Re: Building a map, start of a project, help will be needed

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Mostly I get less errors now because the community is so helpful. <3
Yes, One of the Best Forums on the Net.

And, Probably one of the Few Forums where Nobody ever stays on Topic!

Answer from Earlier - That file is located in the Games \ Text Directory - Called "sowstr.db"

The ( db ) file can be Opened and Edited with Notepad.

That will be the file to Edit when you are putting in new names, and new road names. You can give each road a separate name as long as you give them a different "GrayScale Color" in the "MapName.bmp". Then assign the new name in the "MapName.csv" file.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

@Crikey - If the Ships that were posted by 52ndOx had a Collision Radius applied to them and the Angle of those ships were pointed towards the land, would a retreating unit still ignore that collision?

I'm not sure what the "Angle" thing does, I have never noticed it before.

It is the Red Arrow in the Picture below. I don't have any Maps with a large body of water to test Theory this on.
The attachment 1_2019-08-02.png is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1_2019-08-02.png
1_2019-08-02.png (820.62 KiB) Viewed 688 times
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Answer from Earlier - That file is located in the Games \ Text Directory - Called "sowstr.db"
The ( db ) file can be Opened and Edited with Notepad.
Great, thanks, except I don't seem to have a Text directory either in the main game or the SDK?
If the Ships that were posted by 52ndOx had a Collision Radius applied to them
There might be something in this method, but not with my ships. They are not objects, just 2d terrain sprites which the program rotates to face the camera.
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Great, thanks, except I don't seem to have a Text directory either in the main game or the SDK?
I keep forgetting that you are using the SOWWL and not the SOWGB game, So I am not sure how your game would handle this.
One of the Waterloo Modders will have to answer this one.
There might be something in this method, but not with my ships. They are not objects, just 2d terrain sprites which the program rotates to face the camera.
I see, I thought that you made some 3D Ships.

Well, back to square one!

Also, I scanned over the Power Render Manual located in the LStudio directory, didn't find anything useful to help out with this situation.

davinci
Biondo
Reactions:

Post by Biondo »

If you add new terrain IDS in the csv file you have to create a new folder in your mod folder.

Create Layout/Media/Language folder

In language folder copy LanguageEnglishMod.xml file from Scourge of War Waterloo/Base/Layout/Media/Language folder

Then open the xml file with a text editor and it has to look like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MyGUI>
<Tag name="IDS_NEWTERRAIN">New terrain</Tag>
</MyGUI>
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Thanks Biondo. That might be useful too.
But at this time I don't need to add any new names. I was just asking about the significance of the existing ones.

If a line in map.csv has the same values, but just a different IDS, does it affect the game at all which is used?
In particular, to connect a 25 "move around" to a road, does the road entry have to have a particular range of values, or a particular name, or maybe both?

In other words, what actually defines a road?
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Not giving up on move around, but its a bit of a "battle" :P

Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

In other words, what actually defines a road?
The Game does not know a road from a cornfield, the Programming is Programed to "Seek" out the fastest movement speeds.

A formula that is very Simple, and very Clever !

So, if the Roads are given a positive value ( 0.2, or 0.1 ) and all of the other values are lower than those two values, the Game will move the units on the fastest path.

So, the MapName.csv file can have multiple names that are the same, and also have multiple values assigned to some of them that are identical.

It just can't have the same "GrayScale Color" doing different things, as far as I know, but I have never tried it.

*** Also - Did You know that the Power Render Engine actually supports moving reflective water, it's just Not working as of now, but in the old TC2M Day's it did work.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

WIP

RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Great thread, it's answered a lot of questions, still, I'm stuck at Post #20. I can't get the Packages objects into lstudio to view them, and eventually edit them. I had no problem loading the map.lsl file via libedit and then roaming the terrain with lstudio. I got the Packages .dat files in libedit and copied them to the Map 1 folder, reloaded lstudio but still get errors that say the Packages files can't be found. What am I doing wrong?

To head off another question, my goal here is to scale the map Packages objects smaller. Will this have to be done one object at a time, or will they be able to be scaled en-mass via Excel or a similar app?

I'll try not to interfere with this thread's flow too much. Just some brief help here and then I'll start a new thread discussing a new mod, and it's development.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...