GCM Mini-Campaigns After Action Reports

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
exp101
Reactions:

GCM Mini-Campaigns After Action Reports

Post by exp101 »

Throwing open a thread here to memorialize results and get player experiences from the Mini-Campaigns.

MC #1
Appropriately, the Union will be commanded in this first campaign by the irrepressible kg little mac. Our Young Napoleon itches to settle the question once and for all whether Lincoln biffed it up in 1862 when he sacked McClellan.

Step aside Lee, for our rebels will be led by none other than 1st Tenn Rogers, who has already announced his intention to move on Washington. Will Rogers enjoy historic success? Or will Jeff Davis soon be booking one-way train passage for him to lead the Okefenokee malaria research project? :sick:
Last edited by exp101 on Sat May 28, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: GCM Mini-Campaigns After Action Reports

Post by exp101 »

The Union is saved! (at least for the moment). Little Mac led the boys in blue to a pair of convincing victories in the first-ever GCM Mini-Campaign. See battles 47530 (70 minutes) and 47532 (60 minutes). The Rebs never seemed to get their feet under them as they faced a strong one-two punch first on the rebel right and then on the left in the second battle. The second battle saw the Yankees in clear command of the battlefield and undisputed strategic victory.

All players in 47530 carried over into 47532 where each side made way for an additional reinforcing division of 4 fresh regiments. With 12 and 14 players respectively, the format included 9 vps visible at start with an aggregate point value of 10%.
Last edited by exp101 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stonewallis
Reactions:

Post by Stonewallis »

Union can eat shit
KCarter
Reactions:

Post by KCarter »

Official Report:On the Division's operations in the actions near White's and Boyd's Farms
Hdqrs., Stahel's Division, In Camp near Boyd's Farm - 10:00pm June 4

TO: Major General Martin Elson, Army of The Potomac, cmdg.

[left].[/left]

Sir,

It is my pleasure to report to you the condition of my Division, following the two sharp engagements, on the 4th inst. of this month June, in The year of our Lord 186?. The following is my official report of the action near White's Farm on the morning of the 4th inst., as well as the subsequent action during the afternoon of the 4th near Boyd's Farm & the Division’s involvement:

At General Elson's command, I relayed the movement orders to my subordinates, and my men filed onto the road from camp and into marching order. General Elson directed General Longstreet, in command of our corps, to move north towards objectives 3 and 8. Longstreet complied, directing General Milam's forces along with my own to move forward with his on the right and secure defensive ground north of the Boyd Farm. The men effected this end with incredible alacrity.

In moving to secure a defensive line north of the Boyd Farm. Advance guards discovered heavy rebel columns moving in from the west northwest. It was learned this force was constituted of rebel General MacLeod, supported by elements of General Palmer's confederate divisions. General Longstreet's timely and cool placement of the corps under Elson's direction came at a crucial time. His Division and General Milam's were able to check the advancing rebel forces, who decided not to attack. As they contemplated the situation, my division filed into line on General Longstreet's left.

As the division came up into line; brigade front, the universe of battle lay before us. General Elson was personally coming up. I formed a defensive line with a reserve pulled up behind the main line. More rebel forces became visible, along with the left wing of our army. As General Elson came up, he noticed an opening; an opportunity to attack a critical point in the rebel line near a necessary objective point. General Elson rode over to me, sword drawn, and instructed me to "fix bayonets". He had a look of incredible determination about him. Complying I turned about and moved my men forward at the quick step. We had to cross a woodlot, and as we came to the edge of the treeline there in, the rebel line was visible across a clearing. The entire Federal left and center seemed to lunge forward at once at the exposed salient angle of the rebel line. The enemy stood some stubborn resistance, but it ultimately crumbled here with great loss of life. We drove them, and soon gained the contested objective in question. General Elson and General Woods Division's in tandem with General Maar's and my own hit the enemy in unison and eventually sent them flying. The fighting dissipated as the enemy quit the field shortly there after.

After resting in the shade of the trees there for sometime, we received the word to move forward, and assayed to go again. General Longstreet, still commanding our corps, directed me to follow his division forward on the right flank of our Army. As we advanced out of the trees, we neared a low ridge to our front. We could see rebel infantry roughly 400-500 yards to our front as we closed on their position. Advance guards and intelligence indicated this force was not at full strength; that we had already faced them in the first engagement.

Following orders received from The Commanding General I deployed my men into Line of battle, to move forward on the right flank for a general advance. Just as we neared the rise to deploy into Line of Battle we noticed the rebel line in a vulnerable state, and took advantage. General Longstreet and I, with weight of numbers and position, forced the enemy from this position. In pushing forward my division was able to gain the road that lead west towards the Boyd Farm. We used this to cut the rebel forces on their left flank in two. After we got them on their heels, they continued to fallback. We seized and held the Boyd farm and established a defensive line West of the objective there. My division remained here until the engagement ended and the enemy again eventually retired from the field.

The Division sustained about 35% casualties; 990 total, and we expect to have inflicted about 1190 casualties in the first engagement near White's Farm. The Division sustained about 18% casualties; 443 total, and we expect to have inflicted about 582 casualties in the second engagement near Boyd's Farm.

In conclusion, I would respectfully call attention again to the coolness and gallantry evidenced under the most trying circumstances by all the men with the Division throughout the duration of the engagements. My compliments to Generals Elson, Longstreet, Maar, Woods, to the field & staff officers, and all involved. I humbly submit to you this report of The Division’s actions on the 4th inst. Thank You Sir.

I Am, Respectfully, Your most obedient servant,

Maj. Gen. Milo L. Stahel
Commanding , Stahel's Division
1st Corps, Army of The Potomac
U N I O N A R M Y

[left].[/left]
Last edited by KCarter on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnd5555
Reactions:

Post by johnd5555 »

Certainly an excellent report indeed.... I for one suffered from the painful loss our gallant rebels sustained... it is a rare day that our men find defeat in two battles in succession.

Other than being somewhat bummed regarding the defeats, I must say that the format of the mini campaign, is most promising. I really like the linked nature of battles, but I am a bit disappointed in the general conduct of the battle.... woe is me....

I look forward to the day that armies might approach, recon, understand the battlefield, and the disposition of forces, disengage, form a battle plan, and try to execute said plan.... we still seem to head down the road, try and gain ground, meet the enemy, and with simple adjustment, fight it out. If you happen to be on in a weak area, your challenge is simply to survive, and/or withdraw... if you happen to be in a strong position, then you try and take advantage... We try and form on each others flanksfor protection, and support, but very little goes down regarding coordination as an army, other than, hey, we are being destroyed down here, you need to attack up there....

I am thinking that this mini campaign format might lead to more than these simpler engagements, even linked as they are... perhaps more of a delay and heart to heart before the battle might help more in this area, but I guess it really will be entirely up to THE general in charge... Don't think I am capable of such lofty strategic thinking, but that is why some of us are commanders and some more capable in lesser roles.
Benmilam
Reactions:

Post by Benmilam »

I too enjoyed the mini-campaign and look forward to future ones. Three cheers for Palmer's patience on scheduling this game. I can't speak for the rebs, but I think one of the key factors for the Union, was communication and command structure. KG Soldier set himself as the true army commander and Longstreet as the Corps commander. Plan from beginning was to take orders from commanders. This led to a coordinated attack on or left while playing defense on the right adjusting as needed.

I know not many people are in favor of carriers, but I wonder if there could be some type structure setup in teamspeak where people can't talk in one group. The first game may have turned out differently if someone on the right could just tell someone on the left to send troops. Example, army commander in one room while corps in separate rooms. It may be not worth the complication, but would like to add the element of miscommunication to the game.

Overall, mini-campaign, the addition of FOW, ID restriction, low VP has added extra flavor to the games, I think adding a bit more realism and enjoyment. I think it has challenged the tactics from form a line to defend objectives to consolidate and attempt to destroy the army first.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Certainly an excellent report indeed.... I for one suffered from the painful loss our gallant rebels sustained... it is a rare day that our men find defeat in two battles in succession.
That's Little Mac for you. History seriously under-rates him :P
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Note: I wasn't going to write a report like this, but had a few extra minutes this morning and, well... got a bit carried away.

HEADQUARTERS SECOND DIVISION, SECOND ARMY CORPS,
Near White's Farm, Virginia, June 4, 1862.

Col. RANDOLPH B. MARCY,
Chief of Staff.
Maj. Gen. MARTIN ELSON, Acting Commander, Army of The Potomac

COLONEL: I have the honor to report that this division performed its duty in service of the Union with the utmost excellence on the fields around White's and Litton's farms. On the afternoon of that day, my division was called up from its detached duty guarding trains five miles to the east, proceeding with much haste to the west along the turnpike, joining the Corps and reporting to Gen. Woods. The Army's action that morning ended with the decisive repulse of the enemy near Boyd's Farm to the north. The enemy did not withdraw from the field, to our surprise, falling back to reorganize and proceeding to march southwest in an attempt to turn the Army's left. Following several hours of light skirmishing by both armies' pickets, our Corps was ordered by Gen. Elson to march northwest toward White's Farm, my division on the left, Woods's First Division in the center, Maar's Division on the right. When my division arrived south of White's Farm, I posted the 100th Penn. and 69th New York north of the road, with the 8th New York behind a stone fence along the road and the 175th Penn. south west to support Capt. Mossman's and Capt. Dechenhouser's batteries. Gen. Woods's skirmishers contacted the advanced guard of the enemy's division under Gen. Palmer, which rapidly turned into a regular engagement. My division moved to support the right, as the enemy was driven off with high casualties.

A large enemy column was then observed marching south from the vicinity of Boyd's Farm toward the First Corps position south of White's Farm. Gens. Elson and Bryant, forming a line to protect the left flank of the army, were soon faced with five rebel divisions concentrating an assault upon the left. My division faced left and advanced to meet Gen. Elson's right near the intersection, when orders were received that the First Corps and my division were to withdraw to the east. It cannot be overstated the precision and coolness that the three divisions displayed during that withdrawal. The enemy was forced to fight for every foot of ground, and already having seen much action that morning, were tired and could not maintain the assault upon our new position. The 100th Penn., posted on a stone fence at the intersection, held its position for several minutes, critically delaying nearly 8,000 of the enemy and allowing my division to reposition to the east with few casualties. In this new defensive position, I posted the 100th and 175th Penn. regiments on the right to continue the line north with Woods's First Division, and the 8th and 69th New York regiments on the left where they met and supported Gen. Elson's right flank and the 81st Ohio and 27th Penn. Here commenced heavy fighting for more than 20 minutes, yet the enemy did not gain on our line.

It was at this time that I received a courier with word of the Third Corps attack launched against the enemy on the Army's right flank, as the enemy was much weaker to the north.

My men, exhausted and nearly out of ammunition, begged to launch a counterattack upon the enemy. I must have disappointed them when I would not issue such an order. The conduct of the officers and men was during the engagement everything that could be desired, displaying gallantry and discipline at every moment during that afternoons action.

The loss in the brigade was 52 killed, 370 wounded, 45 missing; total, 467.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

MICHAEL V. BYRNE,
Major-General of Volunteers, Commanding

Last edited by mike1984 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

From the diary of one General Martin Elson, aka Little Mac, kg soldier:

The rebs had pushed us around for too long. On the peninsula, I must admit, I found myself trembling during the onslaught of fanatical charges by the ill-clad, southern zealots. Our men were quick to drop their rifles and run, my officers too eager to join them. Time and again the soldiers of this slave-owning heathen Tarrant, better known to his men as Stonewallis or 1st Tennessee Rogers, drove us from battlefield after battlefield, taking our guns and cannon and supplies.

However, in spite of horrific casualties, we did not crumble. We grew stronger by the month. Finally, at Antietam, we drove them, but at a heavy toll. Since that fateful September morning, we have sparred with Tarrant and his rag-tag lot, neither side able to gain the upper hand. But each contest acted as a school for my men and officers, giving us knowledge and resolve. We no longer dreaded the rebel charge, rarely fled from tough predicaments.

On This beautiful early June day, we turned the tables on the boys from the South. I decided it was time the rebels learn what it’s like to be the recipients of a charge.

Battle 1:

The plan was simple, find the enemy flank and flail into it with overwhelming strength. My two crack brigades would lead the way. To my left, the stable warhorse Ellis (kg sspoom) and his two fine brigades. Supporting my right, Mabe’s (EJ) and Stahel’s (Carter) divisions. I knew I could count on these fine officers to support my attack with vigor. On the right flank, the flakey Texan, Bryant (Ben Milam), and the cautious Riply (Longstreet) were tasked with holding as much of the enemy in place as possible so that the left would garner numerical superiority to go along with our moral advantage.

When I saw a Confederate Brigade take flight before me into a thick wood, God Almighty himself spoke to me and told me the time had come to deal Satan’s disciple a crippling blow. I ordered my two brigades into assault columns and moved forward, Ellis sent one brigade alongside mine and his second moved to flank the enemy’s right.

My boys charged through a small stream and up into the heart of rebel a brigade, “HUZZAH” replaced the rebel yell and I believe was even louder and more frightful. But the rebs held their ground. Unfortunately for the enemy, their line formed a right angle where the rebel brigade had fallen back into the wood. I ordered Mabe and Stahel forward like there was no tomorrow, and come they did.
Just as my men surged into the rebel line, I saw another rebel brigade (or two) forming up to bolster the line. For a moment, I questioned my decision. Had God told me to attack this day? Or had the Deceiver, Satan, fooled me again? There was no turning back. I trusted my faith and rode into the fray to encourage my men. We fought like madmen against the certified crazies who had few shoes.

Mabe and Stahel pushed forward. Sspoom drove the rebel right back. To my horror I saw at least two more rebel divisions moving up behind the now in serious danger rebel line. To my delight, the reinforcing Confederates stopped short and formed a line. We pushed on and the rebel line in front of us crumbled and fled. Sspoom’s flanking brigade turned their edge and the rout was on.

What a day! We endured 4421 casualties but inflicted 5592 on the rebs.

The question, however, was what would Tarrant do now? Would he regroup and fight again? Or would he flee and lick his severe wounds? I knew he would fight again. I feared he would be like an angry, wounded giant, hell bent on revenge.

Of course I was right. Battle 2 would be almost as fierce as was battle 1.

Battle 2 to follow.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.