SOW: Waterloo Updated to V1.03

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Asid
Reactions:

Post by Asid »

Notes here

Great news :)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
voltigeur
Reactions:

Re: SOW: Waterloo Updated to V1.03

Post by voltigeur »

excellent!

Just reading the changes, the main exe has been bumped to v1.0106, which indicates a very small change from the previous exe. I assume there may have been a change so that MP games are easier to restart?

Otherwise, I assume all other changes are AI were made directly by Davide (certainly, he wrote the english AI change notes!) :laugh:

Looking forward to playing and seeing these AI changes in action.

Meanwhile - what are the other Norbsoft team members up to??

edit: ah.. just read the NSD Talk forum. I think we were lucky to get this patch! :)

cheers
Last edited by voltigeur on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Otherwise, I assume all other changes are AI were made directly by Davide (certainly, he wrote the english AI change notes!)
Lets call it like it is, the English is terrible. Im not trying to disrespect someone whos English isn't their first language, but the patch notes should absolutely have been written by someone who has good English.

On top of the choppy English, many of the patch notes are downright vague. Many of them need more clarification.

Such as:

"Improved logic of cavalry blocked frontally by friends (applied the same logic currently used by infantry)"

How was it improved? What will cavalry do now when friendly units are interposed between them and the enemy? While you're at it you might as well explain the logic used by infantry as well.

"The movement to the back of batteries will be no more stopped if the enemy is too near"

This needs better English. Who's movement? Batteries trying to move to the rear? Or friendly units trying to move to the rear of the batteries? Since friendly units could already do this Im assuming this is referring to artillery batteries trying to move to the rear, however, I shouldn't have to assume anything reading patch notes, it should be clearly explained and not vague and left to guesswork.

"The movement of unlimbered guns at medium\long distance from the enemy is easier"

Easier how? And for who? The player or the AI? If for the player then what could really make it easier than it is now? The only thing I can think of would be just making the guns move faster while unlimbered. And if so you should have used the word "faster" instead of "easier". Easier is vague. If the AI then you should explain how the AI will handle movement of these unlimbered guns at med/long ranges now, compared to before. The way its written now doesn't explain anything.

"Cavalry in Raid stance will not try to charge squares anymore"

What is "Raid Stance"? There is no raid stance. Raid is a special function, not a stance. Cavalry officers have the same stances as every other officer(None, Hold to the last, Hold, Defend, Probe, Attack, and All out attack)
Beyond the bad wording, was cavalry charging squares ever a real problem? In 3 years of playing the game I can count on one hand the amount of times Ive seen AI controlled cavalry try to charge a square. It like hardly ever happens. Although, admittedly Ive never really sent cavalry out on raids.

"Added the special stance Screen for the infantry battalions (specific AI routine different from that one of cavalry)"

I have no idea what this means. You cannot set stances for infantry battalions. Stances are an officer command, not a combat unit command. While the officers stances affect how the combat units under them behave, you cannot set stances for individual battalions. Furthermore, I see no difference between an infantry commanders stances and a cavalry commanders stances. They both have the same 7 stances(mentioned above). So this is either poorly written, or wrong, or it needs a lot more explanation as to what you are talking about.

"Pathing: fire and enemy tiles will be no more avoided during the path calculation by part of fighting units."

This just needs to be written in better English. Clearly it has something to do with how units calculate their movement pathing in regards to enemy fire and position. Some better explanation wouldn't hurt either about how the new calculations work.

"Fixed CUnit:Moving: it gaves true if the unit was inside a fort, now return false"

Terrible English but this one I figured out. The bug where units would remain in a moving state while occupying a fort was one of the most irritating bugs in the game. Really glad you guys fixed this one.

"Corrected SplitBrig command"

How? And are you referring to "Split Battalion"? What is Splitbrig? Ive never split a brigade in this game.

"Added variables for mygui layout: numerical version of artyminrange and artymaxrange:# at place of $ for use the numerical version"

Computer speak. Try and remember not all of us are programmers. I have no idea what this means or what # or $ has to do with it.

"Command Aattach and Adetach now works properly"

How was it not working properly? Ive never had a problem detaching or attaching units or officers from superior commanders. In fact its one of the most intuitive and easy to use commands in the game. By all means, explain how it wasn't working.

"New functions for the AI library: HGround, UnitAIType, UsingRoad, SetForceTimer, GetForceTimer"

More computer speak. Please explain what these new functions do, specifically "Setforcetimer" and "getforcetimer"

"Split units (skirmishers) gives no more support bonus"

A nerf to skirmishers. You'll get no argument from me that they needed a nerf. They are stupid powerful and super abusable. This is a pretty measured nerf and an interesting take on it. By no means a crippling nerf, skirmishers will still be very strong. But you'll have to watch them closer when sending them to far out ahead of the main lines.

"Added command artyfirecavalry for have artillery to aim only to cavalry units -> new icon created"

Very cool addition.
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand the release notes. :laugh: :laugh:
Leicestershire
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand the release notes. :laugh: :laugh:
I did my best to try and decipher them in my latest video, but honestly, for a lot of it Im just shooting in the dark, or making educated guesses. We really need someone with better English to give a more detailed explanation.
Hopefully maybe Reb or Little Powell. Ive never had a problem understanding them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEOvGDnHkY
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Otherwise, I assume all other changes are AI were made directly by Davide (certainly, he wrote the english AI change notes!)
Lets call it like it is, the English is terrible. Im not trying to disrespect someone whos English isn't their first language, but the patch notes should absolutely have been written by someone who has good English.

On top of the choppy English, many of the patch notes are downright vague. Many of them need more clarification.

Such as:

"Improved logic of cavalry blocked frontally by friends (applied the same logic currently used by infantry)"

How was it improved? What will cavalry do now when friendly units are interposed between them and the enemy? While you're at it you might as well explain the logic used by infantry as well.

"The movement to the back of batteries will be no more stopped if the enemy is too near"

This needs better English. Who's movement? Batteries trying to move to the rear? Or friendly units trying to move to the rear of the batteries? Since friendly units could already do this Im assuming this is referring to artillery batteries trying to move to the rear, however, I shouldn't have to assume anything reading patch notes, it should be clearly explained and not vague and left to guesswork.

"The movement of unlimbered guns at medium\long distance from the enemy is easier"

Easier how? And for who? The player or the AI? If for the player then what could really make it easier than it is now? The only thing I can think of would be just making the guns move faster while unlimbered. And if so you should have used the word "faster" instead of "easier". Easier is vague. If the AI then you should explain how the AI will handle movement of these unlimbered guns at med/long ranges now, compared to before. The way its written now doesn't explain anything.

What is "Raid Stance"? There is no raid stance. Raid is a special function, not a stance. Cavalry officers have the same stances as every other officer(None, Hold to the last, Hold, Defend, Probe, Attack, and All out attack)
Beyond the bad wording, was cavalry charging squares ever a real problem? In 3 years of playing the game I can count on one hand the amount of times Ive seen AI controlled cavalry try to charge a square. It like hardly ever happens. Although, admittedly Ive never really sent cavalry out on raids.

"Added the special stance Screen for the infantry battalions (specific AI routine different from that one of cavalry)"

I have no idea what this means. You cannot set stances for infantry battalions. Stances are an officer command, not a combat unit command. While the officers stances affect how the combat units under them behave, you cannot set stances for individual battalions. Furthermore, I see no difference between an infantry commanders stances and a cavalry commanders stances. They both have the same 7 stances(mentioned above). So this is either poorly written, or wrong, or it needs a lot more explanation as to what you are talking about.

"Pathing: fire and enemy tiles will be no more avoided during the path calculation by part of fighting units."

This just needs to be written in better English. Clearly it has something to do with how units calculate their movement pathing in regards to enemy fire and position. Some better explanation wouldn't hurt either about how the new calculations work.

"Fixed CUnit:Moving: it gaves true if the unit was inside a fort, now return false"

Terrible English but this one I figured out. The bug where units would remain in a moving state while occupying a fort was one of the most irritating bugs in the game. Really glad you guys fixed this one.

How? And are you referring to "Split Battalion"? What is Splitbrig? Ive never split a brigade in this game.

"Added variables for mygui layout: numerical version of artyminrange and artymaxrange:# at place of $ for use the numerical version"

Computer speak. Try and remember not all of us are programmers. I have no idea what this means or what # or $ has to do with it.

How was it not working properly? Ive never had a problem detaching or attaching units or officers from superior commanders. In fact its one of the most intuitive and easy to use commands in the game. By all means, explain how it wasn't working.

"New functions for the AI library: HGround, UnitAIType, UsingRoad, SetForceTimer, GetForceTimer"

More computer speak. Please explain what these new functions do, specifically "Setforcetimer" and "getforcetimer"

A nerf to skirmishers. You'll get no argument from me that they needed a nerf. They are stupid powerful and super abusable. This is a pretty measured nerf and an interesting take on it. By no means a crippling nerf, skirmishers will still be very strong. But you'll have to watch them closer when sending them to far out ahead of the main lines.

"Added command artyfirecavalry for have artillery to aim only to cavalry units -> new icon created"

Very cool addition.

Here here. I agree, absolutely horrendous English here.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Raid is a stance, just not within the Orders' stance listings or functionality because it's a player controlled function only, whereas the AI can't and doesn't initiate it.
Didn't know this had the "attacking squares" issue, good Davide found it and fixed it. My bad for not testing the Raid stance more thoroughly once it was finally integrated.

Screen is in the same stance listing as Raid, with different functionality. Frankly I never quite figured out what screen does, but if Davide says it works now also as an infantry command, I trust it's functioning properly. And, I'll need to add it to the Grog Toolbar.

You'll find SplitBrig on the Brigade level Grog Toolbar. When functioning properly it will split a brigade in half (or 1-2 or 2-3 etc. btns) and add another officer with a poor rating to command the split off battalions. Please check that this function now works properly, it appears that I have parts of the patch but not all because this doesn't work properly for me at present. When I split the brigade now all I get is an extra officer. This was a bug I submitted...Is it fixed?

This is another bug I submitted, Aattach wasn't working period. When working properly Aattach attaches all detached units under the unit selected. Since it was totally kaput I didn't include it on the Grog Toolbar. So, to test if it works would someone please assign the command Aattach to the keyboard as a temporary test and test it out. In game simply detach two or more units under an officer, then hit the Aattach assigned key and check if the subordinates are then attached. Please report results to verify that Aattach is now functional.

All I can verify here is that UnitAIType works and is responsible for the BIG Grog Toolbar upgrade that eliminated the tabs necessary for differentiating inf, cav and art.

In the meantime I need to figure out how to update my WL version. Had my wings clipped a while back and will now have to learn to patch like a mortal.
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Ahhh. So much better. Thank you Reb for all the clarifications. Now I have alot of things to test out and a much better idea of where to start.
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

>"Improved logic of cavalry blocked frontally by friends (applied the same logic currently used by infantry)"

it means that I used the same code logic I used for infantry in the AI, before was different, less strict for cavalry

>"The movement to the back of batteries will be no more stopped if the enemy is too near"

In the AI previously the batteries no-TCed halted the ordered movements when the enemy was very near, now the movement is not halted if done on the opposite direction respect the enemy location.

>"The movement of unlimbered guns at medium\long distance from the enemy is easier"

Always in the AI: previously the movements of unlimbered guns is halted if the enemy is at very short range or they receive losses also if at long distance

There’s a case when squadrons in raid stance following their target, collided in continous way in squares done by no-target battalions only because they’re along the attacking path.

Screen is a stance for cavalry used for keep the screening unit between the enemy and me; I did a similar code for infantry battalions.

Fire tiles were considered like unpassable zone, so when a path is generated they’re avoided creating sometimes turning or lateral movements.

Randy explained it; strange Randy, I tested it; Biondo tried it this morning; of course now works also the command joinbrig (the opposite of splitbrig)

Is not a question of programming , if you played with the layout modding you know you have these variables; the $artymaxrange is used for design the bar of artillery range # artymaxrange now gives you the number of the same value.

Randy explained it.

They will be explained in the library of functions as addendum of SDK: hground gives the height of map ground in a specific point.
Unitaitype return the AI type of a unit (infantry,cavalry,artillery), the same value you find the column type of file unittype.csv.
Usingroad gives you true if the unit is using road march
SetForceTimer, GetForceTimer , can be used in the campaign AI for storing and have back a Time value.

Split units gave support bonus to own proper units, so a unit with a split company around receive the same bonus of a unit with the support of another 250 men battalion around. Two split companies gave the same bonus like have two battalions around. Now only complete battalions give support bonus
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Sounds brilliant - thanks Mitra, can't wait to try the new patch and really appreciate your and the teams hard work.