That would explain the multiple errors.  It's an easy fix, post it here and we'll get it fixed up, posted for a return download, and explain how you can fix any future old OOBs you run across.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

Thank you for the follow-up, Reb. By posting the OOB we are using I assume you mean just post the name. Hope that's right. We always use the Peninsula Campaign 1862 mod and specifically, "Glendale_Jackson What If"
I finally took your advice and we ditched GCM RandomMaps4, but hope to use the NGCM RandomMaps1 when my friend installs it. He is still having trouble installing the B&F XIX, so today we still used XII.
But for the good news, we played a full two-hour game today with no problems, and that's the first time we've been able to play a full game in about six weeks.
So thank you for your help and patience during this last month. You've helped make two old guys, my friend and me, very happy. We tell our wives that it's playing SOWG that keeps us out of saloons, so they thank you as well.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

Glad to hear you got an uninterrupted play in with your bud, hopefully you'll both get B&F updated to the modern version, it's even more efficient in keeping folks out of saloons. Image

Regarding the OOB issue, to check it out we need the files. Best to just zip the OOBs folder in the mod with issues, and attach it here. If one OOB has that issue, they all probably do.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

The attachment OOB_SB_PC15_Glendale_JacksonWhatIf.csv is no longer available
Reb, I have attached the OOB file that has been giving me a "Bad Formation" error in the log. It is from the mod, Peninsula Campaign 1862, but the file I have attached is the only one we use from that mod. You said earlier that you may be able to fix it. Will be much obliged--Thank you.
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

Gave it a fast look and all the formations appeared to be standard stock versions.  I did find one possible issue, the 'OOBMOD' column had 1 and 2 designations throughout, these are normally reserved for cavalry entries only.  Anyway, I cleared that column, see if it works better, and if your issues still persist attach the log file here, you know the drill.
The attachment OOB_SB_PC15_Glendale_JacksonWhatIf_2021-06-28.csv is no longer available
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]