How to add fortifications to a stock map

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
noonanda
Reactions:

How to add fortifications to a stock map

Post by noonanda »

Does anyone know what I would need to do? I am developing a Historical what if scenario during the Chancellorsville battle, and I need to add some Earthworks or fortifications to a section. I have not editted a map before so any pointers would be great.

As a side note, can someone develop a map for the Spotsylvania courthouse battle? Some of the other battles can be simulated with random maps, but this one really cant, especially when you talk about the Muleshoe Salient.

The person that does this, well I will be grateful, and as a reward for the hard work will get a token of my thanks, a Civil war Minnie bullet I dug on the eastern side of the Chancellorsville battlefield on private property. I am an amateur relic hunter/ metal detectorist and have many relics I have found related to the Chancellorsville battle.
Last edited by noonanda on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Relic Hunter, History Nut, Retired US Marine
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: How to add fortifications to a stock map

Post by Davinci »

Does anyone know what I would need to do? I am developing a Historical what if scenario during the Chancellorsville battle, and I need to add some Earthworks or fortifications to a section. I have not editted a map before so any pointers would be great.
First, you will need to download the SDK.

Once that is done, look in the Maps Folder for a file called "GBurg.csv"

Open it, scroll down until you see "Terrain Table Sounds"

Loc X - loc Z - Sprite - GFX_Breastworks_3

This is about the best that I can do to show you and Example of how it was done on the Gettysburg Map.

Basically, you are going to assign the "Breastworks" to different coordinates consisting of location X and location Z.

Now, without using the Power-Render-Tools - which is used to create the Maps, how you are going to find the correct coordinates on the Map is beyond Me.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
noonanda
Reactions:

Post by noonanda »

Would using a unit to determine locations based on the startlocs file work, similar to how you determine grids for victory locations?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Would using a unit to determine locations based on the startlocs file work, similar to how you determine grids for victory locations?
YES.....

I didn't think of that!

Good Thinking!

davinci
noonanda
Reactions:

Post by noonanda »

Did not work, which version of power render would I need to mod the map? would the 5.09 that is linked in the TC2M forum work?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Did not work.

What didn't work?

Try, reversing the numbers - or to put that another way, take the value in "X" and assign it to "Z" and place the value in "Z" and assign it to "X".

I think that the Game reverses the numbers, Not Sure!
Which version of power render would I need to mod the map? would the 5.09 that is linked in the TC2M forum work?
Negative - that Version will not work with the newer SOWGB.

The Map-Making-Tools - were released a while back, they are Posted somewhere on the Forum!

davinci
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Dis-Regard the above Post pertaining about reversing the Numbers.

I used the L-Key to get the coordinates, used those coordinates and applied them to the Mapname.csv

Assigned - the GFX_Breastworks_3 - Started the Game and the breastworks appeared!

So, you are doing something Wrong!

davinci