'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

I just wish I could have shown you a Major Victory Reb! :)
Close enough though, and is definitely achievable with as you say, a bit of persistence and a bit of guile. ;)
Meanwhile, I've started the 04 scn - I'll see how I go on that!

I's really nice of you to say that about my somewhat concise report, even if the formatting was a touch askew! :)

My best wishes,
David(jolly)

Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

A third attempt at the GB3-04btn - it is somewhat chaotic at the start with trying to consolidate the positions, and also the support brigades movement.
A Major Victory though, so it worked, although It was not easy, to say the least!

Thanks Reb, and Merry Christmas to you and 
The attachment GB3_04.jpg is no longer available
all.

Attachments
GB3_04.jpg
GB3_04.jpg (236.59 KiB) Viewed 669 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

A third attempt at the GB3-04btn - it is somewhat chaotic at the start with trying to consolidate the positions, and also the support brigades movement.
A Major Victory though, so it worked, although It was not easy, to say the least!

Thanks Reb, and Merry Christmas to you and all.
GB3_04.jpg
Close to Perfect, at least from a 'replay value' perspective. Since I beat it with my first attempt and accepted that effort, I had second thoughts later on whether I had shorted its competitiveness. But once again, Jolly has come through, taking three attempts to achieve a MV, and verifying a solidly competitive MV bar that this scenario sets. Also, you improved upon my victory numbers, proving that you learned more about the scenario with those two extra attempts...I salute you!

Still, with hindsight, this scenario's scoring would have been more accurate by lowering the available objective points to 5000 rather than 9000. We both would have gotten our victories in the same amount of time, but the fear of failure would have prevailed much longer with the edited version...Bottom line, it's part of the immersion thing, that thing that drives us on throughout these scenarios.

If anyone's noticed, this day, December 26, 2021, is the Second Anniversary of this SR1 scenario series release. The initial release, December 25, 2019 (late Christmas night, guess we gained a couple of hours), included four scenarios, now we're up to 74 scenarios. Thanks for all the support along the way folks, especially, the Verifier in Chief, Jolly! Image
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Happy New Year!
2 years and 74 scenarios, which is an amazing achievement Reb. Thanks so much for all the entertainment (and frustrations!) ;)

I've started the New Year with a hard fought Major Victory on the GB3-05 scenario.
I did think that I'd miscalculated regarding the use of Early's division - I split them in half, movingeach of these left and right respectively, which I thought about half way through could have a mistake. I carried on though and got the MV! :)
It was a bit of a bloodbath, casualties all over the place by the end!

David(jolly)

The attachment GB3_05btn.jpg is no longer available

The attachment GB3_05btn.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
GB3_05btn.jpg
GB3_05btn.jpg (344.23 KiB) Viewed 669 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Happy New Year!
2 years and 74 scenarios, which is an amazing achievement Reb. Thanks so much for all the entertainment (and frustrations!) ;)

I've started the New Year with a hard fought Major Victory on the GB3-05 scenario.
I did think that I'd miscalculated regarding the use of Early's division - I split them in half, moving each of these left and right respectively, which I thought about half way through could have a mistake. I carried on though and got the MV! :)
It was a bit of a bloodbath, casualties all over the place by the end!
GB3_05btn.jpg
David(jolly)

Much appreciated! Gotta admit, somehow I avoided burn-out and saw this GB SR1 series through the historic three day battle, plus the Rebel fourth day 'What If'. The six month break between scenario sets, while getting the 9 Mile map TG ready, helped a lot because it gave me time to come up with some fresh new ideas, especially new ways to handle objectives.

Regarding your MV...Very nice win! I used two of Early's brigades (Hays and Godwin) to finally capture Cemetery Hill east...It took me a while. Image Up to that point I had to keep my troops and guns on the western slope of Cemetery Hill, otherwise the Union guns along Cemetery Hill east would take their toll on them every time I tried to move them up along the crest of the hill. It was such a relief at the end of this scenario when I could finally position my guns all over the hill without them getting chewed up as they were unlimbering.

And what about those Berden Sharpshooter regiments, were you able to rout them before they marched north to wreak havoc on your Cemetery Hill objective defenses?

Thanks again for the report... Image
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Another bloody fine MV as I continue (slowly) through these scenarios ! ;)
GB3-06
I found this one seemed to be a case of defending the 2 main flag positions at all costs. Get yer artillery up there and make sure you have enough men to hold when the enemy sends in more forces as the scenario progresses.
One problem I did find was when continually trying to move Stuart's cavalry. These would hardly budge, even after countless times of going back to them. Also, this caused a lot of game crashes later in the scenario. I ended up not using them.

The attachment GB3_06.jpg is no longer available

Attachments
GB3_06.jpg
GB3_06.jpg (228.17 KiB) Viewed 669 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Another bloody fine MV as I continue (slowly) through these scenarios ! ;)
GB3-06
I found this one seemed to be a case of defending the 2 main flag positions at all costs. Get yer artillery up there and make sure you have enough men to hold when the enemy sends in more forces as the scenario progresses.
One problem I did find was when continually trying to move Stuart's cavalry. These would hardly budge, even after countless times of going back to them. Also, this caused a lot of game crashes later in the scenario. I ended up not using them.

GB3_06.jpg

The Good...
Another solid MV, Congrats! Glad you hung in there despite your performance woes. For sure, getting your artillery up to support your infantry defending your objectives is key to to winning this scenario. Also, with so many of your troops necessary to keep the objectives activated, it's a challenge to make sure your guns don't get blocked by those friendlies. It's obvious you met that challenge.

The Bad...
Crashes!!! I had to rewrite this scenario several times to help computer performance. I never crashed but the lag got so bad at times, along with some 'AI freezes', that the rewrites were inevitable. I thought I had this worked out by spreading out the Union offenses, but your experience obviously proved otherwise.

And The Ugly...
I never experienced the issues you report with moving your cavalry. This is indeed a BIG ugly. If you kept most of your officers TC'd as I suggest throughout this series when dealing with the large scale scenarios, I regret that I have no remedy for this issue.

Hopefully the next scenario will fare better performance-wise. I knew that next scenario (GB3-07) would tax computer performance even more so I excluded most of the previously routed enemy troops from entering the field of battle, and of course, kept their officers TC'd unless they became engaged. This should help you get through it without the issues you had to deal with while completing this one. But don't sugarcoat it, you've been great at reporting issues, keep'em coming, whether good, bad, or ugly.

A concise and frank report, a BIG Thanks! Image
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks Reb. I did indeed experience the lag you mention when trying to manouver the cavalry.
I didn't use them any in any case because of the problems, and of course the continual crashes when trying to select them later in the game.
Perhaps by placing Stuart's cavalry placed in a safe(ish) spot, and making them unavailable for this scenario would help? Like I say, I didn't use them, and they are still available for the next carry over, where they can indeed be used to effect so far. It's still early days playing this one (GB3-07).

Cheers,
David(jolly)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

GB3-07 and GB3-08 ...
The latter scenario I managed to wipe out the complete Rebel forces, just the officers left! ;)
Attachments
GB3-08.jpg
GB3-08.jpg (278.99 KiB) Viewed 669 times
GB3-07.jpg
GB3-07.jpg (227.1 KiB) Viewed 669 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB3-07 and GB3-08 ...
The latter scenario I managed to wipe out the complete Rebel forces, just the officers left! ;)
Since three weeks had passed since your last report, I feared the performance demands of GB3-07 had frustrated you too much to proceed with this carryover series. So, this was indeed a welcome post, plus a solid MV to report. And, you opened the door to the Union alt-history carryover series, also with a solid Major Victory. I really appreciate you're persistence in seeing these final carryover scenario series through, and hope you'll maintain your grit to continue the 'Day Four' Rebel monster scenarios. I call them monsters since they include the FULL Gettysburg army's depicted via SR1 numbers. I don't think any other Civil War game has attempted this large of a scale representation.

Thank goodness for TC, without our unique TC option Norb's games offer, this 'every sprite (soldier)' representation would be impossible, at least via 32 bit computers. Hope I live to see, and mod, a 64 bit based American Civil War game, or other war games in general, similar to SOW. Then, by beefing up the RAM and CPU to whatever you can afford, the possibilities are endless.

Another BIG Thanks Image