Histwar:Napoleon

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Any views on this one folks? It seems to be set at a higher level than SOW, with less granularity, but allowing you to play much larger battles.

I believe it's an upgrade of the predecessor game called Histwar: Les Grognards. I understand this particular game has been out since the end of 2013, and there have been a number of revisions since then. Am wondering if anyone has tried a recent version?

Martin (J)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Martin James - have you done a YouTube Search on this game?

It looks good, seems to have a very small Team with the last update some time ago, but still seems to have some bugs that were not fixed!

The Videos posted will give you a little bit more insight on the game.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Thanks. Yes I have. I found the website a bit impenetrable, but from reviews etc I pretty much came to your conclusions :)

I also posted the same question on the KS forum, and 2 folks who own the newest version of the game came back to me. In essence, they say that another patch is definitely needed, and said that patch has been a long time coming.

It's a pity, because I would rather command an army than a division or a corps. After all, why throw away 3,000 men when you can throw away 20,000?

Martin (J)
Asid
Reactions:

Post by Asid »

Hi Martin

It is basically a one man labour of love. I find it very playable.

The dev has been working on an update for a while. The GUI update is nearly finished. You can see a post about it here

I am in almost daily contact with the dev. Hopefully the update will not be too much longer.

Regards
Last edited by Asid on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add image
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Many thanks Asid.

Good to get some positive news on it. Am still very interested in the game, but will hold off buying until the next patch. From what you say, that shouldn't be too long.

Martin (J)
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

I just can't get behind this game.

You click on a brigade or a division and zoom in and there are 50 sprites there. Not to mention, there seems to be no control whatsoever of any of the units.

I will stick to Scourge of War......and hopefully the new game that they are going to come out with.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Histwar:Napoleon

Post by con20or »

The recent posts prompted me to get this - although is not cheap even for the basic version. I liked the fact that it is a work in progress with years of updates ahead though so im happy to support it - a meal out in a restaurant would cost as much.. Although having said that I then found out there is an Austerlitz version greenlit on Steam so maybe it wont get years of updates at all!

I like it so far - is a good looking game but am not at all understanding how to play it and the manual is very light and with obvious translation problems. Tutorials suffer from that as well - so you arent sure what a term is referring to.

One of the things it seems to be missing is way to play at some of the lower levels of command or with a smaller force to learn the ropes, and the sandbox editor is very confusing in relation to size of forces, maps, size of maps, etc. The manual also states that I can play as a subordinate but doesn't explain how - or how I would get my orders in this case.

I like the Fog of War settings though - its got very high realism - you can send your Aide de Camps to your corps commanders for updates - but i dont think they ride off like couriers in HITS in NSD, which i prefer.

Anyway - a journey of discovery for me for now.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Are you still playing this, Connor? Do you feel more on top of it yet?

Can you give us an update re the next version please, Asid?

Martin (J)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

No Martin, unfortunately..

Certainly looks promising - beautiful game, but its just nowhere near SOW HITS, although I know nothing is and I also know I have a bias...

But as Ex-SOW QA I will give the same feedback I would give to the guys (without the hassle of documenting bugs or getting saved games or upsetting them...)

I found the sandbox setup very limited and too confusing, and during the few times playing limited commander radius, once I got close to the action my army commander unit got locked into a spiral running in loops around the map and I could not get him out of it. Moving between menus or minimising is horrendous - you think the PC is frozen, the UI tooltips are too hard to read.

However - the Dev is updating continuously.

But added to basic stuff like difficulty jumping around the battlefield, too much info in multi level approach - sprite, 2D, 3D - plus easy to get lost in the wrong level of detail - i lost interest. I will go back though.

For me as a player -a starting point would be some gratuitously high sprite ratio, smaller battles to learn the ropes without the tutorials - and to illustrate my point about lack of instruction in the manual - those battles might already be there but I just don't know, and cant find them. You can mix and match weather, battlefield, OOB, time etc - but cant see what OOB details are - or pick a lower hierarchy unit (you can actually - but no info in manual on how - see my earlier post), so its pointless.

For the record - despite me working for SOW in the past, and total confusion, plus this game being almost €50 - I still think its worth it if as it seems the Dev is going to keep improving it. I'm happy to support small companies and a single dinner out costs more - and you'd get longer out of this.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Belated thanks, Connor.

This was very helpful and gives me a much better idea about the game and its current limitations.

Like you, I think that small companies are worth supporting, and will almost certainly buy it. But think I will wait for the patch first, given that it's been pending for so long.

Martin (J)