Cavalry Question

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Dutch101
Reactions:

Cavalry Question

Post by Dutch101 »

Hello, I was hoping to gain some knowledge here being relatively new to Waterloo (not Gettysburg however). I have experienced some very wide results in cavalry vs cavalry melee and was looking for either observations or perhaps the technical knowledge of whats going on under the hood in these calculations. For example, a recent melee saw two squadrons of french lancers charge the flank or a brunswick hussar squadron which was pursuing a third french cavalry unit. I expected the lancers to do great damage but lost 182-0 when striking the enemy from 90 degrees directly in their flank. Given this and other results, what is the best way to employ cavalry against other cavalry? Can anyone shed light on exactly what calculations are actually made for these engagements? Thank you.
roy64
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Question

Post by roy64 »

This happens all the time with cavalry vs cavalry melee despite claims of it being fixed over a year ago.
Leicestershire
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Oh? The patches didn't fix this? I thought it had been dealt with long ago as well.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Dutch101
Reactions:

Post by Dutch101 »

Ah I did not realize there was a known issue with this, I figured I had done something incorrectly or missed a detail perhaps. This happened to me in a multiplayer game two days ago so I'm afraid this seems to be an ongoing anomaly. I'm relieved in a way it doesn't seem to be my fault, my pride as a cavalry commander was in serious jeopardy for a while there :silly:
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Have you got the latest patch installed? It was issued at the same time as the Quatre Bras DLC.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Dutch101
Reactions:

Post by Dutch101 »

Yes my game is current unless the patch wasn't released for steam users. I have both DLC as well, I purchased the game at the same time as the DLC so my assumption is that the patch would have been included at that point.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Oh? The patches didn't fix this? I thought it had been dealt with long ago as well.

So did I when I saw no new reports of it since we released the fix over a year or more ago.

OP - if you use steam then you're patched. If this is a rare occurrence then melee in the game has a margin of random, so an extreme result is possible. If this is something that happens regularly then please send a save in to sowsupport@scourgeofwar.com for us to look at, with all mods off - thanks.
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I decided to give Waterloo another go so I played the LG04 - The Eagle Triumphs (F-Army) scenario. Everything was going well with the French Army until the French Cavalry got involved, if they can manage to catch any retreating\routing infantry they can inflicted some serious damage but when it comes to Cavalry vs Cavalry melee they are next to useless.

Here's another example of a one sided melee where the French Cavalry get slaughtered without inflicting any casualties to the enemy, this happens so often you don't really need a save file to see it just fight any battle with cavalry in it but I still sent you a saved game file.

Last edited by roy64 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leicestershire
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Post by Capt Saucier »

This happens all the time to me as well. I love the game but this should be looked at.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Some more examples.

Something is wrong with the Carabiniers they are useless, they always suffer very heavy casualties.
Leicestershire