Some more little graphics mods and stuff...

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Jace11
Reactions:

Some more little graphics mods and stuff...

Post by Jace11 »

It's Christmas so I thought I'd share a few mods with you guys that I've had for a while but hadn't uploaded or anything.

1:

Here is another explosion effects mod for arty...

This one is inspired by (nay almost a copy) of the explosion effect from KS mod which, when I first saw it, impressed me. I hunted around the net for a similar effect to use as a source, in the end I managed to track down the original cannon hit6.mov that KS mod must have used and recaptured the frames from the video and made a new animation from scratch. There are also some new airburst effects processed from another source. If your running an arty mod it should be easy to integrate, I've just changed a few "Sprite Graphic" names in munitions to add a bit of variety, so that's the only column that will need porting.
The attachment screen0002_2016-12-23.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
screen0002_2016-12-23.jpg
screen0002_2016-12-23.jpg (459.6 KiB) Viewed 269 times
ExplosionEffects.zip
(658.43 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by Jace11 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Some more little mods and stuff...

Post by Saddletank »

Nice. I like the airbursts, though I'm not sure what ammunition type would cause them.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jace11
Reactions:

Post by Jace11 »

30 mm flak? - really struggled to find a good source. There aren't many nice free airburst animations around. I don't have any idea really what they would look like, I've never seen footage of 19th century shrapnel or shell airbursts, the only thing I can relate to is the special effects in films like the 1970 Waterloo. There is Napoleon Total Wars take on it too.. but that would be impossible with sprites alone. I think something like this would look nice, but I doubt its accurate for the period.

2. Replay Icons

This mod changes the texture of units in replay mode, they had colors and symbols more associated with Gettysburg and I struggled occasionally to tell the difference between cav and inf. I swapped symbols for large text (kept the original font though) and the same style, I tried a few other things that didn;t work out so well, felt it was best to keep them simple. A known issue is the text is reversed on the back of some of them, like the dutch infantry in the pic below, but that's an issue with the model, I can't reverse the texture as it would mess up the other facings.

The attachment screen0001_2016-12-23.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
screen0001_2016-12-23.jpg
screen0001_2016-12-23.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 269 times
ReplayIcons.zip
(54.3 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by Jace11 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jace11
Reactions:

Post by Jace11 »

3. Objective Icons

Some new objective icons for Waterloo. Made these a while ago when I noticed the French flag was red-white-blue, instead of blue-white-red.

You can install these as a mod as per usual, though I just overwrite the Misc.dds in Base/Graphics/Misc as it's only 1 file. Two options are available, Misc.dds has a combined British / Prussian flag for allied objectives. There is a second version with just a British flag for allied objectives, if you want to use that instead, rename "Misc (No Prussian).dds" to Misc.dds after deleting (or renaming) the other one.

The attachment screen0001_2016-12-23-2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
screen0001_2016-12-23-2.jpg
screen0001_2016-12-23-2.jpg (789.47 KiB) Viewed 269 times
ObjectiveIcons.zip
(237.93 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Asid
Reactions:

Post by Asid »

Thank you for taking the time to make these mods Jace11 :)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Jace11
In my artillery mod I have made shrapnel very much more lethal and effective at long range. i changed the normal canister effect to become an air burst and I am quite pleased with the effect that gives. The French described British shrapnel as being like black rain and that is pretty well what happens with canister as an air burst.

It is important that the effect is distinctive from a play perspective as a French player will find significant quantities of his men dead or disabled if they are left in the open under shrapnel bombardment. Historically the British used shrapnel to make the orchard by Hougoumont a no go area for the French. Unfortunately the game does not allow this type of indirect targeting but my mod does make a big difference to any attempt by the French to form up in plain view within 800 yards or so of a shrapnel capable battery.

Regards

Mike
Jace11
Reactions:

Post by Jace11 »

Friendly Map Icons

Moved this download from the thread in the Discussions forum to this thread. It's also now working as intended as I finally nailed the issue with the enemy icons appearing when you select one of their units and then open the map.. Now it should only show your own units all the time (apparently there is a #plyrside switch!!)..

This mod will remove enemy map icons from the minimap etc.

The attachment FriendlyMapIcons.zip is no longer available
Attachments
FriendlyMapIcons.zip
(16.61 KiB) Downloaded 9 times