True LOS - Realistic Battle Distances

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: True LOS - Realistic Battle Distances

Post by Davinci »

The ideal fix would be to replace (batch process) the stock worm fence segment with two scaled down (0.5) and linked worm fence segments.
I doubt that that is possible, considering that the "terrain.lvl" file would have to be "Hacked" since that is the file that is storing all of this information.

An how would anyone Code the "Batch Process" to move the fences to the left or the right when a lot of them are just randomly placed where the "Map Designer" thought that they should appear.

I don't think that you are understanding the value of the "HexEditor" in this situation.

As of Now, you have to Open every single fence and change the first two values which takes a lot of time.

If All of them were reduce in size, You would save hundreds of hours by just moving them either left or right too reconnect them together, and then just "Duplicate" some-more to fill in the gaps.
I see available Hex Editor apps on line. Do you have a recommendation I can check out safely?
I use the "XVI32" since its the first one that I started using years ago, but I think that All of them do just about the same thing.

Try to find one that doesn't have an Expire Date - You know, No Trial Version!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

...Working on Devils Den, since you asked, objects are scaled at 0.5, soldier sprites slightly smaller, they were divided by 2.15 (the arrived at magic number for true distances), whatever that percentage is, probably around 0.48. These different scales work OK for me since I've always observed the soldiers being slightly too large for the objects in the stock game.
Reb - Opened the Devil's Den map and scaled a fence at ( 0.5 ) - are you sure that you are using those values?

That is extremely small - and has to be a 95% reduction of the original values.

Or, does the ( 0.5 ) mean that you are reducing them by 50% ? Which would seem more Logical!

So, are you using something like 2.5 2.5 2.5 for the values of the fences?

Just in case you wanted to know, there are...

791 Worm-Fences
937 Rail Fences
344 Plank Fences ( White )
213 Picket Fences ( White )

Didn't count the structures.....

131072,0 Pixels down one side of the Map!

Happy Hunting!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Or, does the ( 0.5 ) mean that you are reducing them by 50% ? Which would seem more Logical!

So, are you using something like 2.5 2.5 2.5 for the values of the fences?

Just in case you wanted to know, there are...

791 Worm-Fences
937 Rail Fences
344 Plank Fences ( White )
213 Picket Fences ( White )
Yes, 50% reduction, obviously I wasn't clear as to the scaling, but you figured out my jargon.

And yes, the numbers are daunting, but right now I'm committed to seeing this through. Also, I refuse to throw away a week of work on this. And above all, I want the fences to look as realistic as possible, not appearing flattened and stretched. Still, if this mod pans out, more maps will be added, I won't go through this mundane fence scaling madness again. I'll definitely go the Hex Editor route, or something similar to batch process fencing scaling.

Thanks for your warning, we'll just have to see if burn out gets me before I complete this first map - Devil's Den, :evil: how appropriate for the task ahead. :woohoo:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Reb - If you want this file , here it is!

All of the fences have been scaled to 2.5 2.5 2.5 with the exception of some of the white "Pickett Fences".

Now, all that you have to do is Click on One, Duplicate it, and fill in the spaces.

Way faster then doing them Manually.
The attachment 1_2019-08-14.png is no longer available
The attachment terrain.rar is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
terrain.rar
(101.86 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
1_2019-08-14.png
1_2019-08-14.png (770.65 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

BTW - If you choose to use that "terrain.lvl" file posted above, it will "Over-Write" your terrain.lvl file so any changes that you have made will be lost.

There is No way possible to combine them into one, that I am aware of!

If you choose to use it, Copy it into your DD_RT Map folder in the NSD\Tools folder.

davinci
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

BTW - If you choose to use that "terrain.lvl" file posted above, it will "Over-Write" your terrain.lvl file so any changes that you have made will be lost.

There is No way possible to combine them into one, that I am aware of!

If you choose to use it, Copy it into your DD_RT Map folder in the NSD\Tools folder.

davinci
Alright Davinci, that works fine for the worm fences in saving a LOT of time. Not so much though with the slat fencing as the space between segments is too small to accept duplicates. The picket fencing is plagued with overlapping segments so this isn't a time saver.

This will be a good scaling fix when beginning a new map. Unfortunately I've already done hundreds of the slat fencing segments, the toughest fencing to aline, so I can't use this fix for this (in progress) map.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul71stPVI
Reactions:

Post by Paul71stPVI »

Any chance anyone has a working link to this? Thanks!
Company K
1st California Regiment (71st P.V.)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Link to download this mod is hopefully fixed on the first post. Thanks for the interest...