Gettysburg 2017?

exp101
Reactions:

Gettysburg 2017?

Post by exp101 »

I'm strongly considering a pilgrimage to Gettysburg and (probably) Antietam about a year from now (i.e., late Sept/early Oct 2017). IMO the fall is far and away the best time of year to walk battlefields (nice temps, fewer tourists, great warm fall light and colors for photography). Just thinking that it might be fun, if we're still playing this silly game, to see if other GCM-types wanted to gather for, say, a dinner and/or night out and perhaps spend a day walking Gettysburg in the footsteps of Lee & Meade.

Anyway, something to think about!
johnd5555
Reactions:

Re: Gettysburg 2017?

Post by johnd5555 »

Great idea, Ron. I certainly would be I the running on this.
Robert MacLeod
John Dillon
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

It's always a good idea to go to Gettysburg. Some groups call this type of gathering a "muster". I may be interested as well.
Last edited by Little Powell on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Post by kg_sspoom »

Its been a couple of years since we have been there.
The wife loves Gettysburg so count us in.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

My wife's all in too -- since I told her about horseback riding available at the battlefield.
States
Reactions:

Post by States »

I'd like to see Burnside's Bridge or Bloody Lane the most out of those 2 battlefields but it would all be awesome of course. I've never seen a battlefield in the Eastern Theater. I'd be there if possible, not sure what my situation will be in a year though.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

The two battlefields are within an easy drive of each other. I'll probably scout a place to stay somewhere in between and spend a couple of days at each.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I went ahead and moved this topic to the ACW discussion. Also pinned it so it doesn't get lost. I think it's a great idea to have an "NSD Gettsburg Muster". :)
Mark
Reactions:

Post by Mark »

I drive to Antietam a couple times a year. I'm in. In fact I just got back from Europe (in the airport as we speak) and I'm heading to Antietam Saturday
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

Ill be in Lancaster tomorrow, might make it over to Gettysburg early next week.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson