New GCM

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: New GCM

Post by exp101 »

Welcome, Chee. Sorry, but the NGCM does not support the old Single Player Campaign battles. It is designed solely for MP. The old Single Player system is gone, I'm afraid.

I think the direction objectives you mentioned are simply the corners of the battlefield. When a host creates an NGCM battle to play, he may customize the size of the Random Map (usually to make it smaller when there are fewer players). The corner icons look like objectives but they are not -- simply, the corners of the map to be played.

If you are playing with Windows 10 in NGCM, follow the directions on the website's Help/Install menus. It is best to use ONLY the NGCM mods and disable all others. Also, DO NOT install the optional mods (one or more of these will cause the game to crash when using Windows 10).
Mark
Reactions:

Post by Mark »

I have to bump this thread; we are now getting 15+ individuals for battles. I believe we have matched or almost broken the old GCM record. We have gotten 20 players I believe.

Game is still going strong as games with GOOD multiplayer continue to do.

Check it out!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I have to bump this thread; we are now getting 15+ individuals for battles. I believe we have matched or almost broken the old GCM record. We have gotten 20 players I believe.

Game is still going strong as games with GOOD multiplayer continue to do.

Check it out!
Is this with all players running Win 10, or a mix? Also, there was an earlier report by MarkT that there were issues with MP when running Win 10 Professional and Win 10 Home together. Any issues with that setup?

Thanks for the Report! Great to see the GCM group still "going strong", even without their namesake leader.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

We have a mix of W10 (all versions) and W7 machines and it runs fine. The diagnostics Swinder ran on our system had to do with 1 or maybe 2 mods that caused W10 machines to crash. The mods in question are Sounds and Flags -- so we just make sure none of our W10 players don't have these activated.
Last edited by exp101 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Reactions:

Post by Mark »

For the record we have played a game with 22 players besting the old GCM records. We have new players who are just buying the game.

An important consideration for the Norbsoft team: A good multiplayer game will live a long, long time and will attract more attention (and customers).

Multiplayer is the single most important aspect for any game. Scourge of war Gettysburg is a good multiplayer game. (interface and technical issues mostly hold it back a bit, but hell everyone, even fortnite, has those).

Come join the fun!
Last edited by Mark on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Swinder has now made NGCM Random Map packs 3 (Maps 910 - 1034) & 4 (Maps 1036 - 1159) available for download. These should be downloaded and unzipped/extracted to SoWGB's mods folder just like our other mods. And don't forget to activate them in game as well. ;-)

This brings the number of maps hosts may choose from to well over 500!
Last edited by exp101 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Looked you up on Facebook and cannot locate your page ......

regards

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Our FB page is only available by invitation. If you PM me with the email address you use for FB, I'd be happy to shoot you an invite.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Introducing NGCM's new Supply Train Scenario Type! Last night Swinder deployed the latest game format for our battles. "Supply Train" joins Encounter (which we play most of the time) and Attack/Defend to give hosts a wide range of battle setups for our games. Here's the essence of Supply Train:
1) 15 minutes into the battle a supply train major victory objective spawns for each side. Placement of this vp depends on the settings chosen by the host and includes these possibilities
-Where the Army commanders spawn;
-Where each side's rear division spawns;
-Somewhere within the rectangle that surrounds all divisions;
-Somewhere within the rectangle that surrounds the army's middle & rear divisions;
-Somewhere within the quadrant of the army's spawn.
2) The point value of the supply train vp may be set from fairly low to extremely high (in effect, making capture of it determinative of the battle outcome). The host may even check a box to end the battle immediately upon capture of the Supply Train vp;
3) Capture of the Supply Train vp is hard-coded to require at least 50 men and an officer for 1 minute. In practice, it appears these need to be within about 50 yards of the vp to start the count-down (click on the capturing officer to view the time);
4) Once the capture criteria are met, the points are awarded and the vp disappears from the map;
5) There may be multiple supply train vp's in a game for each side. Each appears 15 minutes in and disappears once captured;
6) Regular vp's (i.e., that appear throughout the game or with delayed spawn) may also be included in combination with supply train vps.

It's easy to see how NGCM battle format options are opened up almost exponentially with the addition of the new Supply Train scenario type. Going forward, players will need to consider anew their strategies and tactics depending on the format. This takes our "Glorieta" games to a different level as well by building supply base considerations into each battle the supply train option is used, while maintaining the essence of our traditional Encounter battles!
States
Reactions:

Post by States »

I'm glad to see NGCM going strong. Had several other priorities, but I'll be back soon. TY to everyone who keeps this game alive.