Does the AI improve with repeat performances?

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
massena
Reactions:

Does the AI improve with repeat performances?

Post by massena »

Hi All

Been playing Hulot's attack. I used to win following Darkrob's tactics. Now I don't. Is the AI better now?
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Does the AI improve with repeat performances?

Post by DarkRob »

Hi All

Been playing Hulot's attack. I used to win following Darkrob's tactics. Now I don't. Is the AI better now?
That video was recorded a long time ago. Patch 1.03 did introduce a number of AI enhancements, but none of them that I can think of should really have much of an impact on a scenario that small. It should still work now the same as it did then. I haven't played that particular scenario in a long time though, as the small brigade scenarios don't appeal to me that much anymore.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

Ok DarkRob. Thanks for that.
RALB
Reactions:

Post by RALB »

I am probably completely wrong but for a long time I have felt that the AI learns
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I am probably completely wrong but for a long time I have felt that the AI learns
It doesn't. There are variations in what it does, and no two playthroughs will ever be exactly the same, but it doesn't actually learn to play the game any better from one play to the next. If it did it wouldn't have kept walking up to brick wall defensive formations and letting me hand its head to it for the past 5 years.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

I think patch 1.03 must have significantly improved the AI -- if only for the Hulot's attack scenario-- since not one of the events there currently duplicates DarkRob's experience.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I think patch 1.03 must have significantly improved the AI -- if only for the Hulot's attack scenario-- since not one of the events there currently duplicates DarkRob's experience.
In what way specifically? As I recall the Prussians just sit there while you charge across the bridge and take their artillery. The biggest thing I remember about that scenario is that the challenge is actually getting your men across the two bridges cohesively. What do the Prussians do differently now that they didn't before?
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

Well, the first French unit across the bridge and making an immediate right initially captures most of the Prussian guns but then loses them to a counter-attack and is forced to retreat. The Prussians are not cleared out of the area.

The second French unit across the bridge and charging both Prussian units on its left fails completely, is counter-charged and forced to retreat. The Prussians never run away.

I ultimate gain the objective only with the help of reinforcements but by then its too late.

But, you don't have to take my word for it. ;)

Best
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Well, the first French unit across the bridge and making an immediate right initially captures most of the Prussian guns but then loses them to a counter-attack and is forced to retreat. The Prussians are not cleared out of the area.

The second French unit across the bridge and charging both Prussian units on its left fails completely, is counter-charged and forced to retreat. The Prussians never run away.

I ultimate gain the objective only with the help of reinforcements but by then its too late.

But, you don't have to take my word for it. ;)

Best
All of that has happened to me as well. In fact I think I may have mentioned in the video(hazy, this is from like two years ago) that usually I have to hammer away at the Prussians over and over again to get them to break. Usually you end up wrecking your first three units. That's fine because you can bring up the other three units later on. You also don't need to rout or capture every Prussian infantry unit. Hit them enough times and they will pull back. The important thing is that they pull back and aren't in shape to come forward later on and shoot away at you while you're stuck in square once the Prussian cavalry arrive.

If memory serves you only need 1000 points for a major victory, and that objective is worth 100 points a minute. So even if you have 0 points (which you shouldnt) and capture the objective with only 10 minutes remaining, it would still be enough.

The key is the approach. Get your first three units over the two bridges as close together as possible. If you get countercharged by the Prussians by the guns, hit them with another unit. Then regroup and hit the Prussians on the other side. The cavalry doesn't arrive until later so it's not like you have to drive them off instantly. Just make sure they are in no shape to support their cavalry once they force you into square.
Last edited by DarkRob on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

Ok. That's what I'm doing -- but I've needed about 2 or 3 extra minutes to score Big Time.

Not to make a Federal case out of it, but your video on this doesn't show what you or I (and others I presume) are now experiencing.

Best