Any tips for the map editor?

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Jace11
Reactions:

Any tips for the map editor?

Post by Jace11 »

So with SDKv2 being released, we got our hands on the map editor - a modified lstudio from the powerrender suite. Does anyone have any tips, guides or documentation that would be helpful for new users? For example, after installing, you get the map folders containing all the necessary files to compile a map, but when I open a map and try to compile I just get an error message with no indication as to why the compile failed and this is using the default map files that come with the SDK.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Any tips for the map editor?

Post by Davinci »

As far as I know - the ( Compile ) has never worked so I quit using it to Save a Map after editing it.

I use the ( Save ) to update the various files and then use the ( LibEdit ) to Compile the files after that.

Basically make sure that you have a backup for any of the Maps that you plan on editing.

The ( LibEdit ) is in the same folder as the LStudio program.

Once you have made changes to the map, Save it, and close out of the LStudio Program.

Open the LibEdit Program and drag the ( Mapname.lsl ) file into the LibEdit Window.

Click - Action
Click - Add / Update Files

Navigate or Locate the ( Folder ) that you used to Open the Map Files that you are editing.

Select All of the Files that are in the Folder (Map) and Click Open - from the LibEdit Window.

Click - File - Exit

Now move the new ( Mapname.lsl ) from this folder into the game to view your changes.

This is written as if you have a little bit of knowledge into what you are doing. There is No documentation into making maps other than the old Forum from TC2M.

Most of the Map Makers here were from TC2M so we all had a little bit of knowledge from that game.

I would say that the easiest way to go about this is to concentrate on changing an existing map and getting it to work in the game.

It is not at all extremely hard, but sort of hard to understand if you have never done it!

But, there are plenty of people here that will assist you if you run into a problem.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jace11
Reactions:

Post by Jace11 »

Thanks
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Actually Compile should work. We are looking into this issue and I will get back to you soon.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Ok, the simple fix for this is to create a "CompiledLevels" folder in your NSDTools folder. Then you can compile the level as normal--it will create the compiled LSL file there.

We'll get the SDK updated to include the folder.
Jace11
Reactions:

Post by Jace11 »

Thanks,

tested, it works now.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

LP - How is everything going!

Question - Can you use the Waterloo SDK that was posted and load up the Waterloo Map - Select all buildings and delete them?

I tried to do that and the buildings did not delete. They would disappear and then reappear when I moved the screen.

I tried the same thing with the SOWGB LStudio - and was able to delete all of the buildings by Selecting All.

SO, do I have a corrupted download or is the problem within the Waterloo LStudio?

Thanks,

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hi Davinci. There is definitely some kind of bug happening with the buildings. We'll look into it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

The SDK has been updated to version 2. If you re-download/install, you'll find a lot more files in the NSD Tools folder and lstudio should work much better.