Stock Uniform Replacement

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Pom
Reactions:

Stock Uniform Replacement

Post by Pom »

Hi all.

This is a mod that replaces the stock ACW sprites for new ones.

Most of the sprites were made for mods by Martin James, Mark.T and Crikey. These mods are nearing a release date, so watch out for them.
They have a lot more content than this one which is purely visuals, there are no gameplay improvements. This obviously won't change the sprites on any oob that has non stock sprites.

There are some horse holders added, but for those who don't want them, there is a replacement unitglobal csv in a folder within the Logistics folder which will remove them.

You will see in the sandbox menu, an oob named OOB_SB_00_Uniform Test, this will give you an overview of the sprites in the mod.

The mod is very memory hungry, so you may get some ctd's when loading battles. Reloading the game should clear this, sorry. Also if you use Bugles & Flags, this will need to sit below the mod in the modifications menu.

If anyone wishes to use any of the sprites, or change the mod around and release their own version, then that's fine.

This mod was put together by Mark.T for me so my thanks to him for this and his help with all things SOWGB. My thanks also to Martin James and Crikey who kept me busy over the summer.

Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x9v39ff60b4w ... t.zip?dl=0

Screens
http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/Pom127/slideshow/ACW

Pom.

EDIT... I've added a link to the latest version of the mod which has drummers and fifers added. To activate these there is a unitglobal csv in a folder in the logistics folder called "Fife/Drum". Rename this this to "unitglobal" and add into the logistics folder. Remember to keep a copy of the original unitglobal file.

Mark.T. had the excellent idea to add them in.
Last edited by Pom on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asid
Reactions:

Re: Stock Uniform Replacement

Post by Asid »

Thank you Pom.

Regards
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Looking great. Love the beards!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Terrific mod, Pom & Mark.

Everyone should try this. It's a painless way to make battles look better.

Martin (J)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Downloading it Now!

Thanks to Everyone involved!

Where is "Cleaburn" - He has been asking for these New Uniforms!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Pom
Reactions:

Post by Pom »

Thanks to you all.

Pom.
Last edited by Pom on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

@ " Martin James \ Pom "

Martin James - You asked "Reb" about the Memory Allotment in another post, so I posted this here since it pertains to this Mod.

If I remember correctly when the SOWGB game first came out, someone posted something about allocating more memory to the game and "Norb" responded to it, basically saying Thanks for the information.

Something to do with the way that the Game is Coded pertaining to Windows!

There was never any follow up information that I remember reading about on the forums.

The new uniforms are using approximately "3.34 GB" along with the Map that I am using and I have ( 12GB ) of memory installed.

Question - How far into the Game did You experience a crash when you were testing the uniforms?

Question - How much Memory do you have Installed?

Thanks,

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

@ Pom - First - Great Addition with the Mod, the New Uniforms really add a lot of variety to the game.

Question - Why did you decide to place the units in a sort of "frozen - state" when in battle?

The units should have some type of animation such as running the rod down the barrel like the default units do during battle.

I tried to alter the "csv" files but that didn't work out too well.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

@ " Martin James \ Pom "

Question - How far into the Game did You experience a crash when you were testing the uniforms?

Question - How much Memory do you have Installed?

Thanks,

davinci
Hi Davinci. Thanks for your help.

1. When loading-up a sandbox OOB or scenario. Crash happens before you get into the game. It's easily solved by just loading up the same thing again, and it then always works. It never crashes during a game. If it does crash on loading, you get messages in this form: 07:00:00 Graphic not found 0. Sometimes between one and two hundred of them :woohoo:

2. A lot of memory installed. It's a fairly recent high-end desktop.

Martin (J)
Last edited by Martin James on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pom
Reactions:

Post by Pom »

Hi Davinci.

I've been trying to cut down on the number of animation frames I use. My first mods had up to 40 frames for the Load/Ready/Fire cycle. I've now got that down to around 20 max, with some being lower.

I did this to save on memory usage so that I could get better resolution on the sprites and to put more sprites into the game. I can now get most infantry units onto one 4096 sprite sheet.

Sorry if you feel I've taken it to far, I'm always looking at my animations, from number of frames to preventing some of the spite "jumping" that you can get in GB. I'll keep trying different things.

Have you tried using the Load animations for the Ready ones? Changing them in the unitpack csv. This may give you more of the look you are looking for.

Pom.

Edit.
Sorry forgot to answer you other question.

As Martin said above, the problem normaly comes in the loading stage. I somtimes get the problem when I change maps or settings between battles. As Martin says, reloading clears the problem.

I have 8GB of Ram.
Last edited by Pom on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.