New GCM

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: New GCM

Post by exp101 »

From the FB post:
Today's first test battle went well (except when Jonah's flank march cold-cocked the Yanks from behind). After one restart (the balancer spat out some ridiculously small divisions and armies in the first one), we were off and playing with 9 humanoids. Game ran smoothly.
There were a few takeaways that I've reported back to Swinder e.g., some mysterious happenings with TC'd regiments suddenly deciding to follow brigadiers' orders. Soldier remembered that Kevin, famed for the Kriegspiel SoW mods, has a pretty sweet replay system that perhaps is adaptable to NGCM? Nobody played using W10 but I'm hoping JimCrazy8 might be able to join the next battle with his W10 machine and test that aspect out. I'm busy Thursday night, but might be able to put up another test game on Friday.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

NGCM Test Battle #2 on Friday at our usual time (5:15p Eastern). Join us on TeamSpeak a few minutes early to play! If you didn't play in the first one, see the list of mods you'll need and the download links for them in earlier posts above.
Last edited by exp101 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Good NGCM battle today. After one false start, JimCraz8 made it through to the end with his W10 machine. Supply wagons and couriers made their debut and seemed to work fine. Also, I didn't notice, nor did anyone mention the first game phenomenon of TC'd regiments occasionally following their brigadiers' orders. Will be out of town Sat & Sun, but hoping to play one on Monday. Be there!
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

More NGCM progress. Swinder has made it possible to enter some individual player preferences into our testing. I have to do the data entry for now, but that's not lots of work.

Before Monday's game, if you would send me the maximum number of regiments and guns you're comfortable commanding, I'll try to get them entered. One limitation: for testing purposes divisions may, for now, have no more than 6 guns. So, in other words, let me know if you want less than 6 guns.

Also, I now can adjust player division names. Although I know some of the last names, I really need both a first and last name for your division commanders. You may also have different names for your U.S. and C.S. divisions. Again, let me know before Monday's battle and I'll attempt to get them entered.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Planning on going to daily NGCM battles as time and schedule permits.The more testing the better! If I'm going to miss a day, I'll post it here. Otherwise, be there tomorrow and thereafter at the usual time!
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

The old GCM TeamSpeak site will be going away soon so we're switching to Discord for in-game communications and possibly game scheduling information. Join us by installing the Discord program:
https://discordapp.com/download

..and using this invitation to join our SoWGB group:
https://discord.gg/rYst46p.
Last edited by exp101 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Beginning with Friday's battle, we'll be using Discord instead of Teamspeak.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

No NGCM battle today, but screen shots of player pages for the new website are up for viewing at our Facebook site. If you're not yet a member, message me with your FB email address and I'll send you an invitation.

Below is the latest FB post. Numbered items refer to screen shots in the post.
No NGCM today, but here's something even better: Screen shots of the player pages in the new website. At this point, we're thinking this may be up and running as soon as next weekend!
1) Player preferences. Set your personal division sizes and name your division C.O.'s
2) Battle generator. Host selects players, map & map size, and other battle criteria. A new feature is ability to select # of regiments per brigade and # of brigades per division in random battles. In campaign battles, this will be controlled by player preferences (see 3 below)
3) Player divisions page. Players manipulate their personal divisions here. In this example, I have added 3 new CS regiments and 2 brigade C.O.'s (Farmer & White) from the pool to my division. The top 2 regiments are, as yet, unassigned to a brigade. 54th GA has been assigned to White's Bde. Players will be able to freely move/transfer regiments and guns between brigades and to "unassigned", and add bde commanders (up to X number). Unassigned units will not be brought into battles but may receive replacements* (see note below player-turns below)
4) Regiments list. The list of 2000+ historical regiments in the pool
5) Artillery list. The list of 2000 historical guns in the pool (Thanks MacLeod!!)
*Note about division manipulation and player turns: We're now thinking that there will be some limited opportunity for players to "run turns" on their divisions (perhaps 1 per day?), but no global turns. When a player runs a turn, depleted regiments (both assigned and unassigned) will have some chance to add replacements. Significant replacements added to a regiment will reduce its experience level. So, players will need to decide when to nurture old regiments and when to bring in new blood from the pool. New regiments recruited from the pool will come in with good numbers (e.g., 300-500 men?) but low experience (0-2?). Regiments gain experience by being assigned to brigades that actually go into battle. Regiments captured in battle are lost to the player and removed to the pool where they are then refreshed and become eligible for later recruitment. Players will be limited in the number of regiments they can have in their divisions, so those who choose to bring very large divisions to battles will also see them depleted more quickly.
Also, to ensure we don't run out of historical formations, players who have been inactive for a period (say, a couple of months), will have all their regiments and guns stripped and returned to the pool.
Last edited by exp101 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

NGCM battle today at the regular time. Trying to get as much testing done as possible before rolling out the new website with campaign divisions perhaps next weekend. Swinder's currently working on criteria for returning some portion of the wounded and missing to regiments of the victorious and vanquished and recording battles for the website. We're not currently contemplating a ranking system ala old GCM. However, consistently winning players will tend to have better, more experienced regiments and guns, since they won't be depleted as quickly or captured and returned to the pool as often.
As mentioned, regiments captured in battle will be returned to the pool. We're thinking that individual guns will not have casualties carried over from battle to battle, but will be removed to the pool when either routed or captured.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Replay Viewer for NGCM: While we don't have Garnier's snazzy replay system any more, we do have access to another enhanced replay viewer that should be easy for everyone to use. It comes courtesy of Kevin Komisarcik, author of the acclaimed Kriegspiel Waterloo HITS mods. I have modified Kevin's system so it will handle replays for the 225 latest GCM Large Random maps. Here's how it works:
1) download "Replay Viewer NGCM" at [url=http://]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p78vs5e1kax1 ... swSXa?dl=0[/url]
2) Unzip this download to the C:\Matrix Games\Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work folder;
3) Go into the folder and scroll down until you find the "ReplayViewer.exe" file. Right-click it, choose "Create shortcut", and move the new shortcut to your Desktop or anywhere it will be quick and easy to find;
4) At the end of an NGCM battle, select "Download Replay";
5) To view the replay, open up "ReplayViewer.exe" (from the shortcut); choose/open the battle replay file just downloaded (likely the latest .rep file) in your C:\Matrix Games\Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work\Saved Games\Replay folder (don't worry. It will remember this path for future replays!)

Kevin has this advice for running his replay viewer: "The up and down arrow keys move the battle forward and backwards. Holding down the Alt key at the same time speeds up the replay. Pressing the spacebar lets the battle run forward automatically from start to finish. Press the 'X' key to stop it in mid-battle. These usage instructions can be accessed from the Help item on the menu bar."