Gettysburg 3Days - New Ground

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Released for the 154th Anniversary (2017) of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1st - 3rd, 1863.

Featuring:

- New Gettysburg map by MarkT (9 Mile)
- Two 'Three Days in 8 1/2 Hours' Full Battle Scenarios
1) Gettysburg 3Days, New Ground (C-Army)
2) Gettysburg 3Days, New Ground (U-Army) INFO
- Fatigue and Morale replenished at the end of Days one and two
- Upgraded setup and scripting from the previous 3Days scenarios
- Richmond News end screens for CSA
- Optional scenario file (scenario - DRF.csv) to use flags from the B&F mod -- rename to scenario.csv in the individual scenario folder after renaming the original

Unzip and copy to the Mods folder - Unzips with 7zip, free download...

SPOILER: SHOW
The bar is set! Image
Major Victory.jpg
Major Victory.jpg (321.52 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Well, it's been six years since the 'GB 3Days' scenarios were released and with the introduction of MarkT's outstanding nine mile map the time was ripe for an upgrade. And an UPGRADE it is! I've learned a lot in those six years, especially what works and what doesn't, on how to keep scenarios vibrant and immersive. At least I think so.

A heads up on performance. Due to the large number of troops, eventually, and with the huge map, low fps and lag are a fact of life with this old engine. The number one thing I have learned about performance and lag in general is to keep corps and general level officers TC'd (this eliminates hundreds of AI-loops between officers that suck performance unnecessarily). You'll find in the scripting that these upper level officers will be TC on when introduced, I suggest they remain TC'd and just move by divisions. If you don't, not only greater lag, but the occurrences of anomalies like troops stopping engaging are likely to occur. They literally stop fighting and will walk through or ignore the enemy. Or, if you insist on using these officers TC off, then better to raise the sprite ratio to at least 10 to one.

As announced and shown above, "The Bar is Set". The best way to show appreciation for this effort as far as I'm concerned is attack that Bar, display your end screen, and feedback about your experience and path to glory, or, how you messed up. All is good, and fun, in the remaking of history.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Gettysburg 3Days - New Ground

Post by Davinci »

Reb - Great Job on getting this Map posted!

It is a truly remarkable Map!

Jumping Topic : What do You set your AI-Cycles on ?

I keep mine on ( 500 ) and the 200,000 plus units seem to all operate occurring to plan.

I think that I have approximately 99,000 and the enemy has approximately 129,000.

But, not all units are involved in the fighting at the same time.

*** Norb - mentioned years and years ago that if you set it too high the AI would think too much, but he really didn't explain what " Thinking Too Much " meant.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
rclark14
Reactions:

Post by rclark14 »

Hi, is this game still going? I have not played in couple of years, anything new since then? How is Waterloo?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, game is still going. Norb released the map editor tools with the latest SDK so more people are map modding now. A bunch of us Napoleonic fans are doing map changes for Waterloo - converting Gettysburg/ACW maps to look European. Our group has about 4 done with 2 or 3 more in the works.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Reb - Great Job on getting this Map posted!

It is a truly remarkable Map!

Jumping Topic : What do You set your AI-Cycles on ?

I keep mine on ( 500 ) and the 200,000 plus units seem to all operate occurring to plan.

I think that I have approximately 99,000 and the enemy has approximately 129,000.

But, not all units are involved in the fighting at the same time.

*** Norb - mentioned years and years ago that if you set it too high the AI would think too much, but he really didn't explain what " Thinking Too Much " meant.

davinci
I've never messed with the AI-Cycles numbers, the default setting is good by me. I assume you can 'dumb down' the AI with fewer cycles and save on performance but I prefer to TC corps commanders, thus eliminating cycles, thereby keeping the division and down officers' AI sharp.

" Thinking Too Much " is when the AI is overwhelmed by the number of cycles and begins shutting down. First indications of this overload are when troops 'Go Blind' as I mentioned in the first post.

Thanks for plugging the AI-Cycles info. I'm sure some folks will check it out and experiment, especially 'sandbox full army' type players like you. :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I've never messed with the AI-Cycles numbers, the default setting is good by me.
Ten Four, Understand!

But, I wasn't setting it that high for Me, its to help the AI Army fight better.

Besides, I have never ever actually won a battle against the AI, it is impossible to destroy a larger Army without destroying your own army in turn.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

@ Reb Bugler ......... The Bar you say?

How quaint

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Asid
Reactions:

Post by Asid »

This is great.

Thank you for all the hard work.

Regards
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
rclark14
Reactions:

Post by rclark14 »

hi, the game was a ton of fun, but I burned out on it- I was waiting for new battles- hoping for Chickamauga or Shiloh but we got Waterloo which I have not ventured to- I mainly play chess online now- chess.com is the best- enjoyed the history lesson of this game ;)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Chickamauga and Shiloh have both been released as free add-ons by the community, a Chattanooga map as well - you should stick around, lots still happening here.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.