Re: Building a map, start of a project, help will be needed

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
r59
Reactions:

Post by r59 »

The files save one at a time which is a bit duh!, but maybe I can write a batch.
Hell, you made me remember I wrote a replacing C++ command-line tool to exactly avoid that hassle at the times of TC2M! :laugh:
Umh, it was about 13 years ago, I think... :huh:
But Davinci's posts on map modding are informative just the same as then. Keep them coming! ;)
Last edited by r59 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I don't see why but running LibEdit as Admin removed the password dialogue. Weird.
It doesn't matter where the files are located, and Cntl C/V works as well as drag/drop.
(File/Open Existing Library works too.)
Yes, I tried to run the Newer PR6 - when the Tools became available and ran into a Problem with the LibEdit Window, so I never went back to that particular Version - So, I run the older Version with it's own Directory.
I have now used the tool to load a default map into Lstudio for editing.
The files save one at a time which is a bit duh!, but maybe I can write a batch.
They Load that way once when placing them into a New folder. But once they are located in that file, it won't do that anymore. Saving and Editing the files are almost instant.
It opened using your provided lpj (I know nothing about lpj file type)
That file ( lpj ) is strictly an Power Render Program, file used to Open up the Maps.
The mouse commands for world navigation don't seem to work in Lstudio, but luckily there are keyboard shortcuts.
Yes, but once you start using the Keyboard Keys, it will all work out well, the Mouse is used to Place objects down and remove them, if I am remembering that correctly.

It's been a while since I have used them. Getting Old!
I will try to make some changes and see if I can get them in game.
Great, One of the functions in the Menu will slow down the Camera to place down the Objects, I will have to Load the Program to remember which keys does that.

Good Luck!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Damn.

Now I can load a map into Lstudio, make some simple changes and save.
But trying to compile is a CTD.

I fixed it!
From the PR6 Directory, Create a New Folder and name it "Whatever" you want your Map name to be. For Clarity in this example, it is called "Map 1"
I think it has to be in Levels to work.

And I needed to create "CompiledLevels" too.
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Damn.

Now I can load a map into Lstudio, make some simple changes and save.
But trying to compile is a CTD.

I fixed it!
From the PR6 Directory, Create a New Folder and name it "Whatever" you want your Map name to be. For Clarity in this example, it is called "Map 1"
I think it has to be in Levels to work.

And I needed to create "CompiledLevels" too.
OK, When the Map-Tools were first available, the Compile didn't work, so I have never used it.

Once you have made any changes in the PR6 Program - Save the files in PR6 and Exit.

Once, you are back in the PR6 \ Directory - Open LibEdit and drag the Mapname.lsl file into LibEdit.

All of the files will display - Click "Action" \ Add Update Files \ Navigate back into the Folder that you created and Select all of the files. Click "Open".

All of the files will Compile into the ( lsl ) file. Then place the New Edited ( lsl ) file into the Games \ Mods \ Map - folder.

That is basically the only way that I have ever done it, never used Compile!

davinci
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Well.
Made a lot of progress thanks to Davinci, but hurdles remain (of course)
  • Made a folder in NSDTools/levels "TM1"
  • Used WLGen1.lsl to populate that folder with extracted files using LibEdit
  • Added TM1.lpj to the folder, think its a simple text file with the absolute path to the TM1 folder, in my case:
    "D:\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\SDK\NSDTOOLS\LEVELS\TM1"
  • Opened Lstudio with TM1.lpj and got the N-S map as required.
  • Added a single object in the editor
  • Compiled "TM1.lsl" in NSDTools/CompiledLevels
  • Copied and renamed WLGen1.bmp/csv/dds/ini to Base/Maps as TM1.bmp/csv/dds/ini, and moved TM1.lsl there too
  • Checked that TM1.ini has the correct four filenames in [Files] block
  • Used ScenarioEditor to make a simple scenario using "TM1" as map in SOWWL/Scenarios
  • Started SOWWL and tried to load the scenario with this result:

Probably only missing something simple?
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Damn

Didn't see Davinci's last post :P

OK, my files are likely in the wrong place, but I don't have //Mods/Maps :unsure:

I will try to create a folder there and move my files.
Also try the other compilation method.

Keep you posted.

EDIT:
This church from Ligny has been added to the N-S map by me, and is in a sandbox scenario. There is hope!
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

OK, Sorry for the Confusion, there is Not a Mods\Maps - that was a Simple way of saying that once you Edit the Map in question - you have to Copy it into the Game which is usually in Your Mods\MapName - Folder.

Basically , the "folder" that has all of the other files that are associated with this particular Map.

OK, Great - You are Adding Objects - Once you feel that you are making progress, We can go over the path towards adding or removing roads and woods, and etc...

The Last Map that I was working on was "MarkT" Manassas Map - So, once I edit it (i.e..the MapName.lsl ) from the "PR6 \ Directory" , I will move it into the Games \ Mods \ Map - Folder to view the results.
The attachment 2.png is no longer available
But, I think that you have already figured most of this out, which is Good!

davinci
Attachments
2.png
2.png (148.47 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

But, I think that you have already figured most of this out, which is Good!
Without your stellar help I would still be at step one!

I think I understand the principles for the terrain. It's gray-scale values from the BMP which are looked up in map.csv?

And altitudes are similarly gray-scale values from height.tga? And the mesh can also be dragged in Lstudio.

But I'm sure there will be more confusion and chaos along the way. But progress is being made - thanks!
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Now I have a new question ;)
I read in another post that some map mods are for sandbox only.
What is it that restricts them in that way?
Does it mean that if I build a map I might not be able to use it in a user scenario?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

This is Not going to be 100% Correct, but sort of how I view this particular Topic!

You are basically running Two Different Engines - That sort of have Nothing to do with each other, but are Programmed to work together.

The "Power Render Engine" - is Not Designed by "Norb", only Programmed by "Norb" to work with "his" Engine.

Norb's Engine is the - other files that are used to interact with the Power Render Engine, such as the bmp, csv, dds, and the ini files.

So, the "Height" that is displayed is controlled by the PR6, not by Norb's Engine.

The RGB files, which there are usually four of them, are also controlled by the PR6 Program. One without the other and the whole system will just not work, correctly.

It's sort of hard to explain, correctly, but "Norb's" game has no idea where to "March" the men on the roads that are displayed on the RGB files, they can't see any of the roads, river's, streams, etc...

This is where the coordinates-system is used to keep everything working together.

The "MapName.bmp" file - controls the coordinates where everything that is display on the RGB files can be read into the game. This file can Only use Greyscale Colors 0-255.

The "MapName.csv" file - then reads the "MapName.bmp" file - and displays the terrain that is shown in the game based off of the "Greyscale" color's used by the bmp file . If this file reads a Greyscale Color that is not used in the (bmp) it will create an error each time that color is not there.

The "MapName.dds" file - is just a miniature picture of the Map that is used to view the whole map while in the game.

The "MapName.ini" file - tells the game which files are associated with this particular map so that it doesn't try to load the wrong files. So, basically you can have hundreds of Map files that won't conflict with each other.

The "Packages" are the Objects that are displayed in Both the PR6 Program and the Game, that is probably the Only thing that that Engines have in common.

To "View" the contents of the Packages - Just Drag and Drop into the "LibEdit" Window, they can then be copied into a folder to edit, once the Edit is complete, just drag the New files back into the LibEdit Window.

davinci