SOWGB Mods: Thanks and need some guidance

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Hancock
Reactions:

Post by Hancock »

Many thanks to RebBugler and other design team members that made this game possible.  Since first released, I have enjoyed many hours of single and multi player game play.  When the Covid hit, I jumped back in replaying the standard scenarios across all battles, plus sandbox scenarios utilizing the amazing mods released over time.  I hope this post finds you all well and surviving this madness.

I was in contact with RebBugler in April last year on another site regarding the game, then a follow on with him this past week (My user name on Matrix is Steveonfirst).  I had experienced some laptop issues and lost my complete mods folder.  He provided me a link to this site to begin a rebuild, which I have recently completed.  The rebuild included mods of more recent release I had not downloaded (such as Gettysburg Bonus Scenarios and True Ground Terrain Xtra- v2).  And this is where I need some guidance.  

Attached is a screen shot of the game mods list.  Particularly with reference to the more recent mods, are there any dependencies between the mods and/or how they are arranged to insure they work properly.  Also, on the mods such as Bonus Scenarios, are they designed to work on their own or are other mods required to work properly.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide  And once again, thank you for many hours of enjoyment.

Regards, Hancock (Steve) 
The attachment Screenshot (2).png is no longer available
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (957.19 KiB) Viewed 183 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey Steve

This attachment shows how I am presently prioritizing and enabling my mods.  Fundamentally they start with scenario and terrain mods, then map mods, then specialty mods.  The main rule of thumb to know and understand is that the last (bottom) mods read the mod files last, thus overwriting all 'same name' file data above their priority position.  Map mods enabled together sometimes cause conflicts, I prefer to only enable maps as I use them. 

Usually mod authors include prioritization info in their Mod Intro, as seen in this attachment. 

The attachment Modifications Listing.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Modifications Listing.jpg
Modifications Listing.jpg (337.62 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Hancock
Reactions:

Post by Hancock »

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking forward to checking out some of the newer mods.

All the best, Steve
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Have you also checked out the new multiplayer mod? It's a revamp of the old GCM. https://ngcmsow.com/
Hancock
Reactions:

Post by Hancock »

Have not, and have not done MP in a number of years. My MP buddies and I moved on to some other MP military strategy games,but that ended a year ago. Now SP. So, looking forward to working through the true ground scenarios beginning this week.