True Ground Maps - Gettysburg - The Big Picture

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

'True Ground' - Devil's Den Map - The Big Picture

Post by Chamberlain »

Hi Randy

Hope all is well and you are staying safe !

I'm getting a 404 error 'That file isn’t here anymore' when clicking on the download link for this update..

Thanks
Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hi Randy

Hope all is well and you are staying safe !

I'm getting a 404 error 'That file isn’t here anymore' when clicking on the download link for this update..

Thanks
Chamberlain
Appears to be fixed now, I never know until someone checks it out...Please let me know.

Considering the world we're in now, I guess everything is going OK. Still able to get groceries, gas and beer, and, have TV and internet, so, survival with most of the fixings. Our air conditioning went out for three days a couple of weeks ago, that was Hell, literally...Arkansas humidity this time of year is as deadly as covid.

Hope everything is going well with you! I miss our SOW team meetings, those were much happier times as we all developed the games together.

Take care John, glad you're still hanging around and supporting the games after all these years. Good hearing from you, and of course, your continued help.

Randy
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Randy wrote "
Appears to be fixed now, I never know until someone checks it out...Please let me know.

Hey Randy,

The file is good now as it downloaded fine and thanks for fixing..
Good to hear you are good, and you are right with all this crap going on...
Wow, no air, that is Hell..
Yes, all is good with myself and family.. Thanks for asking.
I agree, as the SOW meetings/testing was fun...
I will hang around until the end and will provide as much help as I can to the community !
Thanks for you continue updates to this game, it's awesome !
Take care Randy and stay safe !!
TGIF ....:) :)

John
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Version 2.5 Update - July 14, 2020

- Added End Screens and Sandbox OOBs from the 'True Ground SR1' mod

All Sandbox OOBs in the 'True Ground SR1' mod are now transferred to this mod.
This includes the new Battalions Sandbox OOB: OOB_SB_SR1_Btn_GB_Day2.
This upgrade offers the first glimpse of the new battalions format, featuring large SR1 Level 6 units, IOW, battalions replacing companies.

Important reminder...

Make sure you have this update installed before using the next update of 'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs. The next update, introducing Battalions, coming soon, will eliminate some End Screens from 'True Ground SR1'. This is necessary to keep 'True Ground SR1' under 5000kb for attachment purposes. Since 'True Ground SR1' must be played with this mod, this appears the best solution for expanding 'True Ground SR1' and sharing its bulk with this 'True Ground Map' mod. The transferred Sandbox OOBs are also a result of relieving bulk due to the size of the new battalion OOBs.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey Davinci

It's been a while, hope you're doing well in these difficult times.

Sixteen months ago you introduced a way to use a Hex Editor app to reduce the sizes of fences on the GB maps. Here's the beginning post on the 'True LOS' thread regarding this discussion:
https://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php/k ... t=30#79270

As demonstrated, you were able to reduce the size of all the rail and worm fences by 50 percent in a very short time using a Hex Editor app. Could you do this process again on another map? If so, the map is MarkT's 9 mile map - Turning Point, it's Mark's last Gettysburg map released.

If you need the 'Gb Turning Point.lsl' map to work with I'll post it here for download. Otherwise, have at it, and once done post the 'edited fence version' here so I can download it.

No rush, it'll take months to get the map ready for SR1 play. No pressure, but without your kick-start with the edited fences, there's no way I'll consider this project.

Thanks for at least considering this undertaking,

RB
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

I hope this all happens - it would be such a great addition to the True Ground mod.

Thanks, and best wishes to all,

David(jolly)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Reb, I have edited the fences to half of the height.
I didn’t edit the length so that there are no gaps being displayed .
I posted an edited terrain.lvl in your EMail.
I can only log on by IPhone. Can’t figure that one out.
Post back your conclusions.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 3.0  February 7, 2021

- Addition of the 'Gettysburg 9 Mile - True Ground' map (Edited from the 'Gb Turning Point' map, designed and released by MarkT)

- Addition of the Sandbox OOB:
OOB_SB_SR1_Btn_GB_Day1
Enable the mod 'True Ground SR1' so the officer portraits display properly.  Also set the sprite ratio in 'Options' to 1 for SR1, 1:1 play.
This is your first chance to check out SR1 play on the '9 Mile Map'.   

- Addition of two scenarios:
 1) TG_Gettysburg 3Days, New Ground (C-Army)
 2) TG_Gettysburg 3Days, New Ground (U-Army)
Disable the mod 'True Ground SR1' so the officer portraits display properly.  Also set the sprite ratio in 'Options' to 0 or 4 for normal, 4:1 play.
These are the same scenarios released with the 'Gettysburg 3Days, New Ground' mod.  Only the ground has changed.

Take note that this mod's name has been changed.  This was obviously necessary due to the addition of a second map.  After downloading this mod, delete or remove the previous mod, 'True Ground - Devil's Den Map - The Big Picture', to avoid issues of duplication.

A big thanks to MarkT for making this map available to our forum.  Its unique size allows for the FULL three day battle of Gettysburg to be represented via historically based scenarios.

A special thanks to Davinci for scaling down the thousands of fence segments.  Without this process, this update quite possibly wouldn't be happening.

Other 'True Ground' map changes include:
- All buildings and objects scaled down
- The terrain was leveled via the 'height.tga' file
- In the map.ini file the 'Settings' were reset to 'UnitPerYard=22', using the mile distance between the Little Round Top and the Peach Orchard as the standard.  This established alignment between toolbar and map distances; i.e., engagement distances, line of sight, etc.
- Addition of picket fencing to many farms and residences for the sole purpose of eye-candy
- Added more structures to Gettysburg proper since the scale reductions tended to visually thin it out
- Reconfigured the boulder and rock formations at the Little Round top and Devil's Den arenas.

Feedback for improvements (or fixes) to this map are most welcome.  In the meantime I'll be prepping for potential SR1 scenarios to really do this map justice.

RB
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

YES! Thank you.
Keat
Reactions:

Post by Keat »

I just played through the 3 days and managed to squeze out a minor vicotry. Thank you so much for these. Really wonderful to still see new maps and mods coming out.