Windows 10 Again

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
BillF
Reactions:

Windows 10 Again

Post by BillF »

I had to get a new computer and of course it's got Windows 10 Home. Previously ran SOW on Vista and Windows 7 with no problems. I have been aware of all of the questions with problems with 10 but it seems like nobody is asking about it anymore. I can't get the game to run.

I have read the previous threads but the compatibility fixes don't work. No matter what it's setting, a black box opens and then a message that Windows has stopped working.

Is there anything that works or are you declaring it dead? It was the best CW sim game I've ever played, and I can't believe that Norb would let it just disappear. Started with Mad Minute and had all of the add ons and I'm rather upset that they won't support their product.

Anything else I can try? Thank you.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Windows 10 Again

Post by RebBugler »

Here's a Matrix thread that might be helpful...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... 1&#4099359
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
BillF
Reactions:

Post by BillF »

Tried it and get the same result - black box opens and Windows stops working message. I noticed this fix was 4 years old. Has anything changed in the game or Windows since then? All of the support messages on Matrix were old, nothing recent.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Tried it and get the same result - black box opens and Windows stops working message. I noticed this fix was 4 years old. Has anything changed in the game or Windows since then? All of the support messages on Matrix were old, nothing recent.
This is the date for the link I included: RE: windows 10 compatibility testing - 6/15/2016 6:39:25 AM
Regardless, that's the only compatibility fix I know of and obviously it didn't work for you.

Otherwise, there have been reports of MP compatibility issues with MP play and different Win10 versions, but SP play works fine when the compatibility factors are met...admin settings and XP or Win7 selected in Properties/compatibility.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
BillF
Reactions:

Post by BillF »

I figured the only thing I could do was to delete the game and reinstall again following those instructions and this time IT WORKED! Don't know why it didn't work the first time but it came out OK in the end. Don't know if I'll come across any problems once I start playing, but at least it looks promising.

Thanks for your help. I don't think I would have found that tutorial without it.