Cavalry Question

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Question

Post by DarkRob »

Maybe it's the way we play as I always take control of everything I can as you don't. Perhaps that's why I see it more than you?
This could be your issue if you're TC'ing level 6 (squadrons) and forcing them to engage. To force units into engagements only use attackmarch, TC'd units are mindless and highly vulnerable. The only reason I left the TC function on level 6 with the Grog Toolbar is that TC is the most effective way to get units OUT of engagements. Otherwise TC on level 6 is like a suicide button if folks don't know when and how to use it effectively.
I sort of agree with this, and I sort of don't. Attack March is no substitute for TC at any level,and never has been. TC is the only way to fully guarantee that your units do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it. However you are right, the real problem with TC is if you don't know what you're doing with it, then yea, it's a death sentence. In my opinion attack march is sort of halfway between AI control and TC. Your troops have a much better chance of going where you want them to than under full AI, but it's by no means the same level of guarantee that TC is.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I TC a squadron if I want to capture guns otherwise I use the Commander, which is TC'd , to issue orders to the squadrons.
Leicestershire
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I TC a squadron if I want to capture guns otherwise I use the Commander, which is TC'd , to issue orders to the squadrons.
You can actually use the charge button from the brigade commander to make the whole brigade charge en masse, even if all the squadrons are on TC as well. Some buttons of the grog toolbar work from the brigade commander even if all his units are also under TC. Charge, double quick, retreat etc etc, all work from the brigade commander even if his units are all TC'd. It makes getting your units to approach the way you want them to and then charge en masse extremely easy.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

You can actually use the charge button from the brigade commander to make the whole brigade charge en masse, even if all the squadrons are on TC as well. Some buttons of the grog toolbar work from the brigade commander even if all his units are also under TC. Charge, double quick, retreat etc etc, all work from the brigade commander even if his units are all TC'd. It makes getting your units to approach the way you want them to and then charge en masse extremely easy.
If one is able to control TC'd units via the brigade commander then there has been a drastic change of the TC function at those levels that I'm not aware of. Besides eliminating AI control, TC should be, and has been, the ultimate detach command. If I find the time and patience to test this unplugged :side: game, I'll check and see if the TC function has been reconfigured.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

If one is able to control TC'd units via the brigade commander then there has been a drastic change of the TC function at those levels that I'm not aware of. Besides eliminating AI control, TC should be, and has been, the ultimate detach command. If I find the time and patience to test this unplugged :side: game, I'll check and see if the TC function has been reconfigured.
It has always been this way with the grog toolbar in SOWWL. Always. Since the first iteration of the grog toolbar. You don't have complete control from the brigade commander. Units won't respond to move or formation orders from the brigade commander while TC'd. But they will charge, retreat, double quick etc etc. What I do is just assign the move and formations while the unit's are under AI control, then just TC all units so nothing interrupts them. Once they come within range of enemy fire, I double quick them(again this works from the brigade commander even if all units are TC'd) once within range hit the charge button to make the whole brigade charge. Keep mashing the charge button to continue the charge without any units stopping to reform. Easy peezy. Please don't change this, I actually like it and abuse the hell outta of it.
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Also there are any number of other bugs and exploits that I abuse the hell out of. If you start down this path, it's a very long path. The game is pretty much over anyway. We're all waiting on the next SOW game now.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

It has always been this way with the grog toolbar in SOWWL. Always. Since the first iteration of the grog toolbar. You don't have complete control from the brigade commander. Units won't respond to move or formation orders from the brigade commander while TC'd. But they will charge, retreat, double quick etc etc. What I do is just assign the move and formations while the unit's are under AI control, then just TC all units so nothing interrupts them. Once they come within range of enemy fire, I double quick them(again this works from the brigade commander even if all units are TC'd) once within range hit the charge button to make the whole brigade charge. Keep mashing the charge button to continue the charge without any units stopping to reform. Easy peezy. Please don't change this, I actually like it and abuse the hell outta of it.
Confirmed! Since I never TC level 6 units because previously it was always a micromanagement nightmare to do so, I just flat didn't test this. Why they detach with TC on sometimes and not others is beyond me, guess that's a European touch that broke the TC rules to accommodate Napoleonic style warfare.

To be clear though, it's not a Grog Toolbar anomaly, it's the TC function that's evolved from it's ACW days.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Confirmed! Since I never TC level 6 units because previously it was always a micromanagement nightmare to do so, I just flat didn't test this. Why they detach with TC on sometimes and not others is beyond me, guess that's a European touch that broke the TC rules to accommodate Napoleonic style warfare.

To be clear though, it's not a Grog Toolbar anomaly, it's the TC function that's evolved from it's ACW days.
I'm actually surprised to hear that. Because you can't do any of the things I described with the bugles and flags toolbar. With the bugles and flags toolbar units under TC won't respond to any orders from the brigade commander, including charge, retreat etc etc.
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Also, now it probably makes more sense why I have no use for attack march. It's made lrrelevent by how TC works.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I'm actually surprised to hear that. Because you can't do any of the things I described with the bugles and flags toolbar. With the bugles and flags toolbar units under TC won't respond to any orders from the brigade commander, including charge, retreat etc etc.
No surprise or mystery, B&F uses the classic TC functioning I've described above, the Grog Toolbar uses the TC functioning you (DarkRob) describe. The name of the command, tcommon, hasn't changed, its functionality has.

Thanks for pointing this out, another reason for steering clear of gameplay questions since I don't have a firm grasp on how things work anymore.