Pea Ridge Redux - wip

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Crikey
Reactions:

Pea Ridge Redux - wip

Post by Crikey »

Have been experimenting with new ground textures, buildings and a quick brush up of the packed trees etc. It'll work with Reb's existing pack when done.

Screenies attached.

This one is for JB, who made the original and many other great maps. RIP. :(
Attachments
Elk8.jpg
Elk8.jpg (287.58 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk6.jpg
Elk6.jpg (361.54 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk5.jpg
Elk5.jpg (293.9 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk4.jpg
Elk4.jpg (234.37 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk3.jpg
Elk3.jpg (246.06 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk2.jpg
Elk2.jpg (459.91 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Asid
Reactions:

Re: Pea Ridge Redux - wip

Post by Asid »

Great work.

Thank you Crikey
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Stunning looking grabs Crikey!

David(jolly)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Crikey - Great Looking Cold Map!

Question - have you tried experimenting with the adding some fires around the field?

Would be nice if you could figure out a way of having smoke come out of the chimney.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Looks very good Crickey

:) :)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks all

D - I have considered adding chimney smoke in the past, but decided it would involve too much messing around to get the exact co-ordinates to line up with the stack. ;)

Some more screenies, showing off some of Pom's recent ACW sprites and RB's bespoke end screen.
Attachments
Elk13.jpg
Elk13.jpg (177.45 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk12.jpg
Elk12.jpg (271.85 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk11.jpg
Elk11.jpg (276.05 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk10.jpg
Elk10.jpg (371.29 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Elk9.jpg
Elk9.jpg (332.83 KiB) Viewed 305 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Very nice work Crikey, I know John would be pleased.

Since you're upgrading this map, would it be possible to correct a road placement? I'm referring to the Ford Road as seen on this attachment. If you compare maps, the Ford Road on John's map is approximately 500 yards too far south placing it just in front of the Foster House. To compensate for this error I scripted McIntoch's troops entering along a fence line moving east where there is no road, so as to keep their distance from the Union guns at the Foster Farm historically accurate. You can see by the CSA beginning troop placements on the Leetown scenarios exactly where I'm requesting the Ford Road to be re-situated, coinciding with the attachment along the fence line which appears to be the same on both maps. Probably no big deal if this is a complicated road change, as no one has ever mentioned this issue, but it does look odd that the Rebs aren't road marching, and it's definitely not historically accurate.

The attachment pea-ridge-leetown-march-1.jpg is no longer available

You're right in blowing off the 'smoke from chimneys' suggestion. Nice idea but it won't work with 2D smoke because even when you find the right placement coordinates the smoke will displace away from the chimney with different viewing angles, looking stupid. I discovered this issue as I designed new fire and smoke variances with Chancellorsville Extras. If someone can design 3D smoke sprites, lots of frames representing all angles, then it'll work.
Attachments
pea-ridge-leetown-march-1.jpg
pea-ridge-leetown-march-1.jpg (371.13 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks Reb.

Funnily enough, I kept rechecking for a road on the bmp when I started that scenario. Thought I'd covered it over. I'll insert it.

B)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

You're right in blowing off the 'smoke from chimneys' suggestion. Nice idea but it won't work with 2D smoke because even when you find the right placement coordinates the smoke will displace away from the chimney with different viewing angles, looking stupid.
I didn't try it with a house since I removed all of them when expanding the Map.

But, I'm not seeing the Smoke changing different viewing angles when moving the camera.

But, it might if it was a house under it, instead of General Pickett!
The attachment 1_2018-10-25.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1_2018-10-25.jpg
1_2018-10-25.jpg (565.97 KiB) Viewed 305 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Your focus was probably on Pickett's flag, which is 2D, so the flag and the smoke will align with varying angles. Remove the flag and see if the smoke stays above Pickett's head when changing viewing angles. I'll stand corrected if it does.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...