Cavalry Question

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Question

Post by DarkRob »

Dutch101,Capt Saucier & DarkRob have all reproduced the same problem & I have reinstalled the game.
I don't follow you, Dark Rob is not seeing the issue.
Dark Rob said,

"So I finished LG-04 the eagle triumphs. I got about 2 or 3 weird cavalry results but nothing crazy"

" I played the entire 7 hour scenario but was unable to reproduce the French cavalry being slaughtered more than a few isolated times. Most of the time my cavalry did very well. This is really weird. Above my paygrade as well."
Hey roy64, I got a stupid question. What difficulty are you playing on? I played LG-04 on normal. But if you were playing on a higher difficulty like seasoned or veteran or something like that, those difficulties artificially inflate the Prussians strength, troop quality, fatigue, morale, aggressiveness, pretty much everything. So on very high difficulties the entire Prussian force would all be made up of soldiers from the planet Krypton.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I'm playing custom difficulty,

AI Aggressiveness is set to 1

AI morale level is set to 0

AI regiment strength (%) is set to 110
Leicestershire
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I mean, that's not a huge bump, but it's still a bump. That means every unit in the Prussians army has 10% more men than they should have. Plus they'll be more aggressive. And who knows if there might be any wonky AI behavior using a custom difficulty. Try it just on straight normal and see how it goes. Even on normal there were a few occasions where I saw French cavalry get wiped out when they shouldn't have. But it seemed to happen alot less for me than it did for you.
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I mean, that's not a huge bump, but it's still a bump. That means every unit in the Prussians army has 10% more men than they should have. Plus they'll be more aggressive. And who knows if there might be any wonky AI behavior using a custom difficulty. Try it just on straight normal and see how it goes. Even on normal there were a few occasions where I saw French cavalry get wiped out when they shouldn't have. But it seemed to happen alot less for me than it did for you.
I'll give it a try & see what happens.
Leicestershire
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Same result :(

Leicestershire
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

That's wild. I don't know what to say. You seem to be able to produce this result almost at will and I had to play the whole 7 hour scenario just to get it to happen a few times.
If you had to guess, what percentage of all your cavalry on cavalry combat yields these kinds of results?
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Post by Capt Saucier »

In the last sandbox scenario, I saved the game right before my French cavalry engaged the Prussians, then played until the French were routed. I did this 5 times and each time the result was basically the same. That is the French were decimated, almost always inflicting a maximum of 2 casualties and losing 50 to 100. I set the difficulty level to a slight French advantage. In each case the French were fresh. In one extreme case, the French not only lost 50 to 100 but a single Prussian beat 3 French units in order and also captured them.

I did not get this same result when playing the stock Ligny scenario the other day, but have seen this in the past when I first started playing the game. I thought this was fixed a while ago. I will go back and play Waterloo or Quartre Bras and see if this occurs.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

That's wild. I don't know what to say. You seem to be able to produce this result almost at will and I had to play the whole 7 hour scenario just to get it to happen a few times.
If you had to guess, what percentage of all your cavalry on cavalry combat yields these kinds of results?
That's what I don't understand, I can play any sandbox,scenario or a mod & reproduce it all the time yet you can't? Percentage wise I would say it's about 30% but it really is random.

Lets say when you click on a Brigade commander & you see the casualty rates are pretty even you think everything is OK but when you check the casualty rates of each squadron then you'll find the weird cavalry results, So maybe your not noticing it because your not checking each squadron.
Leicestershire
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

That's what I don't understand, I can play any sandbox,scenario or a mod & reproduce it all the time yet you can't? Percentage wise I would say it's about 30% but it really is random.

Lets say when you click on a Brigade commander & you see the casualty rates are pretty even you think everything is OK but when you check the casualty rates of each squadron then you'll find the weird cavalry results, So maybe your not noticing it because your not checking each squadron.
Nah, theres no way its happening anything remotely close to 30% of the time for me. I admit most of the time Im not checking on each individual squadron. But when I check on a commander, any commander, if they've got a negative score, Im checking all their units to see who it is that's getting the worst of it. Especially units under AI command where occasionally they will have a cavalry unit just standing to near an infantry square and getting shot to pieces but not moving away, so I have to TC them and get them out of harms way.
That kind of stuff happens, we all know the AI isn't perfect.

But in your case, I have to say honestly, I don't know whats happening. It shouldn't be anywhere near 30% of the time unless A) there is something wrong with your game, and your game only, or B ) You are badly mishandling your cavalry.

Im going to discard for now the possibility that you are badly handling cavalry because A) you don't sound like an idiot, and most people who would even play a game like this aren't idiots and would know about Napoleonic warfare, and B ) Even for arguments sake, lets say you are bad with cavalry. That still wouldn't change the fact that the last screenshot you put up was of fresh, high morale, high fatigue, level 7- veteran troops getting wrecked. Level 7- veteran is literally the highest troop quality in the game any unit can have outside of the French Imperial Guard(who are level 8-elite, and only the Imperial guard have level 8 troops)In other words, good or bad with cavalry, that still shouldn't have happened.

So Im going to go with, something is wrong with your game, or at least different from my game. Are you a big tinkerer? Like do you go into the scenario files and start messing around and changing things? Is it possible you may have changed something that inadvertently made your cavalry become far less effective? Honestly Im running out of ideas of where the problem lies and I think we are going to need some dev support on this one.

For my part I can confirm this issue does exist. It has happened to me, but nothing even close to 30% of the time. For me its like 1% to 2% of all cavalry on cavalry combat yields this kind of result.
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Im checking all their units to see who it is that's getting the worst of it. Especially units under AI command where occasionally they will have a cavalry unit just standing to near an infantry square and getting shot to pieces but not moving away, so I have to TC them and get them out of harms way.
That kind of stuff happens, we all know the AI isn't perfect.
Yep I always see that but that has nothing to do with what I'm & others are seeing.
But in your case, I have to say honestly, I don't know whats happening. It shouldn't be anywhere near 30% of the time unless A) there is something wrong with your game, and your game only, or B ) You are badly mishandling your cavalry.
Really you could say it's 100% of the time considering it will happen every game I play. The game is a steam version & it is version 101 & has been installed at least 3 times since January. All my commanders love me so I don't think it's that.
Im going to discard for now the possibility that you are badly handling cavalry because A) you don't sound like an idiot, and most people who would even play a game like this aren't idiots and would know about Napoleonic warfare, and B ) Even for arguments sake, lets say you are bad with cavalry. That still wouldn't change the fact that the last screenshot you put up was of fresh, high morale, high fatigue, level 7- veteran troops getting wrecked. Level 7- veteran is literally the highest troop quality in the game any unit can have outside of the French Imperial Guard(who are level 8-elite, and only the Imperial guard have level 8 troops)In other words, good or bad with cavalry, that still shouldn't have happened.
Thank you I think. :(
So Im going to go with, something is wrong with your game, or at least different from my game. Are you a big tinkerer? Like do you go into the scenario files and start messing around and changing things? Is it possible you may have changed something that inadvertently made your cavalry become far less effective?
My game is a bog standard Steam version 101, no tinkering of any files & I use a shortcut to my mods folder so I don't have to go into the main game folder at all.
Honestly Im running out of ideas of where the problem lies and I think we are going to need some dev support on this one.
I agree & why aren't the devs helping?
For my part I can confirm this issue does exist. It has happened to me, but nothing even close to 30% of the time. For me its like 1% to 2% of all cavalry on cavalry combat yields this kind of result.
Well if it's happening 1% to 2% of all cavalry on cavalry combat that is still a lot. Is it happening to you when you play a sandbox game as well as the stock scenarios? Does it happen every game you play?
Last edited by roy64 on Tue May 16, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leicestershire