changing camera controls to old style possible?

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
WBGeneral
Reactions:

changing camera controls to old style possible?

Post by WBGeneral »

Hi All.

Please forgive me for asking if this has already been brought up; a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I am used to the camera controls from the ACW games and have just come in to Waterloo. Last night at a critical moment, I accidentally started moving troops in battle because my muscle memory from the ACW games had me using right mouse button to move the camera. Additionally, the middle button is kind of awkward for me when I'm constantly moving the camera.

Is there a csv or ini file setting, mod, etc, that will allow me to configure it like the old style camera controls (double-click move, rmb camera control), or is this hard-coded into the game? Assuming it is hard-coded for Waterloo, providing such configuration options in future products would be a great addition.

Thanks.
Hook
Reactions:

Re: changing camera controls to old style possible?

Post by Hook »

I don't believe there is any way to reset the controls to turn off using the right mouse button to order a destination, but there are other ways to move the camera. Not everyone likes using the middle mouse button.

If you first move the mouse down to the lower part of the screen where the controls and status are displayed, then you can use the right mouse button to move the camera. You can also move the camera by holding down the left control key which is how I do it.

It may be possible to keep a unit from moving when you have accidentally clicked the right mouse button by moving the mouse either to the sky or to the lower part of the screen, thus giving it an invalid destination. Experiment to see what works.

This is a quick answer to get you going, and maybe someone else can give a more complete one.

Hook
Last edited by Hook on Tue May 01, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
WBGeneral
Reactions:

Post by WBGeneral »

Thanks for the response, Hook.

I just tried both of the methods you mentioned, and they worked out great. I was not aware the interface had that capability. The right-click for movement is fine with me. :)

Thanks.
Hook
Reactions:

Post by Hook »

Here's the complete explanation:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/96-dis ... oolbar-pan

Hook
WBGeneral
Reactions:

Post by WBGeneral »

Glad to read I wasn't the only one who would be affected when jumping back and forth between the games. Also, felt like a total goon last night when I saw the toolbar rotate mentioned in the tutorial. :)