Re: Building a map, start of a project, help will be needed

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Building a map, start of a project, help will be needed

Post by 52ndOx »

Questions about Lstudio.
Q1) Lstudio runs ok, and editing seems relatively intuative, and it compiles the required .lsl
But it can only import .lsl files? So how to start the process? Is it only possible to modify an existing map?
Q2) Compile is a CTD. Known issue?
Q3) How to see which splat texture is associated with which colour in the RGB files?

A1) Map making is a bit convuluted and the best way to learn is to edit something that works
A2) The compiler needs a sub folder "CompiledLevels"
A3) Can see this in texture generator menu. The 3 files before rgb1 are the textures for r, g and b on that sheet

Questions about other tools.
Q1) Libedit looks useful but is password protected? How to bypass?

A1) Running LibEdit as Admin seems to fix this, not sure why.

General questions.
Q1) Some maps are described as sandbox only. What might make them incompatible with user scenarios?
Q2) how come some map.bmps seem to have grayscale values with no defined terrain?

A1) Davinci says that maps can be used in any module, and I trust his knowledge
A2) No idea. It should produce errors
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

EDIT: this thread is reorganised so questions and answers are in the first post. Thanks for any contributions.

So

I am taking the first step in my journey to build a map for SOWWL.

I have the SDK2 and so NSD released tools, and there is quite a lot of information in the SDK documentation.
I can also work with graphics files (with alpha) plus both .csv and .xml if required.

I understand already the map folder structure with 5 files, and some of their functions.

map.bmp - a power2 square grayscale bitmap where the values define terrain types according to entries in map.csv
map.csv - comprising 4 tables where Brush associates terrain types and parameters from the bmps grayscale value
map.ini - map information and parameters
map.lsl - an encoded binary compiled by the provided version of lstudio
map_MM.dds - a dds image used as the minimap

So my first question (of many)

Lstudio runs ok, and editing seems relatively intuative, and it compiles the required .lsl
But it can only import .lsl files? So how to start the process? Is it only possible to modify an existing map?

Can anyone push me on my first step? Thanks!
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Libedit seems able to split a compiled lsl, which would be useful, but is password protected.
How to get access?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I was Really Hoping that someone would assist you with this, but the Community is sort of scattered at the moment, so here goes!

First, Install the PR6 Program onto your Computer...Probably done, Good!

Place the LibEdit - Directly into that PR6 \ Directory for easy access, also place it in the Taskbar for easy access. That last part is Optional but that's how I do it.

From the PR6 Directory, Create a New Folder and name it "Whatever" you want your Map name to be. For Clarity in this example, it is called "Map 1"

Drag an Existing Map.lsl file from the game into the PR6 directory, one that you would like to edit first to learn with.

Open the LibEdit Window - and drag that ( ExistingMap.lsl ) into the LibEdit Window. All of the files will now show up once they are in that window.

Click the first file - it will turn blue - use the scroll bar and Shift-Click the last file - All of them should be Blue in Color.

Click the "Action" button from the LibEdit Window - Select Extract - and Copy all of the files into the New folder that you created a while back called "Map 1"

Place the File below - Once it is extracted - into the Map 1 folder - this is the file that will Open the Map 1 up to be viewed in the Power-Render-Program.

Once all of this is done, Open the LSudio.exe Program - and Navigate to the Map 1 folder - and select the "Splat2.lpj" file - the Map should now to Open and ready to Mod.

There is a lot more but this should get you a step closer!
The attachment splat2_2019-07-27.rar is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
splat2_2019-07-27.rar
(112 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by Davinci on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Hi Davinci

Great thanks! Yes I know there are few around, but I am new and only just getting going. I really appreciate the help. :)

I've got a grasp of how things work, but its not plain sailing by any means. :unsure:

Not 100% sure I have Power Render 6 installed. There is a dll in the SDK but I don't see an exe or anything.
Do I need to fetch it from somewhere else and install? I certainly don't have a PR6 directory.

If I drag an lsl into LibEdit it asks for a password so it seems I can't continue?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hmm - Now that I am thinking about it, it is probably better if "You" do not change the Name of the first Map that you are trying to learn with, this will cause a lot more work on your part to get it into the game.

Basically, you will also have to change the names of all of the other files also, bmp,csv,ini,dds,etc....

SO, once you have to Map that you would like to Edit, since it is easier to learn from an existing map, make a backup Copy of all of those Map files, and place them into a separate folder, now there is no need to rename anything.

Confusing Yes, but welcome to the Club!

Start off by adding and removing house's and fences, Save the Map, load it up into the game to see if it works.

Adding and changing the roads is a little bit more complicated , but once you are able to edit and existing map, you can do just about anything with the other maps.

davinci
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Not 100% sure I have Power Render 6 installed. There is a dll in the SDK but I don't see an exe or anything.
Do I need to fetch it from somewhere else and install? I certainly don't have a PR6 directory.

If I drag an lsl into LibEdit it asks for a password so it seems I can't continue?
It should look something like this.
The attachment 1_2019-07-27.png is no longer available
Once, Installed - There is No Password - the LibEdit Window - works with a Drag and Drop System.

Basically, You just drag a ( lsl ) into it, and the contents will display.

davinci
Attachments
1_2019-07-27.png
1_2019-07-27.png (135.92 KiB) Viewed 859 times
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

I have this structure, so it seems your PR6 folder is my NSDTools one. I think I have all the software.

But whatever lsl I try to drag into LibEdit it asks for a library password.

Last edited by 52ndOx on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

But whatever lsl I try to drag into LibEdit it asks for a library password.
Copy the ( lsl ) into the PR6 Directory - first, does the same thing happen?

Copy the ( lsl ) and the Libedit Window - onto the Desktop - does the same thing happen?

Both - are a complete guess, I haven't heard of this type of problem before.

davinci
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

I don't see why but running LibEdit as Admin removed the password dialogue. Weird.
It doesn't matter where the files are located, and Cntl C/V works as well as drag/drop.
(File/Open Existing Library works too.)

I have now used the tool to load a default map into Lstudio for editing.
The files save one at a time which is a bit duh!, but maybe I can write a batch.

It opened using your provided lpj (I know nothing about lpj file type)

The mouse commands for world navigation don't seem to work in Lstudio, but luckily there are keyboard shortcuts.

I will try to make some changes and see if I can get them in game.

Great help thanks! <3