New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

A section for Waterloo videos, screenshots and fan art. Post any of your creations here!
DarkRob
Reactions:

New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by DarkRob »

So ive decided on an ambitious undertaking. Im going to make a youtube series where I play every scenario from Waterloo, Quatre Bras, Ligny and Wavre.

Im starting with all the brigade scenarios. Then Il do all the division scenarios, then corps, and finally the army scenarios, which will likely be broken up into multiple videos given those scenarios durations.

They will all be in 1080p HD

There will be four separate playlists eventually. One each for brigades, divisions, corps, and army.

Brigade series playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NHeghO9XR5

Division series playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 62TjfkoQZ2

Corps series playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... v-cRiWTtlQ

Full Battle series playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SFtSRagqF2

The Grog toolbar demystified mini series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LGXBt9GRHx
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by RebBugler »

Outstanding!

Checked out WL03, my first design, and you beat it handily, darn it. I had a major assault scripted if the objective was taken too soon, guess your Friendlies stopped that advance.

Very nice project you've undertaken here, it will indeed help promote the game not to mention helping folks learn and be successful at SOW Generaling. Having said that, I don't ever TC individual battalions, attackmarch is my 'force move' command of choice...But each to their own. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Outstanding!

Checked out WL03, my first design, and you beat it handily, darn it. I had a major assault scripted if the objective was taken too soon, guess your Friendlies stopped that advance.

Very nice project you've undertaken here, it will indeed help promote the game not to mention helping folks learn and be successful at SOW Generaling. Having said that, I don't ever TC individual battalions, attackmarch is my 'force move' command of choice...But each to their own. :)
Yes Im a TC fanatic lol. But that's the beautiful thing about this game. It has so many different ways to play the game, theres something for everyone. You will see me TC less once I get to corps and army scenarios, as micromanaging that many units can get crazy. But I still will probably do it more than you would. Its just my thing, I like to be very hands on.

Regarding WL03, every time ive played that scenario the major assault has happened. This was actually the first time I played it where it didn't happen and I was surprised. The AI French brigade must have had their blood up because they went around attacking everything like maniacs. They don't usually do that lol.

And yes, one of the main reasons Im doing this is I want to draw more attention to the game and promote how awesome it is. Maybe even attract some new players to the game. That said, I don't have a well known youtube channel at all, so hopefully word of mouth starts to spread over time as I make more and more of them.
Im exclusively using your expanded toolbar as well. Cant leave France without it :)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I tend to avoid non-commentary game videos because the viewer quickly loses track of what is going on. I'd suggest at least subtitles or notes announcing what's happening. I'd also suggest frequent openings of the minimap with the cursor showing where the action is.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I tend to avoid non-commentary game videos because the viewer quickly loses track of what is going on. I'd suggest at least subtitles or notes announcing what's happening. I'd also suggest frequent openings of the minimap with the cursor showing where the action is.
I did try a few test runs with commentary and they just weren't any good. It was just bad. I'm for sure no Agrippa.
That's an interesting idea about adding subtitles here and there though. I'l look into that. Thanks for the feedback.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Dark Rob

Congratulations on posting this material on YouTube which will hopefully encourage more people to try Waterloo.

I cannot help but be struck by the contrast I see between the techniques that you adopt in the standard game and those that I use after applying my artillery mod.

In my games the artillery is the key factor but in yours it hardly plays a part. Historically Wellington deployed a battery consisting entirely of howitzers to deliver Shrapnel rounds into the orchard and other trees in front of Hougoumont which became a no-go area for the French. Unfortunately I have not worked out a way of introducing indirect fire but once French troops show themselves in the vicinity of the castle they are decimated by Shrapnel. Similarly D'Erlons' attackers take very heavy losses as they cross the valley but if they bring guns and cavalry with them they can at least respond as Ney eventually did to finally take La Haye Sainte in the early evening.

Regards

Mike
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Hi Dark Rob

Congratulations on posting this material on YouTube which will hopefully encourage more people to try Waterloo.

I cannot help but be struck by the contrast I see between the techniques that you adopt in the standard game and those that I use after applying my artillery mod.

In my games the artillery is the key factor but in yours it hardly plays a part. Historically Wellington deployed a battery consisting entirely of howitzers to deliver Shrapnel rounds into the orchard and other trees in front of Hougoumont which became a no-go area for the French. Unfortunately I have not worked out a way of introducing indirect fire but once French troops show themselves in the vicinity of the castle they are decimated by Shrapnel. Similarly D'Erlons' attackers take very heavy losses as they cross the valley but if they bring guns and cavalry with them they can at least respond as Ney eventually did to finally take La Haye Sainte in the early evening.

Regards

Mike
Yep. Artillery in scourge of war isn't that effective at far distances. It's deadly at canister range and even some distance past, it will grind you down. But after about 600-700 yards out you don't even need to pay attention to it.
Also the scenarios are kind of balanced with everything the way it is. If artillery was way stronger like in the KS mod, half these small brigade level scenarios would be unwinnable because you only control a couple of infantry battalions and don't have the ability to respond correctly against a serious artillery or cavalry threat. So the game kind of had to be balanced around that. I suspect that's probably why most KS players don't even bother trying to play the stock scenarios with it, as it would just completely unbalance them.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi DarkRob
As my wife is away I just watched your version with commentary right through at a sitting and really enjoyed it. A very useful resource for new players.

One question re Le Garde Recule scenario - why did you not use your usual skirmisher tactic as the Guard approached - was it just lack of time to deploy or because you wanted to recreate history?

Another comment on your Wavre scenario - historically the French failed in all their attempts to cross defended bridges over the Dyle. They only crossed at Limale because the Prussian commander had pulled his defenders back from the bridge itself and Pajol's cavalry rushed over it before the defenders could get back to it. In designing my own campaign scenario for Wavre I have placed French units on the far bank having crossed supposedly at Mousty which is to the South of Limalette and historically was not guarded by the Prussians. Perhaps in the standard scenario the designer has ordered the Prussian battery to concentrate on a French battery to the West of your units which would be one way making the defence less effective.

Regards

Mike
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Hi DarkRob
As my wife is away I just watched your version with commentary right through at a sitting and really enjoyed it. A very useful resource for new players.

One question re Le Garde Recule scenario - why did you not use your usual skirmisher tactic as the Guard approached - was it just lack of time to deploy or because you wanted to recreate history?

Another comment on your Wavre scenario - historically the French failed in all their attempts to cross defended bridges over the Dyle. They only crossed at Limale because the Prussian commander had pulled his defenders back from the bridge itself and Pajol's cavalry rushed over it before the defenders could get back to it. In designing my own campaign scenario for Wavre I have placed French units on the far bank having crossed supposedly at Mousty which is to the South of Limalette and historically was not guarded by the Prussians. Perhaps in the standard scenario the designer has ordered the Prussian battery to concentrate on a French battery to the West of your units which would be one way making the defence less effective.

Regards

Mike
Hi Mike. Yea at the beginning of the La Garde Recule scenario its all about recreating that scene from the movie. Your orders even tell you to rise up and use volley fire. Skirmishers are great at taking less casualties than they inflict, but they aren't what you might call heavy hitters. The two british guard units are 1000 men each and they just put out a tremendous amount of fire. Plus I think that's just what the scenario wants you to do.

Wavre, yea I even mention that it has to be the most unhistorical and unrealistic tactic I use. But I do know all the scenarios are designed so that a major victory is possible, even if historically it wasn't. So I just had to experiment until I found something that worked. The key is that the Prussian artillery battery has its attention focused elsewhere. If they didn't, no French unit would ever get across that last bridge. Even stock artillery really hurts at close range.

Im glad you enjoyed watching it. B)
Last edited by DarkRob on Wed May 31, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I'd be interested to hear if you plan to record some games using the KS Mod.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.