Tutorial

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
james l henry
Reactions:

Tutorial

Post by james l henry »

Am struggling to get through the first segment of the tutorial (Picton/La Haye Sainte) - please understand that I am asking for help and not ranting - perhaps all the problems i have are because the tutorial is desingned to perform in the way it does, though if that is the case, I wish it was explicit. The other possibility is that I am a slow learner.

1) Sending units forward but cant see what they see unless i move picton (and there are no instructions on how to move picton but i managed to figure it out. When I go to oob and select a unit and then use select unit thinking i will be taken to where that unit is, it doesnt happen

2) Reinforcements arrive and am told to locate them - but no instructions on how to locate them - again unless i run around with picton

3)going to map mode and i see no units just an eye representing picton -is that right?

4) A suggestion - there are info boxes that pop up which help you to understand what to do, but when I click on oob to try to find a unit or officer on the map (which I cant) and then go back to the main screen, the info box has disappeared. So I am now on my third attempt to get through the first segment of the tutorial (maybe there is only one segement?)

I am also going through the manual so perhaps my issues are covered in that document?

Thanks.

Is there an option to make units visible on the map? I couldnt find one.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Tutorial

Post by DarkRob »

Am struggling to get through the first segment of the tutorial (Picton/La Haye Sainte) - please understand that I am asking for help and not ranting - perhaps all the problems i have are because the tutorial is desingned to perform in the way it does, though if that is the case, I wish it was explicit. The other possibility is that I am a slow learner.

1) Sending units forward but cant see what they see unless i move picton (and there are no instructions on how to move picton but i managed to figure it out. When I go to oob and select a unit and then use select unit thinking i will be taken to where that unit is, it doesnt happen

2) Reinforcements arrive and am told to locate them - but no instructions on how to locate them - again unless i run around with picton

3)going to map mode and i see no units just an eye representing picton -is that right?

4) A suggestion - there are info boxes that pop up which help you to understand what to do, but when I click on oob to try to find a unit or officer on the map (which I cant) and then go back to the main screen, the info box has disappeared. So I am now on my third attempt to get through the first segment of the tutorial (maybe there is only one segement?)

I am also going through the manual so perhaps my issues are covered in that document?

Thanks.

Is there an option to make units visible on the map? I couldnt find one.

Hi James. It sounds to me like you are doing the tutorial set on a very high difficulty and with HITS(Headquarters in the saddle). The fact you say you can only see whats going on by running Picton around and the bare map are what make me think this is the case.
Since you are a new player I recommend going into options on the main screen and adjusting the difficulty to "militia" The standard difficulty for the game is "normal" however the only difference between militia and normal is with militia the enemy units will be slightly weaker than they were historically which is why I suggest militia for new players.

Also in all honesty I advise not even bothering with the tutorial. Its not very good and you can learn far more by playing the games introductory brigade scenarios.

Also Ive been doing a video series on youtube where I plan on playing every scenario in the game and from all the DLC's Ive already finished all the brigade scenarios. There are 8 brigade scenarios in total and I at least recommend starting with scenario WL01- The emperors plan, as that is the indroductory scenario for the series.

I cover all 8 brigade scenarios. Episode 1 is the Emperors plan. There is no commentary on the video, however episode 9, the final video, is the commentary video where I talk about what to do and how to beat all the brigade scenarios. Hopefully you will find some of it helpful in learning how to play the game.

Here is a link to the playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NHeghO9XR5

(While the videos were filmed on the normal difficulty, you can still use all the same strategies and tactics I used in the videos on the militia difficulty as well, in fact they will probably be even more effective.)
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james l henry
Reactions:

Post by james l henry »

Thanks very much much - my pride wanted to start on historical but competence seems that militia is a good ide :)
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Thanks very much much - my pride wanted to start on historical but competence seems that militia is a good ide :)
Yea, this is a deep game and there are a lot of fundamentals and game mechanics that you need to learn first before diving into things like HITS and extreme FOW. Theres nothing wrong with starting from the beginning. Start small and take your time to really learn about how the game works. In time, once you have the basics and fundamentals down you can begin to dive into the aspects of the game that focus more on the historical realism of Napoleonic command.

It pains me when I see new players get frustrated with the game and stop playing just because they tried to do to much, to soon. Its one of the reasons I wanted to do a video series on the game to maybe help new players start to understand some of the mechanics of the game.
Good luck, and let me know if you have anymore questions.
james l henry
Reactions:

Post by james l henry »

Thanks Darkrob

Got through all the info points in the picton tutorial by dropping down to milita as you suggested. Will peruse the manual for more info on details. Especially forts as the tutorial said by clicking on a flag of an occupied fort you could access info but it didnt work.

Also yday I did watch some of your first episode yt upload, but in the tutorial there was no mention of how to split off skirmishers.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Thanks Darkrob

Got through all the info points in the picton tutorial by dropping down to milita as you suggested. Will peruse the manual for more info on details. Especially forts as the tutorial said by clicking on a flag of an occupied fort you could access info but it didnt work.

Also yday I did watch some of your first episode yt upload, but in the tutorial there was no mention of how to split off skirmishers.
Yea theres a lot the tutorial doesn't talk about. The tutorial is just for the absolute bare bones of learning how to move units around, how to change formations, how to actually get units into combat etc etc. Its just really the barest of the basics. The manual for the game is actually quite decent and I do suggest reading it. Theres actually a lot of good info in there.
james l henry
Reactions:

Post by james l henry »

I played the first scenario today but could not see an unsplit/split button (edit - my mistake - it's there - sorry) and the courier message says that i can click on the unsplit button - I have the most recent version I think - for future How do we check which version we have?
Last edited by james l henry on Wed May 31, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I played the first scenario today but could not see an unsplit/split button and the courier message says that i can click on the unsplit button - I have the most recent version I think - for future How do we check which version we have?
Hi James. It's not an issue with your version. There is an issue with splitting and unsplitting skirmishers and I cover it in detail in episode 9 of my brigade series playlist. Basically it is one button that toggles between split battalion and unsplit unit. When you first split off a skirmisher unit it still has the split battalion button. In order for it to flip to unsplit unit all you have to do is make sure the skirmisher unit is under AI control. Once the AI begins moving the skirmisher unit it's split battalion button will flip to unsplit unit. You can then handle the skirmisher unit however you wish and you will be able to recall it normally.
Last edited by DarkRob on Wed May 31, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I played the first scenario today but could not see an unsplit/split button (edit - my mistake - it's there - sorry) and the courier message says that i can click on the unsplit button - I have the most recent version I think - for future How do we check which version we have?
I believe the split button is on the 'Standing' context window; right click on the unit when its resting to see menu.

Once you get your battle legs try out the Grog Toolbar. All the commands are on the main toolbar and there's only one split/unsplit button. If the unit's split, it only shows the unsplit button, and vice versa.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Oh dear. Is he talking about the standard toolbar? My bad. I sometimes forget there even is a standard toolbar.