Freeze While Ordering Units To Use Road, Sometimes Crashes With It

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Jagre
Reactions:

Freeze While Ordering Units To Use Road, Sometimes Crashes With It

Post by Jagre »

Before anybody asks, I tested this on my own time by having it as the only mod that was active, and the issue I;m about to describe still happened.

Basically, I used both the New GCM toolbar and Bugles and Flags toolbar (not at the same time) in single player. Both toolbars freeze the game for a second or two when I order my units to use roads. It doesn't happen when I use Leader Use Roads, only with the other units. It seems to be a shorter freeze when the roads order is given to smaller groups of troops, even if by a fraction. I'm not worried about the hardware of my machine being able to take it. I run an Alienware 15 R4 from this year. It's a brand new gaming laptop.

I do, however, use windows 10, and have already tried a reinstall of the game, but to no avail. I use the recommended compatibility settings in the .EXE properties, and run in admin mode. A defrag seemed to bring down the freeze a bit, though, by a couple fractions of a second. The CTDs from the roads button don't seem to be happening anymore, but the freeze, though not necessarily a game breaker, is quite irritating, and a little disconcerting when you're in the middle of a fight and are moving troops around on roads in your interior lines, hoping the god the thing doesn't crash.

Does anybody have a solution to this? Anybody experienced it before?
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Freeze While Ordering Units To Use Road, Sometimes Crashes With It

Post by Davinci »

Does anybody have a solution to this? Anybody experienced it before?
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but this will happen if there are "Road-Path-Errors" on the Map that you are using.

If the Map does have road path errors, they will appear in the SOWWL.log or the SOWGB.log - that is located in the Work Folder!

They are usually located at the bottom of that file.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jagre
Reactions:

Post by Jagre »

I didn't see any path errors in the log, but it makes sense that it would be the case. Makes the game/computer think too hard about a route, can't find one, and then *BOOM*. Crash.

In case you're curious, though, I attached the log of the battle I just recently fought. There was some initial freezes when using the roads command on the toolbar, but when I stopped using them (the fight was on), it obviously wasn't happening anymore.
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Your Drills.csv file - has errors in it!

Notice the lines that start with : Bad Formation etc...

That could cause the problems that you are having.

Also - Why are you Alt-Tabbing - out of the game so many times?

davinci
Jagre
Reactions:

Post by Jagre »

I was writing an after action report during the battle. Alt-tabbed out to write it down so I wouldn't be drawing from memory to write it out. I was setting up recording software, stuff like that. Is that what the Device Lost, Device Reset are?

I'm curious, though. Why would Line Hold cause errors if you're using roads? And I have a drills.csv in NCGMGameplay/Logistics and NGCMGameplay\Move\mods\GCM_Gameplay2\Logistics. Could they be causing an error like that? Somehow being used in concert with each other?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Alt-tabbed out to write it down so I wouldn't be drawing from memory to write it out.
Is that what the Device Lost, Device Reset are?
Understood!

And, Yes, that would list the "Device Lost, Device Reset" in the log file.
I'm curious, though. Why would Line Hold cause errors if you're using roads? And I have a drills.csv in NCGMGameplay/Logistics and NGCMGameplay\Move\mods\GCM_Gameplay2\Logistics. Could they be causing an error like that? Somehow being used in concert with each other?
There are quite a few different ways to cause a "Bad Formation" such as having the wrong number of "Rows" or "Columns", or having the "Numbers" listed in-correctly.

Some of these errors will not cause the "Game to Crash", but there are times when the wrong set of numbers will cause all of the units to March off of the Map.

The "drills.csv" file works with other "csv" files also - such as...gui.csv, unitmodel.csv, and the OOB.

So, any changes might affect something else, but you could try using just "One" drills file and see what happens.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Adding to the above post after looking back at the file that you posted above.

Make sure that the (1) is listed near the (2) since it is not showing up in the Bad Formation.

Basically, the (1) has to be either directly above the (2) - or directly below the (2) - or left \ right of the (2).

Example:
(4-0-2)2
(0-0-2)1

(0-0-2)1
(6-0-2)2

Both of those "Examples" would be "Correct"

You can also look at the SDK \ Logistics \ Drills - for a visual example of how the numbers should look.

Misplacing that (1) will cause all of the other numbers to record an error.

Also - I don't see any numbers starting with 90-100.

Check to make sure that those numbers are in the drills.csv also.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.