'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Re: 'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

Post by Buford_119 »

Hi Reb,

I just downloaded the updated Pickett's Charge scenario, but I am still observing the issue. The 8th Virginia (BNs A and B) attacks without support from any other units.

I think I may have found the cause, however; I have been using time acceleration to fast-forward the initial artillery barrage and I suspect this may be causing the AI routines to malfunction. I will re-run the scenario at 1x speed and report back.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Update to my previous post: I just ran the scenario at normal speed through the time at which the second random event fires and observed the same behavior (only the 8th Virginia moves to the attack). A few questions regarding the battlescript:

1. Should all of the commands specified for each random event in the battlescript be executed when that event occurs?
2. What does the "time var" column indicate and what are its units (seconds, minutes, etc.)?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Buford_119 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:26 pm Update to my previous post: I just ran the scenario at normal speed through the time at which the second random event fires and observed the same behavior (only the 8th Virginia moves to the attack). A few questions regarding the battlescript:

1. Should all of the commands specified for each random event in the battlescript be executed when that event occurs?
2. What does the "time var" column indicate and what are its units (seconds, minutes, etc.)?
Initially all infantry brigades are moved forward to make contact with the Union defenses. Once contact is made specific regiments (including the 8th VA) are force moved (Aattackmarch) to take and setup defenses around the objectives, then detached and given 'Hold to the Last' orders. At the 30 minute mark all other regiments are given 'All Out Attack' orders. That's basically the Rebel attack scheme, and yes, fast forwarding does affect scripting.

Regarding your last two questions:
1. yes, when the 'timing set' happens (number following the event)
2. seconds

Thanks again for your feedback!
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Understood. I just played through the scenario at normal speed and did see that other units attack; however, the total Confederate units engaged were definitely less than a division (perhaps two or three brigades' worth of troops). It may be something to do with timing, as the scenario ended with ~3000 Union casualties to ~500 Confederate, but with both objectives still held (i.e., the main attack had not occurred yet).

I suspect that the unassisted AI may not be the best tool for achieving a historical charge (specifically, having large numbers of units move forward in a coordinated manner) and will take a crack at reworking this scenario with this in mind.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Buford_119 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:08 am Understood. I just played through the scenario at normal speed and did see that other units attack; however, the total Confederate units engaged were definitely less than a division (perhaps two or three brigades' worth of troops). It may be something to do with timing, as the scenario ended with ~3000 Union casualties to ~500 Confederate, but with both objectives still held (i.e., the main attack had not occurred yet).

I suspect that the unassisted AI may not be the best tool for achieving a historical charge (specifically, having large numbers of units move forward in a coordinated manner) and will take a crack at reworking this scenario with this in mind.
Your casualty numbers have me stumped, and how you managed to hold the objectives for the duration also. No way can I hold those objectives. That's why they only award points the last 10 minutes ... taking back the lost ground, as it happened historically, or similarly. Cool that you're going to script your own charge, that's why I got into modding ... trying to find a better way.

Anyway, here's the battlescript.csv file edited to get all Reb units into the fray. Unzip and replace it in this scenario's folder, rename the original.
battlescript.zip
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Here's my end game result with this edited version...
GB3_02btn.jpg
GB3_02btn.jpg (420.41 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

I just downloaded the updated battlescript; there is a noticeable increase in the number of units attacking, but I was still able to hold the objectives through the 1 hour mark without being pushed back. I definitely did not see any units penetrate to the depth shown in your screenshot.

I think the battlescript needs to have the attack orders occur closer to the beginning of the scenario; otherwise, the units will move to the attack but there is just not enough time for them to actually attack before the scenario ends.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Buford_119 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 am I just downloaded the updated battlescript; there is a noticeable increase in the number of units attacking, but I was still able to hold the objectives through the 1 hour mark without being pushed back. I definitely did not see any units penetrate to the depth shown in your screenshot.

I think the battlescript needs to have the attack orders occur closer to the beginning of the scenario; otherwise, the units will move to the attack but there is just not enough time for them to actually attack before the scenario ends.
Could you please take a Screenshot (key F4) at the 30 minute mark after starting the scenario. From your reports this should show me the two objectives still activated by the Union. Also point the camera west and high enough to show the Confederate advance, along with the objectives. Let's call this request 'seeing is believing', since I'm finding it impossible to replicate what you're seeing.

Regarding the second part of your message, it doesn't matter when you give the orders, as the AI is prone to changing them anyway, according to the officer's stance. But Blitz (All Out Attack) does hold best and is usually reliable. Your statement about the Rebs not having enough time to attack just doesn't add up. At the 30 minute mark the Rebs should be beyond or at the two objectives. The player is helpless to stop them, because most of his reinforcements are still locked.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Hi Reb,

I took various screenshots throughout the first half of the scenario (up to the 30 minute mark and past it), but the only units anywhere near the Union line are the two battalions of the 8th Virginia as seen in the attached pictures. The objectives remain held by the Union past the 30 minute mark as shown on the map.
Screenshot (20).png
Screenshot (20).png (2.48 MiB) Viewed 908 times
Screenshot (19).png
Screenshot (19).png (2.05 MiB) Viewed 908 times
Screenshot (18).png
Screenshot (18).png (2.16 MiB) Viewed 908 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Mystery solved - You have a non-compatible mod enabled. The western-themed toolbar is a dead giveaway.

Please read the first post for info on which mods are required and which mods are compatible to play with this mod. Here's the latest listing including all compatible mods:

TG SR1 compatible mods.jpg
TG SR1 compatible mods.jpg (307.32 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Also, this mod MUST be disabled when playing other mods!

In hindsight, I should of asked for a screenshot right off, it would of saved us both time we'll never get back. My wife quotes this to me all the time.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Following up after receiving a PM...

Priority Order in Modifications:
Bugles & Flags
True Ground Maps
True Ground SR1

Attach your log file (Work/sowgb.log) if you still have issues.

From the PM...
...one thing that seems off is that the brigade commanders (Armistead, Garnett, Kemper, etc.) send couriers to their subordinates initially, but the flag sprite does not move (only the rear horseman for each brigade commander moves forward). Are there any reasons you can think of for this?
This is by design. It's ordering custom line formations that prevent moving troops from first lining up behind the commander before forming lines; avoiding the infamous 'Conga Line' effect.