Crashing Waterloo

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
massena
Reactions:

Crashing Waterloo

Post by massena »

Hello Folks,

The good people over at Slitherine sent me here because they ran out of ideas about solving my problem.

My problem is that SOWWL will instantaneously crash if I press any of these (and maybe other) buttons on the grog bar:

ordre mixte left
ordre mixte right
column in line
double line hold form
single line hold form
battle column
battle maneuver

Plus, I have a suspicion that the AI overrides my commands too easily and quickly, making it very difficult to control the troops.

I’ve done the following to remedy the problem:

Upped to 8GB of RAM
Updated Nvidia driver
Disabled all background programs
Uninstalled the game
Uninstalled Steam

Best,
John
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Crashing Waterloo

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, better to address Grog Toolbar issues with this forum, it was built and developed via feedback here.

As to your issues, first make sure you have the latest Grog Toolbar update, just released 3 days ago. Next, open the game and go to Modifications. In Modifications make sure the Grog Toolbar is prioritized in the lowest priority (bottom of the list). If not, make it so and play a game.

If it still crashes attach or copy the 'Documents/SowWL/SowWL.log' file here.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

Thanks. But, where is my mod folder? Do I need to create it?

Dufus
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

No problem. Right click on your game's shortcut icon and open Properties. In Properties select 'Open File Location'. You'll find the Mods folder here, inside the WL main folder. Open the Mods folder, delete any Grog Toolbar file therein, then copy the latest Grog Toolbar update there.

Follow the previous priority instructions and you should be good to go.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Plus, I have a suspicion that the AI overrides my commands too easily and quickly, making it very difficult to control the troops.
So long as your troops are not in range of the enemy, they will always obey your commands. Once they engage in combat however, the AI will take over. So long as you leave your officers and men under AI control, the AI's commands override yours. Any movements or commands you give them while they are under AI control are more like suggestions, and the AI will almost always override them in favor of its own plans. In order to have full control of your troops you must "Take Charge" of them(We call it TC.)

When you TC a unit/s or officer, you disable the AI's ability to command it/them. This has pros and cons. On the one hand, you now have full command and control of the units you TC, and they will do exactly what you want them to without interference from the AI.

But this comes with some drawbacks. Without the AI, the units or officers are for all practical purposes, brain dead zombies. They cannot think, or act for themselves, aside from a few automatic actions such as deploying into line and firing at enemy units that either it comes into engage distance with, or that come within range of it. Beyond that, they are fully dependent on you to not lead them into disaster.
But, where is my mod folder? Do I need to create it?
Go into your hard drive and look for the Matrix games folder, click on it. Then look for the Scourge of War Waterloo folder, click on that. It will bring up a whole bunch of other folders, one of them will be labeled "mods", it will probably be like the 8th or 9th folder down. Drag the grog toolbar folder and drop it into the mods folder. You're done.

Launch the game, go into the modifications tab, left click on the grog toolbar and drag it to the bottom of the list. Check the enable box, then go to the bottom of the screen and hit "Use selected mods". Your cursor will briefly turn into an hourglass and then return you to the title screen. You're done.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

OK. Now I have the the latest Expanded Grog Toolbar in the Mod section of Waterloo. It is checked. I launch the game...but see only 'Line' 'Column' Square' and 'Use Road' buttons.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

P.S. I've deleted the previous Grog Toolbars from the Mod section.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

Ahem, there are other buttons.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

OK. Now I have the the latest Expanded Grog Toolbar in the Mod section of Waterloo. It is checked. I launch the game...but see only 'Line' 'Column' Square' and 'Use Road' buttons.
Sounds like you might still have the pop-up context menu enabled. Go into options and disable that. We don't use it with the grog toolbar.
massena
Reactions:

Post by massena »

Hello DarkRob:

If I disable the pop-up context menu, the orders I give to division and brigade commanders will not be transmitted to subordinate units.

Whether the pop-up context menu is enabled or not, the game still crashes. Boo-hoo.