Restricted ID Mod

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
exp101
Reactions:

Restricted ID Mod

Post by exp101 »

Everyone,
With Garnier's consent it has been possible to create a mod for GCM that severely limits the amount of information available in GCM games about enemy officers and units. Kevin K. (from the KS HITS group) did the real work in making this for us -- so be especially nice to him when you cross paths!

Basically, with this mod activated, clicking on an enemy officer or unit flag, will show you no info whatever in the unit box of the button rock. This will make it difficult not only to know who is opposing your division on the field, but when all enemy divisions are visible and/or engaged. If you're a fan of Fog of War, we just added more fog! ;)

The new mod is a variation of the GCM Toolbar.

1) Download the attachment below -- or from this link:
[url=http://]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hs3kw0emrolk ... -6Zza?dl=0[/url]
2) Unzip the contents to c:\Matrix Games\Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Mods\ -- or wherever your game resides
3) Launch SoWGB and go to "Modifications"
4) Move the the new "GCM_Toolbar - Restricted ID" mod if you like, but it must fall below the regular "GCM_Toolbar" mod
5) Activate the new Restricted ID mod (there's no need to deactivate the regular "GCM_Toolbar" mod)

When you want to play a "regular" game with full enemy ID info, simply deactivate the Restricted ID version of the GCM Toolbar.

Nothing to it. See you (or at least someone who might be you) on the battlefield! :ohmy:

The attachment GCMToolbar-RestrictedID.zip is no longer available
Attachments
GCMToolbar-RestrictedID.zip
(887.73 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by exp101 on Tue May 17, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike1984
Reactions:

Re: Restricted ID Mod

Post by mike1984 »

How did the live battle go?
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Others should chime in, but I think it went quite well. There was certainly more mystery in the air. :unsure:
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Except for Ron making a tactical mistake, I liked it.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Well, there's that. The hill I was on was just too much of a temptation. It was the age-old problem of staying a few minutes too long. In last night's game #47232 (I had Soldier's small brigade), we Yanks did almost everything wrong while the Rebs attacked in exactly the right spot. Not pretty.

Through a couple of games with the mod it's interesting to listen to the TS chat as players try to figure out who they're fighting based upon unit size and fighting style. So far there have been some interesting surprises when checking the battle replay. Additional uncertainty is introduced with the mod as you can never really be sure when all enemy divisions have arrived on the field. Bottom line is that use of the Restricted ID mod introduces enhanced opportunity to make poor battlefield choices. And that, as we all know, is the definition of fun. :dry:
Last edited by exp101 on Wed May 18, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I like playing this way. The new settings opens up new challenges.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Are you guys playing Restricted ID games using blind rules?
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Typically, yes. But hosts are always free, of course, to do what they want. We've also played a few with the low-value vp's, although Rogers set up a more conventional game last night.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

I'm curious to see if scouting to the front and flanks becomes more common when playing with the Restricted ID & FOW format. Without knowing which divisions each regiment belongs to, it would seem to become more important than ever to better gather information on how large an enemy force is when first contacted. In traditional GCM games, being able to see that there are two enemy divisions represented in a mass of troops to one's front or flank could help determine right away whether or not to fight or flee. But with the Restricted ID format, you only know the enemy is there, but much less about how many divisions you're facing.

I look forward to fighting one of these battles.