Non-random maps in GCM

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
mike1984
Reactions:

Non-random maps in GCM

Post by mike1984 »

This can be put on the wish list for the future of GCM.

I launched a sandbox game today using the Chickamauga map (link) and it was really beautifully done. The minimap was hard to view (you'll see what I mean if you download the map). But the map itself was one that I'd love to see brought into GCM someday.

I had asked Garnier a few years back about the Chancellorsville maps and others. He said at that point he just never got around to finishing adding the minimaps for them.

I understand why non-random maps are the preferred maps for GCM MP games. But adding in some of these custom-made maps would be nice, too.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: Non-random maps in GCM

Post by exp101 »

Mike,
While Garnier remains helpful in assisting us in keeping GCM functioning, it would be naive to think he's going to take an active role in making substantive improvements/enhancements to what we currently have. Within the past week he has provided basic access and training necessary to turn over creation of new random maps to me, and he was also fine with looking to outside help (Kevin) to create the modified GCM Toolbar/restricted ID. Beyond that, unless there's something amazingly simple that someone in our circle has the expertise to handle himself, IMO you're wasting your time dreaming up wish lists for GCM.
Last edited by exp101 on Thu May 19, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Nowhere did I say I thought Garnier would be taking any active role. I said that I asked him about it years back only to give some reference that it's something he said could be done if someone wanted to do it. Do we even know what is involved in adding specific maps to GCM? Do we know that no one has the expertise to execute it? No and no. So don't dismiss it like I'm asking for someone to code a new operating system.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Who do you have in mind to do this?
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

It depends on what is really involved in doing it. Here is the referenced exchange w/Garnier from 2014.

http://philipmcg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=628

At the time I had only asked about the minimaps. But if someone could ask Garnier what is involved in getting specific maps added to the GCM mod, then we will know how difficult it is.

I don't have a direct line to Garnier, or I'd ask him myself. He hasn't replied, nor do I expect him, to my emails in the past. That understandable, which is why someone else will have to ask about this..

But back to the original post on this, I didn't intend for this to be something for right now.