Cavalry Question

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Question

Post by Capt Saucier »

I just played the same scenario as Rob, LG-04 focusing on Domon's division and the French cav acted normally, giving as good as they received, in fact routing the Prussians opposing them (they outnumbered them). I am convinced that its only in sandbox play that the cav of the human player receives the one sided results. How this could be only in sandbox play is above my pay grade!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

So I finished LG-04 the eagle triumphs. I got about 2 or 3 weird cavalry results but nothing crazy. On the whole my cavalry performed very well.

On a side note is the objective way up north on the Namur road supposed to be a hold objective? Its 5000 points every 19 minutes you hold it. To me that sounds like it should be a waypoint objective like everything else in the scenario, but instead its a hold. So I finished with some insanely high score, like over 60,000 and only 19,000 is needed for a major victory, because I grabbed the Namur road at around 17:30 hours and milked like 40,000 points from it.
Last edited by DarkRob on Sun May 14, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I just played the same scenario as Rob, LG-04 focusing on Domon's division and the French cav acted normally, giving as good as they received, in fact routing the Prussians opposing them (they outnumbered them). I am convinced that its only in sandbox play that the cav of the human player receives the one sided results. How this could be only in sandbox play is above my pay grade!
It cant only be sandbox because all the sceenshots roy64 posted of his cavalry getting wrecked were from LG-04, which is why I played the same scenario as him. I played the entire 7 hour scenario but was unable to reproduce the French cavalry being slaughtered more than a few isolated times. Most of the time my cavalry did very well. This is really weird. Above my paygrade as well.
Last edited by DarkRob on Sun May 14, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

It cant only be sandbox because all the sceenshots roy64 posted of his cavalry getting wrecked were from LG-04, which is why I played the same scenario as him. I played the entire 7 hour scenario but was unable to reproduce the French cavalry being slaughtered more than a few isolated times. Most of the time my cavalry did very well. This is really weird. Above my paygrade as well.
It doesn't matter whether I play sandbox,scenario or a mod I will always see odd results if there's cavalry, like you I sometimes see my French cavalry preform well, it's random.

Some of the worst incidents that I've seen have been in the 9 hour Waterloo scenario when the Prussians arrive on the field, the French Guard cavalry gets slaughtered in virtually every battle involving cavalry v cavalry combat, I've even seen Prussian infantry inflict significant casualty's while running away from charging cavalry.

Try the Carabiniers they are next to useless. Every time they suffer very heavy casualties. Chasseurs a Cheval of the Guard & the red lancers are not much better either.
Last edited by roy64 on Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leicestershire
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Roy, given that others can't reproduce what you are experiencing I suggest you uninstall and reinstall the game. Perhaps something in a patch didn't write correctly.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Roy, given that others can't reproduce what you are experiencing I suggest you uninstall and reinstall the game. Perhaps something in a patch didn't write correctly.
Dutch101,Capt Saucier & DarkRob have all reproduced the same problem & I have reinstalled the game.
Leicestershire
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Dutch101,Capt Saucier & DarkRob have all reproduced the same problem & I have reinstalled the game.
I don't follow you, Dark Rob is not seeing the issue.
Last edited by Saddletank on Sun May 14, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I don't follow you, Dark Rob is not seeing the issue.
Dark Rob said,

"So I finished LG-04 the eagle triumphs. I got about 2 or 3 weird cavalry results but nothing crazy"

" I played the entire 7 hour scenario but was unable to reproduce the French cavalry being slaughtered more than a few isolated times. Most of the time my cavalry did very well. This is really weird. Above my paygrade as well."
Leicestershire
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Dark Rob needs to comment here but he uses the phrase "weird results" which does not necessarily mean what you've been seeing, where units loose 100-0 or something like that. A "weird result" could be anything that's way outside an expected result.

Why do most of his combats work out historically plausible? Do yours mostly come out historically plausible and the 100-0 fights are rare? Or are all your fights 100-0 massacres?

If it only happens occasionally this could be explainable by terrain, widely different unit exhaustion levels, widely different opposing unit strengths, etc. I'm not saying I agree such results are plausible historically but they could be intended by the variables in play.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Dark Rob needs to comment here but he uses the phrase "weird results" which does not necessarily mean what you've been seeing, where units loose 100-0 or something like that. A "weird result" could be anything that's way outside an expected result.

Why do most of his combats work out historically plausible? Do yours mostly come out historically plausible and the 100-0 fights are rare? Or are all your fights 100-0 massacres?

If it only happens occasionally this could be explainable by terrain, widely different unit exhaustion levels, widely different opposing unit strengths, etc. I'm not saying I agree such results are plausible historically but they could be intended by the variables in play.
If I had to make a chart out I would say this, being an army level scenario I of course delegate alot of the micromanaging of units to the AI using the commander stances. 80% of all cavalry charges were probably handled by the AI. Of those they were pretty much squadron on squadron and the casualties were comparable on both sides, with one side or the other retreating. 15% were overwhelming French victories where the charges were hand picked by me and I outnumbered the Prussians greatly.

4% were overwhelming Prussians victories in instances of counter charges that I
didn't see coming and the French cavalry got caught and wrecked. This was usually after they had already charged some other Prussian unit and were on their way back.

Only about 1% of the time did I see a fresh French cavalry unit go up a against a Prussian cavalry unit and get mauled 100-0. Enough for me to say that roy64 is not crazy and this is happening on occasion. But not enough to prevent me from scoring a major victory.(Although as I said earlier, it's a tough battle to lose with that 5000 point hold objective on the Namur road)
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue May 16, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.